T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile fires up LTE-A in 920 markets, Gigabit LTE in 430 markets

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wirele...te-430-markets

Name:  tmobilearena800_0.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  63.4 KB

SAN JOSE, California—T-Mobile used a media and analyst event here with Qualcomm to announce that LTE Advanced is now in more than 920 markets, with a combination of carrier aggregation, 4X4 MIMO and 256 QAM now live in 430 of those markets.

T-Mobile also said it will launch LAA on small cells this year to further densify its network. The “Un-carrier” previously said it was rolling out LTE-U, the precursor to LAA but hasn’t revealed how much LAA has been deployed or where, only to say it’s “on the horizon.”

“This is what I’m talking about when I say T-Mobile has America’s best unlimited network and the only one purpose built for unlimited,” said T-Mobile CTO Neville Ray in a press release. “Not only do we have a nationwide LTE footprint that’s every bit as broad as the Duopoly’s, and the fastest according to multiple third parties—it also keeps getting faster. Gigabit Class LTE technology is part of the secret sauce behind our success—and why others are struggling under the weight of unlimited—and we’re only continuing to advance with LAA on the horizon.”

Operators can double their previous download speeds with LTE Advanced, and using a combination of carrier aggregation, 4X4 MIMO and 256 QAM, speeds can up to double again. T-Mobile says it’s using this “trifecta” so T-Mobile customers with compatible devices could get Gigabit Class LTE download speeds in those 430 markets.

“Global momentum for Gigabit Class LTE is continuing to pick up around the world, and we’re delighted that T-Mobile is planning to deliver gigabit connectivity to millions of consumers in the United States,” said Mike Finley, senior vice president and president, Qualcomm North America and Australia, Qualcomm Technologies, in the release. “In addition to providing blazing fast mobile connectivity, Gigabit Class LTE enables operators to expand network capacity to accommodate increasing demands by unlimited data plans, and increases overall spectral efficiency, enabling faster speeds for all users in the network.”
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Anyone knows how T-Mobile compares to Verizon/AT&T/Sprint in terms of LTE-A deployments?

EDIT: Nevermind. I guess they have eclipsed their US competition.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...d-coverage.htm

San Jose, California — Nov. 9, 2017 — At an event for media and analysts in the San Jose Convention Center today, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM), and T-Mobile (NASDAQ: TMUS) demonstrated the speed and power of Gigabit Class LTE on T-Mobile’s network with flagship smartphones powered by Snapdragon Gigabit LTE modems. The Un-carrier announced that LTE Advanced, the next generation of LTE, has expanded to more than 920 markets, eclipsing every other national wireless company, with a powerful combination of three speed-boosting technologies – carrier aggregation, 4X4 MIMO and 256 QAM – now live in 430 of those markets. T-Mobile also unveiled plans to launch License Assisted Access (LAA), another advanced LTE technology which taps into unlicensed spectrum, on small cells this year to further densify the network for even more capacity and speed.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't use the word eclipsed but they seem to be the most vocal about these advances despite the other carriers implementing them as well, just behind the scenes. For example Verizon is working on true 4x4 MIMO across all bands as opposed to T-Mobile have one 4x4 band and the rest 2x2. I guess the biggest thing is the combination of the technologies which I didn't think was possible with 256 QAM and 4x4 MIMO but that may have just been a hardware limitation for the older phones.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the whole Gigabit LTE thing because it makes a consumer think that they may actually be able to achieve something that would require a stupidly specific amount of variables to fall into place including being the only customer on a sector and the like. Nice for marketing but that's pretty much it in my eyes.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Eclipsing is a bit of an over statement. Verizon has higher order modulation live across my market, and many many 4x4 capable sites. AT&T has higher order modulation live in several markets as well, and 4x4 capable gear. TMO hasn't done anything that nobody else has yet.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't know exactly how AT&T promotes their network improvements, but I've observed that Verizon tends to announce new things once...right when they deploy the first one. After that, it spreads to other markets, but they don't tend to talk much about when. You sort of have to pay attention here to see people noticing it. For instance MU-MIMO in Irving, CA recently. I won't be surprised if they don't mention it again. T-Mobile just markets their network differently.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I don't know exactly how AT&T promotes their network improvements, but I've observed that Verizon tends to announce new things once...right when they deploy the first one. After that, it spreads to other markets, but they don't tend to talk much about when. You sort of have to pay attention here to see people noticing it. For instance MU-MIMO in Irving, CA recently. I won't be surprised if they don't mention it again. T-Mobile just markets their network differently.
    AT&T doesn't announce any network improvements these days. And you got it backwards with Verizon, they don't announce anything til it's largely done across the country and we've been talking about it on here for over a year. Sprint is the one that announces things right when they start...leaving people wondering where the hell the upgrades are.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    AT&T doesn't announce any network improvements these days. And you got it backwards with Verizon, they don't announce anything til it's largely done across the country and we've been talking about it on here for over a year. Sprint is the one that announces things right when they start...leaving people wondering where the hell the upgrades are.
    Haha, well you might be right about that. I guess the main takeaway here is that Verizon tends to announce a small number of times (once?), and the parade ends. T-Mobile just keeps getting the word out there. Nothing wrong with that. Just a different strategy.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I don't know exactly how AT&T promotes their network improvements, but I've observed that Verizon tends to announce new things once...right when they deploy the first one.
    I completely disagree and that's something I'd ding T-Mobile for since they, for better or worse, tend to market new things even when very, very few customers can even access it (LTE-U in only 5 test markets comes to mind even though they couldn't wait to boast an industry first). Verizon on the other hand seems to take their time and wait until things are nearly nationwide before promoting it like LTE-X and LTE-A. I hate that marketing naming for basic things but at least they wait for the majority rollout before hitting the PR button.

With respect to the MU-MIMO thing that was clearly just a test market thing and I don't think Verizon said anything to try to hide that fact. It was pretty obvious that was just a tech press release to say "we're working on it" and that's it. T-Mobile throws up two 600Mhz sites in no name markets and starts really publically patting themselves on the back.

Don't get me wrong, I like how T-Mobile is trying to show their customers how they're progressing but as someone who works in the industry I just have to laugh because Verizon and AT&T are pouring immense amounts of money to do very similar improvements without nearly the PR presence that T-Mobile is doing. I will say that T-Mobile customers should be happy they're as savvy as they are with these technologies because they're handling the underdog role in all the right ways and are definitely putting money into their network to give a quality product.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    I completely disagree and that's something I'd ding T-Mobile for since they, for better or worse, tend to market new things even when very, very few customers can even access it (LTE-U in only 5 test markets comes to mind even though they couldn't wait to boast an industry first). Verizon on the other hand seems to take their time and wait until things are nearly nationwide before promoting it like LTE-X and LTE-A. I hate that marketing naming for basic things but at least they wait for the majority rollout before hitting the PR button.
    Alright, you guys have convinced me. I got that backwards.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Eclipsing is a bit of an over statement. Verizon has higher order modulation live across my market, and many many 4x4 capable sites. AT&T has higher order modulation live in several markets as well, and 4x4 capable gear. TMO hasn't done anything that nobody else has yet.
    Thus my question: How do they stack up?

T-Mobile's marketing machine makes it seem they are way ahead of the competition in this regard. Are they?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The only real thing that T-Mobile has done... beating its chest.
    In general, I've had +150Mbps on my work AT&T iPhone 6s for more than a year now. The bigger difference:
    AT&T's sites are fewer / farther between in urban/suburban markets, but more in rural compared to T-Mobile. T-Mobile also has fewer customers, which typically allows it the luxury of better actual speeds.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I can't answer for Gus but being in the trenches my answer is: no. They're doing the right thing in appearing to be ahead of the competition by throwing around the technological buzzwords and terms of the things they're doing but the other carriers are just as on top of those technologies as they are. It helps them because it makes them look like the more savvy carrier but since these technologies are based on companies who deal with all carriers there's no way T-Mobile is somehow the only one with a leg up, especially when everyone uses pretty much the same equipment. It just comes down to who installs what when and how comfortable they feel about boasting about something in terms of how far along they are with their deployments. T-Mobile does tend to have the quick trigger finger but they're not alone when it comes to some things.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    T-Mobile also has fewer customers, which typically allows it the luxury of better actual speeds.
    Well that's the thing that is making them use the "only network that can handle true unlimited data" line. No kidding, you have less people competing on any given tower so of course the speeds will be better. If they had to deal with the traffic of either Verizon or AT&T on their current network setup I would bet my life savings they'd be heavily bogged down even with the new technologies they're combining.

Feedback Score
    Well that's the thing that is making them use the "only network that can handle true unlimited data" line. No kidding, you have less people competing on any given tower so of course the speeds will be better. If they had to deal with the traffic of either Verizon or AT&T on their current network setup I would bet my life savings they'd be heavily bogged down even with the new technologies they're combining.
    By that logic, Sprint should be the fastest network in the history of mankind. Lol

I don’t doubt that part of why T-Mobile is faster is because they have fewer customers. But geez, Verizon has had how many more years with better and more spectrum and they’re still not light years ahead?!? I like how aggressive T-Mobile is, both in marketing, and in actual network improvements.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't use the word eclipsed but they seem to be the most vocal about these advances despite the other carriers implementing them as well, just behind the scenes. For example Verizon is working on true 4x4 MIMO across all bands as opposed to T-Mobile have one 4x4 band and the rest 2x2. I guess the biggest thing is the combination of the technologies which I didn't think was possible with 256 QAM and 4x4 MIMO but that may have just been a hardware limitation for the older phones.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the whole Gigabit LTE thing because it makes a consumer think that they may actually be able to achieve something that would require a stupidly specific amount of variables to fall into place including being the only customer on a sector and the like. Nice for marketing but that's pretty much it in my eyes.
    Just like who would ever need internet speeds beyond a 14.4k modem's limit?

Give me a break - faster speeds are always better. Most won't see it, but as time goes on we will. Remember GPRS on phones? Most phones now have faster internet than the wired home internet of the same person.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast