Thread: Phone Secretly Gets Roaming LTE from Sprint

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Phone Secretly Gets Roaming LTE from Sprint

Back probably in August maybe. Maybe before maybe later. I noticed back when I had my iPhone 6S, it started getting LTE even though it said U.S. Cellular in a place where it was before lucky to get 3G and sometimes 1x. So I called the field test number and noticed it was on band 26, which is usually used by Sprint which raised my suspicions. I also noticed my call quality improved slightly(no more dropped calls but still breakup) but I think this may've been a weird coincidence because my call quality is even better when the roaming indicator is on so I think my calls still went through USCC. Then after enjoying using LTE for a while, I was slowed to about 180 KBPS even though I'm on an old shared data plan that just charges you more for going over on data. So I assumed I was secretly roaming on Sprint for LTE even though it said U.S. Cellular and this was in Beckley, WV. Then a while later I was up in between Charleston, WV and Huntington, WV where I always have roamed on Verizon I think I now was getting Sprint LTE I think also and the coverage maps don't reflect that to this very day. My data speeds were still very slow taking me an hour to download a 90 something MB file and the 3G while I still think throttled, still was just as fast if not a tad faster than LTE so I turned off LTE for the download. Now I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 and I still seem to be roaming secretly. I am able to roam on Sprint whenever I want now for LTE which is cool but I am pretty sure I switched it back to USCC before I went there. However I can now add to the suspicion because I installed this application called Not Roam Control and the short name for the carrier was Sprint. Is anyone else experiencing this also or is it just me?

Feedback Score
    No secret. US Cellular roams on Sprint and TMobile for LTE. It will dual connect cdma and LTE for voice and data in areas with TMobile LTE but no US Cellular is Speint LTE. TMobile users can now roam to US Cellular in Iowa and chunks of Wisconsin. Sprint will roam to US Cellular also.

Feedback Score
    And if you are on TMobile, you roam to US Cellular full speed, treated on network (no cap or slowed speed). Not sure on Sprint. In short, you’d be better off on a Sprint or TMobile unlimited plan if you are in some locations. You’d get full speed and no slowed speed like US Cellular does.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Thank you all for telling me. Yeah I wouldn't mind having Sprint. But T Mobile does not have native coverage in my area and USCC doesn't even have the VOLTE necessary for the roaming in West Virginia. What it was doing was not saying a word about roaming on the surface and I had US Cellular for calls and Sprint for data. Now I figured out how to get rid of the secret roaming by doing the mobile network switch twice to USCC and now I only get 3G and 1X down there again with some Verizon 3G and Sprint 1X(possibly only using old Ntelos towers) roaming. And that Sprint 1X is seriously better than even USCC 3G down there a lot of times. Switching is easier said than done it seems like but I wouldn't mind that.