Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Price hikes coming to Sprint

Feedback Score

Price hikes coming to Sprint

Hard to speculate at what they might be but maybe the end of the free year?
    https://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-ser...ore-expensive/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    Hard to speculate at what they might be but maybe the end of the free year?
    https://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-ser...ore-expensive/
    That Free for a Year, just pay the taxes, is unsustainable. Even Sprint is worth paying something for, but not much.

If Sprint continues to be stagnant in coverage, lack VoLTE, and poor data speed, I don't see how they can charge anywhere near the other Big-3. They would lose more subscribers and lose even more money.

SoftBank has said they plan to provide funds for capex. If they build out the network and get VoLTE going they might survive a few more years and maybe even make a profit for a change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    That Free for a Year, just pay the taxes, is unsustainable. Even Sprint is worth paying something for, but not much.

If Sprint continues to be stagnant in coverage, lack VoLTE, and poor data speed, I don't see how they can charge anywhere near the other Big-3. They would lose more subscribers and lose even more money.

SoftBank has said they plan to provide funds for capex. If they build out the network and get VoLTE going they might survive a few more years and maybe even make a profit for a change.
    Why would people leave? Plans are grandfathered in. When TMobile raised rates it didn't cause people to leave, most current customers cared less as their pricing was never affected.

As far as a price increase it's likely coming across the board. Both TMobile and Sprint are likely going to have price increases pretty soon to help raise revenue. That was one of the main reasons both series a merger, to combine revenue. This race to the bottom is over as the companies now need to make more money to accomplish what they want. Sprint has some wiggle room to raise rates and still be the least expensive of the bunch, especially if the other companies follow suit and raise rates. It's interesting how people write their own narrative to things, solely based on the carrier they use, and don't use.

I do have to ask, why would a consumer really care how much profit Sprint makes for SoftBank anyways? Like, why is that even an issue? It took Amazon years to turn a profit, did people say, you know, I'd use Amazon but, they haven't turned a profit since they existed so I'm gonna pass? No, that would be stupid. Who walks into a store knowing how much profit that store makes? And why would that be a factor in anyone's choice to shop there or not? It wouldn't. Look at the brand of your TV, phone, whatever. Did you choose that brand based on how much profit that company made? Because there are only a few electronic manufacturers actually turning a decent profit these days. The only person who should really care if Sprint turns a profit or not is the guy who owns majority interest in it.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    I do have to ask, why would a consumer really care how much profit Sprint makes for SoftBank anyways? Like, why is that even an issue? It took Amazon years to turn a profit, did people say, you know, I'd use Amazon but, they haven't turned a profit since they existed so I'm gonna pass? No, that would be stupid. .
    Kind of like us worrying about Verizon's revenue or something?
    Last edited by @TheRealDanny; 11-09-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    No it would be dumb. Like us worrying about Verizon's revenue or something.
    Worrying about any companies revenue would be dumb, but ignoring it in a thread titled "will Verizon go out of business soon" would be downright stupid.

Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Worrying about any companies revenue would be dumb, but ignoring it in a thread titled "will Verizon go out of business soon" would be downright stupid.
    Who asked that? Edit: just saw the thread. I don't think any of the big 4 is close that right now, not even sprint.

As for raising prices it doesn't surprise me and should be somewhat more acceptable if sprint really ups the build and network

Feedback Score
    There was some speculation that Sprint would bundle taxes and fees, that would fit in with a $10 price hike. The did it with Boost a few months ago, so it only makes sense they'll do it on post-paid. Sprint has to do something to differentiate from the Big 2.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    Who asked that? Edit: just saw the thread. I don't think any of the big 4 is close that right now, not even sprint.

As for raising prices it doesn't surprise me and should be somewhat more acceptable if sprint really ups the build and network
    None of the 4 are going anywhere, you may have some merger action with the bottom 2 finding merger partners eventually but they aren't going anywhere. You'll likely see price hikes across the board from all 4, they may hide them behind things ("free" Netflix, a little more tethering, etc etc) but all 4 are going to want to raise revenue after the race to the bottom they've had the last few years.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    None of the 4 are going anywhere, you may have some merger action with the bottom 2 finding merger partners eventually but they aren't going anywhere. You'll likely see price hikes across the board from all 4, they may hide them behind things ("free" Netflix, a little more tethering, etc etc) but all 4 are going to want to raise revenue after the race to the bottom they've had the last few years.
    That seems unlikely.

The prepaid pressure would be hard to do that with. Many folks in my office are on prepaid and don't mind at all.

We should all hope for and continue to reward a race to the bottom. Cell service is a commodity and that's the only way to sell such a commodity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    That seems unlikely.

The prepaid pressure would be hard to do that with. Many folks in my office are on prepaid and don't mind at all.

We should all hope for and continue to reward a race to the bottom. Cell service is a commodity and that's the only way to sell such a commodity.
    Yet it already started happening, TMobile raised the price of their 2 line deals but hides the increase behind "free" Netflix included, Verizon drops hd streaming from their plans and adds extra hotspot, and now charges 10 dollars for hd streaming, when just a few months ago it was included in their plan, Sprint just announced planned price increases, you can say it seems unlikely, but it's already going on.

Feedback Score
    Possibly related to 1/2 bill promotion ending around that time in 2017. So all the people on that plan will see a price increase.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sprint has little choice but to raise their prices since they started giving away free service for a year to artificially increase customers base to help Sprint with any any merger with another company. Now that all merger deals are dead Sprint is deeper in the hole and must increase prices.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Pre Paid
    Feedback Score
    I agree Sprint is going to have to raise prices but if I was them I would do the price increase gradually.

Feedback Score
    Why would people leave? Plans are grandfathered in. When TMobile raised rates it didn't cause people to leave, most current customers cared less as their pricing was never affected.
    Ok, maybe people wouldn't leave, but less would be expected to start with or switch to Sprint if their prices are raised up in the neighborhood of T-Mo, AT&T, Verizon.

I do have to ask, why would a consumer really care how much profit Sprint makes for SoftBank anyways? Like, why is that even an issue? It took Amazon years to turn a profit, did people say, you know, I'd use Amazon but, they haven't turned a profit since they existed so I'm gonna pass? No, that would be stupid. Who walks into a store knowing how much profit that store makes? And why would that be a factor in anyone's choice to shop there or not? It wouldn't. Look at the brand of your TV, phone, whatever. Did you choose that brand based on how much profit that company made? Because there are only a few electronic manufacturers actually turning a decent profit these days. The only person who should really care if Sprint turns a profit or not is the guy who owns majority interest in it.
    I generally don't care how much profit a vendor makes that I am buying from. Unless, I expect to need service on or for the product after the purchase. Then I am concerned with vendor viability. Cell service and product purchases from Amazon are significantly different.

I would consider Sprint's viability for the future before buying a phone costing hundreds of dollars that might not work or or fully work on another carrier before buying the phone and committing to Sprint.

With a product purchase from Amazon or other retail merchant I don't care about the merchant viability. If I buy a brand name product the brand stands behind the product, not the merchant.

Aside from that, I am an armchair cell carrier analyst just for fun. So the state of all the carriers are of interest and worthy of discussion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Ok, maybe people wouldn't leave, but less would be expected to start with or switch to Sprint if their prices are raised up in the neighborhood of T-Mo, AT&T, Verizon.

I generally don't care how much profit a vendor makes that I am buying from. Unless, I expect to need service on or for the product after the purchase. Then I am concerned with vendor viability. Cell service and product purchases from Amazon are significantly different.

I would consider Sprint's viability for the future before buying a phone costing hundreds of dollars that might not work or or fully work on another carrier before buying the phone and committing to Sprint.

With a product purchase from Amazon or other retail merchant I don't care about the merchant viability. If I buy a brand name product the brand stands behind the product, not the merchant.

Aside from that, I am an armchair cell carrier analyst just for fun. So the state of all the carriers are of interest and worthy of discussion.
    Fair enough answer. I guess it really would all depend on how high they raised prices. They have a little wiggle room to work with and still be the cheapest of the 4.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast