Thread: Help choosing plan and provider PLEASE

Device(s)
    iPhone 3gs
    Feedback Score

Help choosing plan and provider PLEASE

Sorry for the general type question but I swear, I searched for an answer here -).

I presently have a prepaid plan with T-Mobile through Harbor Mobile for my phone and iPad (for data). I received notice today that Harbor is going out of business and I need to move on. I'm completely out of touch with this stuff having been with Harbor a number of years. I need someone to point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a similar plan though I'm flexible. I forgot how much data I have and the Harbor website will no longer give me that info. However, it's shared between my 2 devices and a somewhat minimal amount - I have access to wi-fi most of the time. I pay $50.

I don't care which carrier I go with - T-Mobile, Verizon or AT&T. I don't want Sprint. I'm also willing to spend a little more. I prefer dealing with resellers (if that's what such companies are called), but I'm wide open for suggestions. I'd sacrifice a few dollars for good customer service.

Thanks!
    glenn
    jersey city, nj

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Same boat, here. I have 2 x 5GB lines for $18 each. Been thinking about looking into Mint Sim for awhile so guess I'll start there. Unfortunately, no Binge On, though.

https://www.mintsim.com/plans/

Harbor Mobile notice posted here.
    Last edited by AnciusD; 11-10-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    How about https://www.teltik.com/ ? I think they are somehow connected to Harbor Mobile and are also a T-Mo Business Plan reseller like Harbor Mobile was.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    I think the email going round says teltik will honor the harbor rates and you can transfer easily to them. Just wait for the email

Feedback Score
    Pretty sure Teltik is from the some of the same people that worked at Harbor Mobile
    edit: forum topic about teltik http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-reincarnated?

Feedback Score
    I got the email from Harbor today too - came as a complete surprise. The thing about teltik is that they are for businesses only and require proof, unlike Harbor. So I did some googling today. One thing I came across that looked good and was even cheaper is mintsim.com. I asked them a couple of questions about using my own new sims and upgrading plans once signing up if I needed more data. I hope they will reply tomorrow. I am probably going to give them a try. They are a t-mobile reseller so it will be the same service as I had with Harbor.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yaconsult View Post
    I got the email from Harbor today too - came as a complete surprise. The thing about teltik is that they are for businesses only and require proof, unlike Harbor. So I did some googling today. One thing I came across that looked good and was even cheaper is mintsim.com. I asked them a couple of questions about using my own new sims and upgrading plans once signing up if I needed more data. I hope they will reply tomorrow. I am probably going to give them a try. They are a t-mobile reseller so it will be the same service as I had with Harbor.
    No, MintSIM will NOT be the same service as you had with Harbor Mobile. Harbor was a T-Mo Business Line Reseller, so it offered the full T-Mo postpaid network coverage and full T-Mo postpaid plan features/benefits. MintSIM is a T-Mo MVNO and only uses the T-Mo native network, and doesn't include T-Mo postpaid plan features/benefits.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, that's my problem. I signed up with HM when they were less stringent. Otherwise, I would gladly rollover to Teltik.

Best Buy also sells MintSim sim kits w/plans so no additional charge for the sims as far as I can tell. Same rates, too. MintSim had a discount code last month but it seems to have expired.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...t%3DBrand~Mint

Anyone know what the relative speeds are compared to HM? As long as I can hotspot I'll be satisfied, I only need the data. Will miss Binge On, though.

I posted the full Harbor Mobile notice in this post.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Uh oh. Someone posted this last night on a SlickDeals MintSim thread:

I just got an email about a survey on mintsim and how I'd feel if mintsim dropped its service completely.

*edit
    I just got a survey yesterday for MintSIM. Although that question was asked, my impression was it was meant to tell the surveyors about how much the service means to the user, rather than MintSIM is going away. Ultra is not going to give up on this service anytime soon.

The majority of the survey was like "How much do you like the service?" or "How does it compare to other prepaid providers". Standard fare, but a little lengthy.
    Last edited by AnciusD; 11-10-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Feedback Score
    mint sim is a "sister brand" (whatever that means) of ultra mobile. maybe it is just rebranded but the same as ultra?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    mint sim is a "sister brand" (whatever that means) of ultra mobile. maybe it is just rebranded but the same as ultra?
    No, MintSIM is NOT the same service as Ultra Mobile. MintSIM doesn't include the same international calling features as Ultra Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    No, MintSIM will NOT be the same service as you had with Harbor Mobile. Harbor was a T-Mo Business Line Reseller, so it offered the full T-Mo postpaid network coverage and full T-Mo postpaid plan features/benefits. MintSIM is a T-Mo MVNO and only uses the T-Mo native network, and doesn't include T-Mo postpaid plan features/benefits.
    Could you briefly list what those differing features/benefits are? I suspect that I wasn't using any of them anyway. Or are the main differences going to be network priority and things like that?

One of the things that annoyed me about Habor Mobile is that we could not ask questions of or get support from tmobile. As far as they were concerned, the number on my phone belonged to Harbor Mobile and they would not provide any support or answer any questions about it.

I use few voice minutes a month. The main concern for me is data when I am away from home for web, email, navigation, google, etc. Harbor is going to look up my past usage and email that information to me soon. So right now, I am considering Mint and Metro with Mint being about half the price. My major concern is that after taking the 3 months to be able to get the 7 day test period, I would then pay for a year - what happens if their service deteriotes or is withdrawn? Although I have not read the terms carefully yet, I wonder what happens if the service goes away or slows down too much? They seem to be saying that once you pre-pay - that's it, no refunds.

Metro, on the other hand, has been around a long time and is unlikely to go away any time soon. However, it does cost twice as much as mint for the same level of service, but you don't have to pay for more than one month at a time.

We have about a month to make this decision before our service with Harbor ends. Thank you for the experienced advice! This forum has always been the best place to find inexpensive services and this is where I found out about Harbor a couple of years ago.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Could you briefly list what those differing features/benefits are? I suspect that I wasn't using any of them anyway. Or are the main differences going to be network priority and things like that?

One of the things that annoyed me about Habor Mobile is that we could not ask questions of or get support from tmobile. As far as they were concerned, the number on my phone belonged to Harbor Mobile and they would not provide any support or answer any questions about it.
    I never had problems with support. The few times I needed it (two?), when I called and it couldn't be solved directly, Loren called TMobile support and waited on the line until they called me on another line. I talked directly to the TMobile support person.

As to data usage. Originally, I could view my usage on my 3G hotspot through the admin function on my portable hotspot device. When TMobile dropped 3G in my area, I switched to using two smartphones as my hotspots and started using the TMobile short codes, e.g. #932#. I've been monitoring my usage daily.