Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do you use prepaid because it makes sound economic sense?

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-tmb rugby 3
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Do you use prepaid because it makes sound economic sense?

Above. A reply on another thread reminded me when I first ported to cricket of the stigma associated with prepaid services. I've not seen this as much recently. Btw,I first heard about cricket on Clark howard personnel finance radio program.

My question, how many are with prepaid even thought they could well afford the more expensive postpaid service?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    I had AT&T post-paid and was able to cancel my contract on five lines when they made a material change to my contract. Yes, I can afford the over $250 I was paying per month, but then I found out MVNOs such as H2O, Airvoice, etc used the exact same signal for half the price. Then I found out the iPhones we used on ATT also worked fine without unlocking. So I used MVNOs prepaid (Airvoice, H2O, Blackwireless) and ended up at Cricket and the service has been pretty much the same.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yep, I always went with a service because it cost the least while providing acceptable service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Above. A reply on another thread reminded me when I first ported to cricket of the stigma associated with prepaid services. I've not seen this as much recently. Btw,I first heard about cricket on Clark howard personnel finance radio program.

My question, how many are with prepaid even thought they could well afford the more expensive postpaid service?
    Cricket has a huge stigma associated with the service because its bargain bin AT&T. That's different from other prepaid services that don't throttle. Cricket as a brand is like those knock-off items you find in your grocery store.

For example, Cricket associates itself with WWE (i.e fake wresting). That should tell you what they think about their customer base. Compare that to MetroPCS and UFC.

I don't use prepaid because its cheaper, I use it because wireless service should be free of gimmicks like financing, contracts, and convoluted service plans. People on post-paid are getting ripped off thinking they're getting premium service. All they get is a premium price.

Feedback Score
    The taxes were the main reason for me. When I was on AT&T, you could look up their plans, figure up a price, but then you always ended up paying $20 to $50 more than that.

I don't trade out phones that often. And when I do, I usually ebay them. Perhaps it's cheaper to finance a phone through a carrier, but it was always just easier for me to save up money to buy a new phone outright and then lower my monthly bill. It also helps if you don't have to have the latest and greatest phones (especially if you're not an iphone user) so you can save on phone expenses.

Feedback Score
    Yes I am with prepaid because of the savings.

And I hated (disliked) my bill would be any damn amount they wanted.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Feedback Score
    My wife uses Cricket because AT&T coverage is superior to T-Mobile. She uses very little data as she is in the house most of the time. It just works.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    People on post-paid are getting ripped off thinking they're getting premium service. All they get is a premium price.
    This isn't true at all. This may be your opinion but it doesn't make it true. Show me a prepaid provider that offers the same exact service as their postpaid counterpart. All prepaid plans come with restrictions. Either prioritization restrictions, throttled speed restrictions, throttled video content restrictions, or a combination of all 3. Not to mention customer service issues. For some the savings prepaid can offer is worth these restrictions, as those issues aren't important to them. For others they want the best possible service they can get on the carrier they choose and only postpaid offers that. If someone is happy with their service, and deems what they are getting meets their needs, wants and desires, they aren't getting "ripped off". That's just something you feel happens because it appears you need validation for your choices. I'm not sure why, that's an issue you need to work out, but it's entirely a case of personal preference. Stand by your own choices, choose what you want, trying to make it sound like you know something others don't or somehow you are the key holder behind deals and others are getting "ripped off" just to validate your choices is pointless. Use what works for you. Most people are secure enough in their own choices they don't feel the need for validation from others as to what's a good deal or not.

Feedback Score
    After getting ripped off by Verizon for 20+ years I found out about Pageplus and never looked back. The only reason I switched to Cricket is because Pageplus/Verizon doesn't get a signal at my hunting cabin. Cricket has been really solid for me over the last 2 years. No question that postpaid gives ya better coverage and service but I don't think it's worth the extra cost. I almost think some people are staying on Postpaid cuz they can't afford to purchase a flagship phone without financing. Postpaid kinda made sense years ago when carriers gave you a free phone every year or two.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I quit Verizon post-paid when they stopped heavily subsidizing phones, about 3 years ago.The value of selling your soul for a 2-year contract was gone. I bought a $75 Cricket-branded phone and a $35 plan and never looked back.

Then I replaced it with a $50 Cricket-branded phone. 6 months later, Cricket was no longer competitive (for plans that worked with my needs) so I unlocked it and went to H2O for $27/2GB. Now that Cricket is $30/2GB I'll probably switch back when I want/need a new phone, because H2O has lousy devices.

Feedback Score
    I started on prepaid in the late 90s because I had bad credit. I eventually got a postpaid plan but the value in prepaid vs postpaid is ridiculous!!!
    i can certainly afford a postpaid plan now but after being on prepaid since 2008 why would I pay more for less. I buy brand new flagship Androids on Ebay that are a model year or two behind and use it with unlimited everything on AT&T for $55 after autopay.

Feedback Score
    I'm with prepaid because of the cost.
    I don't need the amount of service that post paid offers.

I started with a Tracfone when I was in school because I wanted a phone in case I needed to make emergency calls when I would walk home from my after school job because it would be dark when I was walking home.

I stayed with prepaid because as I said before I don't need the amount of service offered.
    And I don't want to pay more for something I don't really need.

I could afford to get on a post paid service if that is what I need but I don't need unlimited in any category of service.

I also like to switch around and try different services.
    I have stayed with T-Mobile prepaid for several years due to the value I perceive I am getting.
    T-Mobile has always been strong where I live.

Even if I was a quadrillionaire I doubt that I would bother with post paid service.

EDIT :: Oops sorry I didn't notice that this was for the Cricket forum.
    Please disregard.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4
    *After All, There Is Nothing Real Outside Our Perception Of Reality, Is There?*

Feedback Score
    Yep.

The math usually proves that prepaid is the way to go if you want to save $$$ on mobile service.

I've been contract free for going on 13 years. The $$$ I've saved, even with buying my own phones, has been huge.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    ....I almost think some people are staying on Postpaid cuz they can't afford to purchase a flagship phone without financing....
    I bet that's exactly the reason.

Feedback Score
    I have post paid because my 7 lines even with taxes is cheaper than Cricket for a similar plan. Once the lines are reduced to me and the wife, we would switch to prepaid if it is cheaper for us.

Since the major carriers are heavily invested in prepaid, the stigma has left prepaid except for the prepaid providers with horrible customer service such as the Slim companies.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast