Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Have I made a dreadful mistake?

Feedback Score

Have I made a dreadful mistake?

I may have really done it this time....

My husband and i have used Trakfone for years for medium-light duty voice/text cell phone activity in our rural coastal Maine region. Been very cost effective. Verizon is the big player here, with US cellular in 2nd place and with a little bit of ATT.
    Because we a Mac users I just bought an unlocked iphone 7 because I wanted to get contacts, calender and other stuff synched onto the phone. Now I realize that it will only do ATT or T mobile. Or I think that is what I am seeing. Arghh!
    Am I right about that?

So are these my choices a) switch to verizon pre or post paid at higher cost or 2) sell the new unlocked iphone 7

Am I right that Verizon Wireless would likely have better coverage that trakfone network. I ask because we have noticed that our friends using Verizon tend to have better reception than we do. If so, it may be time, to finally jump to Verizon.

Obviously I have not really been paying attention to cell phones all these years; just doing trakfone. But when on a trip to Denver our old android not-very-smart trak phones couldn't do Uber or Lyft and we found taxis don't exist anymore we figured we better get caught up.....

Many thanks for your help

Peridot

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mbb04915 View Post
    I just bought an unlocked iphone 7.... Now I realize that it will only do ATT or T mobile. Or I think that is what I am seeing. Arghh! Am I right about that?
    I know very little about iPhones. Some other forum members can tell you whether or not your unlocked iPhone 7 can be used with Verizon. If it can, you can use it as Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) on Tracfone/Verizon. Basically, you first check on TF web site to see if your iPhone 7 is eligible for activation. If it is, you buy a TF BYOP SIM Kit for $1 at Best Buy, Dollar General, Family Dollar, etc. , put a CDMA (Verizon) SIM into the phone. Contact TF Customer Service via call or Chat and ask the rep to transfer service from your current Tracfone to the SIM in your iPhone 7. Your phone number, service days, and balance will be transferred over to the iPhone 7.

Feedback Score
    tracfone does have / uses verizon but it's native coverage only with no roaming.
    your unlocked iphone will work just fine.

Feedback Score
    I thought iPhones 5 and later were all universal. The hardware should be there to talk to Verizon towers but it maybe locked to AT&T.

Where did you buy it from? Are you sure it is unlocked?

If you continue to have problems, return the phone and get one that is explicitly "Verizon" (but not prepaid). Verizon actually doesn't lock their phones because of some FCC agreement a few years back. So those models actually work with AT&T and T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Ooooh, so maybe I got and activated the wrong sim card. The phone is brand new, direct from Apple and definately unlocked. But the sim card Trakfone sent me is labeled for T mobile or GSM compatible devices. i don't remember having a choice of SIM cards when I sent away for it; I do remember them asking for my zip code. (04915) and what kind of phone it was going to be used in.

Maybe I shouldn't worry about the Tmobile label and just figure its running off of GSM??

Feedback Score
    I should clarify that I activated the sim card and the phone is running with two bars for reception strength

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    So much misinformation being posted!

If the iPhone 7 was made for AT&T or T-Mobile, it will NOT work on Vzw. If it's Vzw or SIM Free, it will work on any of the 3 networks being discussed.

Feedback Score
    I just bought an unlocked iphone 7....Now I realize that it will only do ATT or T mobile. Or I think that is what I am seeing. Arghh!
    Am I right about that?

Am I right that Verizon Wireless would likely have better coverage that trakfone network. I ask because we have noticed that our friends using Verizon tend to have better reception than we do. If so, it may be time, to finally jump to Verizon.
    Yes, there seem to be iPhone models that don't work on all carriers. AT&T (maybe also T-Mobile) models may not have CDMA capability. Verizon models usually have GSM capability and are unlocked for that. How do you know your model will not work on Verizon? Models A1778 and A1784 do not work on CDMA.

Maine can be a difficult place for cell coverage from postings on this forum. AT&T is pretty weak in large areas, and the rest is Verizon and US Cellular. The north coast is all USC. Verizon customers have Extended Network, which is roaming on another carrier. You will not get this with TracFone service.

Feedback Score
    Ooooh, so maybe I got and activated the wrong sim card. The phone is brand new, direct from Apple and definately unlocked. But the sim card Trakfone sent me is labeled for T mobile or GSM compatible devices. i don't remember having a choice of SIM cards when I sent away for it; I do remember them asking for my zip code. (04915) and what kind of phone it was going to be used in.

Maybe I shouldn't worry about the Tmobile label and just figure its running off of GSM??
    You should NOT have let TracFone decide which carrier to use. You can get SIM activation kits from many retail and online sources that have the 3 carriers. What is the model number of the SIM you used? The first six numbers of the ID determine the carrier: 890126 = T-Mobile, 890141 = AT&T, 891480 = Verizon.

Feedback Score
    The first six digits of the SIM are 890126. eg T Mobile. Will be in Walmart tomorrow, incidentally is an hour away : ) and I should be able to get
    a trac fone sim card for Verizon network eg 891480. I am sure they did not ask me when I ordered it on line from trakfone: just zip code and model # of phone

Feedback Score
    Apple with the iPhone 7 and newer iPhones uses either the Qualcomm modem or Intel modem. Only the Qualcomm modem will work with CDMA and non CDMA carriers.

Plenty of buyers for both iPhone models.

Feedback Score
    How do I tell which modem the phone has on board?

Feedback Score
    I found it on Forbes. I am good. Got a Qualcomm modem. Dumb luck on that one. So I hope I can swap in a CDMA sim card tomorrow

Feedback Score
    The first six digits of the SIM are 890126. eg T Mobile. Will be in Walmart tomorrow, incidentally is an hour away : ) and I should be able to get
    a trac fone sim card for Verizon network eg 891480. I am sure they did not ask me when I ordered it on line from trakfone: just zip code and model # of phone
    Would be helpful if you can post the model number here so it can be looked up as to capability. If only GSM capable, you might have to get rid of it because of poor service. If CDMA capable you will have to transfer service from the current T-Mobile activation.

Walmart is funny about SIM kit prices. Usually these are $1 but they can charge more. It will be hard to find a triple minute SIM kit now. Many are smartphone only kits now. Some of the smaller retail stores still have the older triple minute kits.

Feedback Score
    In your area Verizon should have decent coverage per your zipcode. Depending on your monthly usage cost however USC prepaid might be worth looking into if you need the roaming.

Can try rite aid for SIM cards if Walmart doesn't have them. If you head to Bangor you have the Bangor and Brewer Walmarts to try.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast