Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile fires up LTE-A in 920 markets, Gigabit LTE in 430 markets

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    T-Mobile also has fewer customers, which typically allows it the luxury of better actual speeds.
    ATT can afford more sites (scale), so its no excuse to say they're bigger therefore the speeds can be slower. T-Mobile is keeping pace with the size of their customer base. If ATT can't keep up speeds (e.g throttling Cricket, throttling unlimited), they're not spending at the same rate as T-Mobile. By all estimates, TMO spends more per customer than VZW and ATT. That does show in network perfomance tests.

Feedback Score
    Every other carrier has the same tech, TMobile was just the first to implement it, everyone else is playing catch up in lte advancements, and notice Qualcomm was also there for this demo, meaning this must have been a networking milestone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I don't know exactly how AT&T promotes their network improvements, but I've observed that Verizon tends to announce new things once...right when they deploy the first one. After that, it spreads to other markets, but they don't tend to talk much about when. You sort of have to pay attention here to see people noticing it. For instance MU-MIMO in Irving, CA recently. I won't be surprised if they don't mention it again. T-Mobile just markets their network differently.
    That may be true now, but remember when Verizon had an entire marketing campaign about LTE-A, as if they were the only ones that had it, when T-Mobile (and other carriers) had already rolled it out? Then there was that AT&T series of commercials, in the last year, about how they have the "strongest" mobile network (whatever that means).

I will agree, both AT&T and Verizon are to a point that they don't mention specific network advancements, other than maybe a press release, but spend a lot of time pushing how they have the "greatest" network. While Verizon has a point, that they have the best coverage, it is also true they have had a lot of speed issues since rolling out Unlimited, and AT&T is actively having to throttle prepaid unlimited users to 3 Mbps to keep the network working acceptably for postpaid users.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    I wouldn't use the word eclipsed but they seem to be the most vocal about these advances despite the other carriers implementing them as well, just behind the scenes. For example Verizon is working on true 4x4 MIMO across all bands as opposed to T-Mobile have one 4x4 band and the rest 2x2. I guess the biggest thing is the combination of the technologies which I didn't think was possible with 256 QAM and 4x4 MIMO but that may have just been a hardware limitation for the older phones.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the whole Gigabit LTE thing because it makes a consumer think that they may actually be able to achieve something that would require a stupidly specific amount of variables to fall into place including being the only customer on a sector and the like. Nice for marketing but that's pretty much it in my eyes.
    Even the new $1200 iPhone X doesn't even support 4x4 MIMO which would improve both speed and signal strength.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/28...ndwidth-tests/

BTW, what is wrong with announcing new innovation in phone technology? T-Mobile has deployed 600 Mhz in two areas and will have several more 600 Mhz sites deployed by EOY. Why shouldn't they tell people about 600 Mhz that is coming since it could change the customers choice in phones that would be an expensive mistake. Don't blame T-Mobile marketing when Verizon and AT&T are always pretending they have 5G technology today for customers.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 11-10-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    I completely disagree and that's something I'd ding T-Mobile for since they, for better or worse, tend to market new things even when very, very few customers can even access it (LTE-U in only 5 test markets comes to mind even though they couldn't wait to boast an industry first). Verizon on the other hand seems to take their time and wait until things are nearly nationwide before promoting it like LTE-X and LTE-A. I hate that marketing naming for basic things but at least they wait for the majority rollout before hitting the PR button.

With respect to the MU-MIMO thing that was clearly just a test market thing and I don't think Verizon said anything to try to hide that fact. It was pretty obvious that was just a tech press release to say "we're working on it" and that's it. T-Mobile throws up two 600Mhz sites in no name markets and starts really publically patting themselves on the back.

Don't get me wrong, I like how T-Mobile is trying to show their customers how they're progressing but as someone who works in the industry I just have to laugh because Verizon and AT&T are pouring immense amounts of money to do very similar improvements without nearly the PR presence that T-Mobile is doing. I will say that T-Mobile customers should be happy they're as savvy as they are with these technologies because they're handling the underdog role in all the right ways and are definitely putting money into their network to give a quality product.
    LOL you ding T-Mobile for that but and then praise Verizon when they are always doing that same thing and counting it in 11 markets when they haven't even started testing it in the FIRST 5 markets. Verizon is the biggest showboat network in the USA for marketing stuff they don't have deployed and are pretending they got Customers trial of 5G when a Verizon customer can't even buy a 5G capable phone.

Verizon Announces 5G Customer Trials in 11 Cities with 5G Forum Partners

"Verizon today revealed customer trials of 5G technology in five U.S. cities are set to begin in the second quarter, with pilots in 11 markets expected by the middle of the year."

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    The only real thing that T-Mobile has done... beating its chest.
    In general, I've had +150Mbps on my work AT&T iPhone 6s for more than a year now. The bigger difference:
    AT&T's sites are fewer / farther between in urban/suburban markets, but more in rural compared to T-Mobile. T-Mobile also has fewer customers, which typically allows it the luxury of better actual speeds.
    Funny that you think having a smaller number of customers gives T-Mobile an advantage in speed and not how they designed their network. Sure don't see Sprint, UC Cellular or Cspire with less customers than T-Mobile beating them on speed.

AT&T and Verizon both have more spectrum than T-Mobile and both AT&T & Verizon for years have owned the most Sub-1-Ghz spectrum. AT&T and Verizon build their network designed off of Sub-1-Ghz spectrum that had greater distances. T-Mobile 600 Mhz will change that. T-Mobile designed their network off of Mid-Band spectrum with more cell towers that gives T-Mobile a design advantage in some places over AT&T and Verizon in speed. Yea, due to a lack of Sub-1-Ghz spectrum T-Mobile has more issues with rural coverage. However I don't give a flip about those rural places since I almost never have issues in rural areas of Florida with T-Mobile and I love having a faster network than AT&T and Verizon in most metro areas I am in.

When T-Mobile gets their 600 Mhz deployed and have the nation's 1st Nationwide 5G Network I look forward to going on AT&T and Verizon board for payback to all their customers that have for years attacked T-Mobile for daring to try to improve their network.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    ATT can afford more sites (scale), so its no excuse to say they're bigger therefore the speeds can be slower. T-Mobile is keeping pace with the size of their customer base. If ATT can't keep up speeds (e.g throttling Cricket, throttling unlimited), they're not spending at the same rate as T-Mobile. By all estimates, TMO spends more per customer than VZW and ATT. That does show in network perfomance tests.
    That's my point.

With the money and CAPEX the duopoly claim to spend to investors on their networks there should be NO reason they would be any slower but they are slower and thus the reason for "unlimited plans," capped at 3 Mbps in at least one case. That means they are not scaling up as appropriate or some of that CAPEX is being wasted on pork.

The difference they spend in CAPEX compared to #3 and #4 is insanely disparate.

T-Mobile does have a smaller customer base but they scale accordingly. If they get more they'll have to spend more.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    In my city, AT&T has 9 cell sites, T-Mobile has more than 15.
    AT&T -> 10x10 band 17, 5x5 band 4, 10x10 band 5, and ??? band 2 (not deployed )
    T-Mobile -> 5x5 band 12, 20x20 band 4, 10x10 band 2 (note, still another 5x5 band 2 to be deployed, 15x15 band 71)

T-Mobile had deployed many more sites a LONG time ago due to use of PCS band, while AT&T was primarily cellular band. In general, T-Mobile's sites are smaller, but more of them - which is great for urban/suburban areas. AT&T's sites typically have massive panels.
    Frequency reuse in urban markets make it better for being able to have high speed.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Thus my question: How do they stack up?

T-Mobile's marketing machine makes it seem they are way ahead of the competition in this regard. Are they?
    Up in the city AT&T's crumbling network is still beating TMO's latest upgrades. In the suburbs TMO can be far more dense than AT&T, but has very inconsistent performance. One spot can be 150+ then go half a block over and hit 20 Mbps. Either way it works ok and is beating AT&T. Verizon has been putting both to shame in every aspect though. At least in the markets VZ cares about, they do a very good job distancing themselves from everyone else.

I've seen similar results in other markets like Indianapolis and NYC.

Device(s)
    Gold iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and Space Gray iPhone X 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Even the new $1200 iPhone X doesn't even support 4x4 MIMO which would improve both speed and signal strength.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/28...ndwidth-tests/

BTW, what is wrong with announcing new innovation in phone technology? T-Mobile has deployed 600 Mhz in two areas and will have several more 600 Mhz sites deployed by EOY. Why shouldn't they tell people about 600 Mhz that is coming since it could change the customers choice in phones that would be an expensive mistake. Don't blame T-Mobile marketing when Verizon and AT&T are always pretending they have 5G technology today for customers.
    In the US the iPhone X is $999 for 64GB and $1149 for 256gb. Neither is $1200 in the US unless you’re adding in sales tax on the 256GB iPhone X
    Manners cost nothing, and also have the added benefit of making a man. You know, it is entirely possible to rise above others, without stooping to pushing them under, and putting them down. As much as you tie yourself into knots attempting to reason to the contrary, NO ONE is less deserving of kindness and respect than anyone else.
    My Sister is a supervisor at T-Mobile's Salem Oregon Call center. Loyal T-Mobile customer of 13 Years.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Another version of that article at the Top of the first page.

Qualcomm and T-Mobile spread Gigabit LTE to 430 markets, LTE-A in 920+ markets

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Talking of which, does T-Mo have a 2018 planned map out yet? They say they're toe-to-toe with the duopoly but I'd say they're not quite there yet....there are a few holes in the Midwest, Pacific Coast, Mid-South and central and southern Appalachia to fill before they're there. If 2018 for T-Mobile is a rerun of 2017, then they'll be there. If they get lazy, not so much. I would love to drop Verizon but there are one or two gaps in T-Mobile's network that make it still a bit risky for me, even as they've added other coverages that improve on Verizon for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    By that logic, Sprint should be the fastest network in the history of mankind. Lol

I don’t doubt that part of why T-Mobile is faster is because they have fewer customers. But geez, Verizon has had how many more years with better and more spectrum and they’re still not light years ahead?!? I like how aggressive T-Mobile is, both in marketing, and in actual network improvements.
    Actually, by this logic, little ol Bug Tussel in Wisconsin, with a few thousand customers, would have terabyte per second download speeds

Or the whining that when T-Mobile filled out the 30% of the country that still lacks coverage now, it would clobber network speeds in California metro areas.

Feedback Score
    TMobile has more spectrum per customer than the big 2, this is the advantage. The logic makes more sense when you use ratios.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile has had 4x4 MIMO, 256 QAM, and CA on many of the sites around me. However, I've only been able to achieve 1 300+ Mbps Speedtest result on my Galaxy S8 and many in the 200-280 range on only a few of them. They have the technology deployed but not the provisioned backhaul to support the faster speeds.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast