Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited hotspot or Satellite internet?

Feedback Score

Unlimited hotspot or Satellite internet?

Trying to help family members decide on using Satellite for home internet or an AT&T mobile hotspot. The download speed on satellite is around 16mbps and upload around 5mbps with the ping being between 600-700ms. The AT&T speed while testing it on iPhone is between 1-2mbps download and .50-1mbps on upload with the ping being between 50-60ms. All information is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus QCOM, SM-G950U1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    It all really depends. What do you mostly use your connection for?

Feedback Score
    My niece uses a hotspot device with a weBoost device installed in her house. She cancelled her satellite internet which was more expensive.

Feedback Score
    They will use it for regular surfing. Would like to try and get a home security camera system to able to monitor home from phones. Not sure if that is possible with either one.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tln89 View Post
    They will use it for regular surfing. Would like to try and get a home security camera system to able to monitor home from phones. Not sure if that is possible with either one.

Okay, yeah the home security might be iffy on both, especially satellite with its noticeably high ping times. If anything, I would recommend getting the new Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot. What area is this located in?

Feedback Score

Unlimited hotspot or Satellite internet?

Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    Okay, yeah the home security might be iffy on both, especially satellite with its noticeably high ping times. If anything, I would recommend getting the new Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot. What area is this located in?
    So, you think that the cameras might work better with the hotspot? Normally a Verizon area.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    So, you think that the cameras might work better with the hotspot? Southern Indiana. Normally a Verizon area.

Yes. I think the Hotspot would be a better option. You can also get a external antenna for it, if I’m not mistaken. Satellite is just... ugh.

Feedback Score
    Trying to help them decide they just moved and the people who sold it left on their Satellite until they figure out what they are doing. I really am not sure. The AT&T hotspot without phone plan is $95/month. How comparable is that to Satellite?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Trying to help them decide they just moved and the people who sold it left on their Satellite until they figure out what they are doing. I really am not sure. The AT&T hotspot without phone plan is $95/month. How comparable is that to Satellite?

With satellite, it can get pricey since there are data limits.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    With satellite, it can get pricey since there are data limits.
    The company that is currently being used their says it unlimited unless there is congestion.

Feedback Score
    Trying to help family members decide on using Satellite for home internet or an AT&T mobile hotspot. The download speed on satellite is around 16mbps and upload around 5mbps with the ping being between 600-700ms. The AT&T speed while testing it on iPhone is between 1-2mbps download and .50-1mbps on upload with the ping being between 50-60ms. All information is greatly appreciated!
    The latency of the satellite will make it seem slower by being less responsive. Every time you click on a link it will take nearly a second for anything to happen.

I get decent speeds on mobile data. My Ring doorbell camera is very sluggish over mobile data. Running security cameras on 0.5-1 Mbps data is probably not going to work well if at all. It is the upload speed that counts for cameras. They are uploading to you through the Internet.

I lived with 1 Mbps cable until just a few years ago. It was ok for email and light web browsing for two people. We could even stream medium resolution Netflix if only one person was using it. The Netflix would take about 30 seconds to start, then another 30 seconds to buffer. After that it ran without interruption. I have streamed low res Netflix on 500 Kbps hotel Wifi.

Others may know about prices and services. I have a Mifi hotspot that works great on AT&T, but the plan is no longer available.

Feedback Score
    The company that is currently being used their says it unlimited unless there is congestion.
    I saw Hughes advertising that on TV yesterday. I have not read the fine print. They used to throttle down to useless speed after the high speed allotment was used.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score

It should be, after you use the certain data allotment, your speeds will be painfully slow. I still stand by my Hotspot w/External antenna recommendation. I do think that would be best.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I saw Hughes advertising that on TV yesterday. I have not read the fine print. They used to throttle down to useless speed after the high speed allotment was used.
    They throttle down to 1-3Mbps after FAP on Gen. 5. Is hardly call that useless.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    They throttle down to 1-3Mbps after FAP on Gen. 5. Is hardly call that useless.
    I agree. They used to throttle it so slow that the only thing you could do with it was to use it to pay for more GB. That was like seven years ago.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast