Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Announces Galaxy S8 Active with B71 support

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus QCOM, SM-G950U1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile Announces Galaxy S8 Active with B71 support

The S8 Active is now at T-Mobile, and it supports 600 MHz Band 71. Here’s the link to the news release: https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...axy-active.htm

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Awesome. I’m getting one! B71 is meaningless for me, but the non-curved screen is everything!

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile customers can snag the Galaxy S8 Active for $100 down and $30 per month (FRP: $820) on T-Mobile’s Equipment Installment Plan over 24 months, or $100 down and $29 per month on a JUMP! On Demand 18-month lease.
    Since I have always purchase my T-Mobile phone in full could someone explain this Jump On Demand 18-month lease? I see people on here that want out of the Jump program but it sounds like I am just leasing the phone for 18 months. Is Jump a good deal since I expect a lot better phones coming out early next year with the Snapdragon 845 processor but this S8 Active in a hardened case and big battery sound pretty good to me.

Where I live in South Florida I won't have any chance for Band 71 service for a while but I should get the new Band 66 service soon and expect some small cell wi-fi service. I am getting close to needing to replace my LG G4 that has been fixed from the bootloop issue but seems to discharge the battery too fast now. I see 5G phones coming in late 2018 and early 2019 that would be more useful to me since I think I would like to Jump out for a 5G phone when they are available.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Since I have always purchase my T-Mobile phone in full could someone explain this Jump On Demand 18-month lease? I see people on here that want out of the Jump program but it sounds like I am just leasing the phone for 18 months.
    Yeah I thought that in the past, the payment on JOD was significantly less than EIP. Since you have to leave a significant downpayment on the table, it doesn't seem like a great deal. I think the perception of advantage from the customer point of view of a lease is lower payments. And that's not really the case here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Since I have always purchase my T-Mobile phone in full could someone explain this Jump On Demand 18-month lease? I see people on here that want out of the Jump program but it sounds like I am just leasing the phone for 18 months. Is Jump a good deal since I expect a lot better phones coming out early next year with the Snapdragon 845 processor but this S8 Active in a hardened case and big battery sound pretty good to me.
    You can read the full details at the link below. But since it allows you to upgrade the device once every 30 days (with new down payment) it allows you to easily trade in a current device and get something new. Of course you have the option to keep it for the whole 18 months if you want and turn it in then or pay it off at any time.

It's hard to really run the math comparisons without the down payments and monthly payment amounts as they seem to fluctuate. But I would try to run the math for based upon current devices to see if how much it would cost to switch to one of the new devices early next year.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-22281

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Awesome. I’m getting one! B71 is meaningless for me, but the non-curved screen is everything!
    Same here. I already have great LTE coverage and density in my area and we aren't getting Band 71 anytime soon.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This phone is the SM-G892U, correct? It was certified at the FCC with every LTE, UMTS, GSM and CDMA frequency available in the US, and yet only on T-Mobile and Sprint? I'd think with the frequency support and Samsung's own "U" designator indicating unlocked, it would be possible to activate it on any carrier, correct?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post
    This phone is the SM-G892U, correct? It was certified at the FCC with every LTE, UMTS, GSM and CDMA frequency available in the US, and yet only on T-Mobile and Sprint? I'd think with the frequency support and Samsung's own "U" designator indicating unlocked, it would be possible to activate it on any carrier, correct?
    Well att already sells the S8 active, they have for a bit. Yes if you buy the unlocked version you can use it wherever you want. If you buy one of the carrier versions of it typically Samsung devices have carrier specific software, so to use it elsewhere generally you have to flash the unlocked software to the device.

Feedback Score
    It can not be SM-G892U: this model does not support UMTS Band 4 which is required for T-Mobile. This model also does not support CDMA bands of Sprint:

http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devic..._active_td-lte

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    It can not be SM-G892U: this model does not support UMTS Band 4 which is required for T-Mobile. This model also does not support CDMA bands of Sprint:

http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devic..._active_td-lte
    Not sure that's correct. Here's the FCC filings on it.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor..._id=A3LSMG892U

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    If it's a Samsung, I'll bet it will be crippled by the carriers.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    If it's a Samsung, I'll bet it will be crippled by the carriers.
    This is likely true of the carrier branded versions. Each carrier has their own brand specific software that makes it almost unusable on any other carrier without flashing the stock unlocked firmware.

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile version should be SM-G892T

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    Not sure that's correct. Here's the FCC filings on it.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor..._id=A3LSMG892U
    Without GSM 900/1800 MHz, UMTS Band 1 and LTE band 3 this phone will be unusable outside North America (while in roaming or local SIM card), unless this certification is only for bands used in North America. In this case it would be interesting to see what are all supported bands.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    T-Mobile version will be SM-G892T
    probably, And the Sprint version will be g892s. The only difference between the versions will be the software running on it. The TMobile version software will lock out everything not needed for TMobile and the Sprint software will lock out all non Sprint needed things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast