Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Phone prefers band 4

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    953
    Feedback Score
    0

    Phone prefers band 4

    My damn iPhone 7 prefers 1 bar of band 4 over 5 bars of band 13. I wish I could change this. I guess the band 4 signal has to be completely gone before it will switch to band 13.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    450
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's actually the tower that prefers band 4. Through the load balancing process the tower equipment asks your phone what signal it's getting on band 4, if it's acceptable, the tower equipment tells your phone to flip. If you can manage to get below about -116 RSRP on band 4 (and stay there for a little bit), it will probably flip to 13.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    405
    Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    My damn iPhone 7 prefers 1 bar of band 4 over 5 bars of band 13. I wish I could change this. I guess the band 4 signal has to be completely gone before it will switch to band 13.
    Same thing with AT&T here in my area, my S8+ would rather connect to 1 bar of Band 4 vs 4 bars of Band 12, it's just the way it is and nothing I can do will make it stay switched. It always goes back to Band 4.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    405
    Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    It's actually the tower that prefers band 4. Through the load balancing process the tower equipment asks your phone what signal it's getting on band 4, if it's acceptable, the tower equipment tells your phone to flip. If you can manage to get below about -116 RSRP on band 4 (and stay there for a little bit), it will probably flip to 13.
    My Band 4 signal is usually -115 but has been as low as -125 and still won't switch to band 12 lol.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    450
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    My Band 4 signal is usually -115 but has been as low as -125 and still won't switch to band 12 lol.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm not as familiar with AT&T's bands. But is band 12 actually deployed in your area?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    405
    Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I'm not as familiar with AT&T's bands. But is band 12 actually deployed in your area?
    Band 12/17 yeah. Phone calls it B12, must be MFBI.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    450
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    It definitely is MFBI. So you see it sometimes as you drive around, but you never see it on this tower? What neighbor cells do you see from the same PCI as your band 4 is coming from? If 12 is live, you should see a neighbor cell with the same PCI and a much higher RSRP (probably 10dB or so).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    405
    Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    It definitely is MFBI. So you see it sometimes as you drive around, but you never see it on this tower? What neighbor cells do you see from the same PCI as your band 4 is coming from? If 12 is live, you should see a neighbor cell with the same PCI and a much higher RSRP (probably 10dB or so).
    Band 4 is coming from the same tower, it also has B30 but doesn't reach where I am atm. Im not driving around im more talking about my work. The PCIs are 224:B4 and 223:B12 and yeah B12 is up around -94 dBm.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    450
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    Band 4 is coming from the same tower, it also has B30 but doesn't reach where I am atm. Im not driving around im more talking about my work. The PCIs are 224:B4 and 223:B12 and yeah B12 is up around -94 dBm.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    AT&T is being pretty stingy with the B12 then. Is that perhaps only a 5x5 slice, and they need to do whatever they can to keep you off of it?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    405
    Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    AT&T is being pretty stingy with the B12 then. Is that perhaps only a 5x5 slice, and they need to do whatever they can to keep you off of it?
    Yeah it is only 5x5 lol, but so is B4
    Perhaps there's a good reason, when I tested the speed of B12 last, it was like 2dn/2up and B4 was like 8dn/5up so, more speed on B4.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    450
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    Yeah it is only 5x5 lol, but so is B4

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Oh LOL. I don't miss my AT&T days.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    405
    Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    Oh LOL. I don't miss my AT&T days.
    Lol, I don't miss my USC and Verizon days, well, back when Verizon was only B13 across the state border and nothing in South central vermont. B30 and 3CA make up for the lack of bandwidth though, with speeds around 50dn/15up or so.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago/Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    3,753
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Phone prefers band 4

    99% of the time I'm happy to be on -116 or so of B4. And B4 is never such a drastic difference to B13 in strength as to be 1 bar (-116) on B4 vs 5 bars -82) on B13. If B4 is -116, B13 will usually be -99 to -108dbm.

    Also, on weak B4 you should be aggregating with B13 anyway.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    179
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus QCOM, SM-G950U1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0

    Phone prefers band 4

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    Lol, I don't miss my USC and Verizon days, well, back when Verizon was only B13 across the state border and nothing in South central vermont. B30 and 3CA make up for the lack of bandwidth though, with speeds around 50dn/15up or so.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I don’t miss Verizon either. Now have AT&T as my main line. Verizon has lots of B13 only sites - even in the city, while AT&T has B4, B12 and B30 (B5 on some too). Guess Verizon just doesn’t have the available funding for my area to finish the Band 4 rollout, started nearly 3.5 years ago.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    St. Louis Area
    Posts
    331
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yep, sometimes my phone locks onto band 4 from a tower 5 miles away instead of band 13 coming from the tower 1 block away.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 01:32 AM
  2. WTB: GSM phone (preferably unlocked and triband)
    By mareknone in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2002, 10:52 AM
  3. 8390 and other Nokia phones ... triple band
    By cool2030 in forum Nokia
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-02-2002, 02:26 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2002, 04:07 PM
  5. Rogers Phone Preferably 51xx or 61xx or 8260
    By JC in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2001, 01:25 PM

Bookmarks