Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coverage maps seem exaggerated?

Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score

Coverage maps seem exaggerated?

I could be wrong but the coverage maps seem way over exaggerated. Was in sw fl last night and service seemed really bad even though the maps make it look better than it is. Are TMobile maps usually over optimistic? I know quite a bit of factors are in play that can influence things but the maps weren't even close.

I'm finding out that fair signal usually means no signal. Also seems like they list 700 in quite a few spots that I don't pick it up at all with a b12 phone. I realize all the carriers exaggerate but they seem to really push it

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Moving back to Pocatello, ID in 2018
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, LG V30, Google Pixel 2 XL, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Nexus 5x
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You'll have to zoom in closer to see the actual coverage. FYI, anything marked as fair coverage, consider it no service.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    What was your first clue? Really, anyone could have told you that T-Mobile's maps are exaggerated. This is why most folks here suggest using 3rd-party maps, like Sensorly, RootMetrics or CellMapper. Looking at T-Mobile's maps zoomed out is particularly useless. To get any use out of them you have to zoom in and understand that "Fair" means the same as "Maybe". SW Florida has been a problem market for some time and it does not seem to have been fixed by the overlay of band-12.

Name:  NaplesFL.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  142.6 KB
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Overall very happy with the service but yeah those maps don't mean much at least in the places I've been so far

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    If you are happy that's what matters most. All the carriers fudge some on the maps. I've stopped looking at coverage maps from all the carriers. I'm more interested in band deployment and spectrum in certain areas than looking at painted maps

I'll get better knowledge about service from my own experiences, friends, and people online when compared to what a map can give you

Feedback Score
    I've also seen some very large areas such as along M37 in western Michigan with absolutely no T-Mobile coverage. But the map will show it with strong LTE.

I wonder if things would be far better if the public had access to the Grand Central map.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus QCOM, SM-G950U1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Every carrier exaggerates their map, but T-Mobile does a lot. Especially in locations without any deployed low band.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless - AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    The T-Mobile maps aren't that bad compare to Verizon Wireless and AT&T.
    At least the ones from T-Mobile show some color contours while Verizon Wireless and AT&T both paint entire areas in the same color, as if there are no coverage differences areas like "Good" , "Fair" etc..

Feedback Score
    I warned you that SW Florida was bad.

If you zoom into the maps you will see T-Mobile has horrible cell density there.

Whatever half-***** band 12 deployment they have implemented there has done nothing for indoor coverage.

If you plan on frequenting the area often I would stick to AT&T or Verizon.

Even Sprint works better down there.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    I could be wrong but the coverage maps seem way over exaggerated. Was in sw fl last night and service seemed really bad even though the maps make it look better than it is. Are TMobile maps usually over optimistic? I know quite a bit of factors are in play that can influence things but the maps weren't even close.

I'm finding out that fair signal usually means no signal. Also seems like they list 700 in quite a few spots that I don't pick it up at all with a b12 phone. I realize all the carriers exaggerate but they seem to really push it

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Looking at T-Mobile's maps zoomed out is particularly useless. To get any use out of them you have to zoom in and understand that "Fair" means the same as "Maybe".

Name:  NaplesFL.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  142.6 KB
    Exactly. Zoomed out, you can see an area and believe that it has great coverage. Then zoom in and see large swaths of zero coverage even by map standards, and areas of "fair" which usually mean none. Only near the towers (dark areas when zoomed in) and a bit beyond that will you have good coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Cloud sourced maps are "cloud sourced."

I was driving along the 40 FWY about 50 miles west of Needles (in the middle of absolutely nowhere) and drove off the beaten path on dirt roads in the desert.

My Galaxy S8 lost service completely. No amount of airplane mode toggling or restarting the device helped.

The iPhone 6s user in my car (also on T-Mobile) had 2 bars of LTE. Data streaming worked for him and he was able to place VoLTE calls without any problem.

Moral: Same carrier but different phones. I was really taken back as I "thought," Samsung had the edge on coverage when it came to being on the edge of the network. Some phones might be reporting usable service while others not so much. This could be the difference between having a device that works and one that doesn't in fair to marginal areas.

Totally impressed by the iPhone 6s' network performance.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    I have the 6s Plus and have thought the same thing. It has consistently better service than my wife’s 7Plus. And she has the Sprint version so both Qualcomm.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have gone through Sierra Highway in SoCal and areas marked as Fair are typically No Service. Interestingly they also label it as 4g LTE verified. Used multiple devices supporting band 12, and its Emergency Service Only. T-Mobile knows about it, but will not fix the maps or coverage. Engineers told me best method is to troll John and Neville on Twitter.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Every carrier coverage map is grossly optimistic. My sister is in a solid orange area on AT&T and she has to walk to the end of her driveway to barely get enough signal for voice calls only. However, T Mo has been expanding coverage dramatically in recent years, and I have been pleasantly surprised how good it is now in places I have been. But, I do not expect the same level of coverage I had on AT&T or would get on Verizon.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast