Thread: leaving the GDUP plan

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question leaving the GDUP plan

I have had the GDUP plan for the last 8 years. I am "Month to month" now. Should I keep it or just get the new unlimited plan? I'm currently paying $99 with taxes and fees.
    iPhone X - Verizon gdup unl.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What is your usage like? If you're not going much over 22GB, then there's no difference except that you could save ~$10 with the newer Beyond Unlimited plan. Even if you do go over 22GB, it's not like the phone won't work, it's just subject to deprioritization, unlike your current plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Last month was 24GB... In past months over 30gb depends its all over the place.

Oh so on my current GDUP I wont be subject to deprioritization if I go over 22GB, but on the new unlimited plan I could be. Got it.

What about vide viewing, does Verizon limit my video to 720p on my current plan?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm in a similar boat, though my monthly is more. I'm on the old GDUP, paying $50/mo for data, plus something for 450 minutes, plus texting, etc. I have tethering at least, but rarely use more than 12GB/mo, and have been trying to figure out if there's any unseen downside to moving over to the new unlimited nonsense.

Is there a consensus around these parts?

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolaholic View Post
    Last month was 24GB... In past months over 30 depends its all over the place.

But even on the grandfathered GDUP after 22GB Verizon throttles you, correct?
    There is never a throttle (on phone) for any Verizon unlimited plan. There is deprioritization on newer unlimited plans, but not the pre-February 2017 unlimited plans.

I think you're probably safe to change it.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolaholic View Post
    Last month was 24GB... In past months over 30gb depends its all over the place.

Oh so on my current GDUP I wont be subject to deprioritization if I go over 22GB, but on the new unlimited plan I could be. Got it.

What about vide viewing, does Verizon limit my video to 720p on my current plan?
    All plans are subject to video optimization.

Sent from my Galaxy S8+ using the HoFo app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Is there ever any point in staying on the classic GDUP these days? or have people mostly abandonded them?

Wistfully remembers the days of churning unlimited plans and selling them on ebay....

Feedback Score
    It really depends on the endusers situation SkiSteven....

Kinda depends where the math settles you know. for me, the GDUP makes sense as for how it's used with the other lines on it at 9 access fee, etc....

Kinda like our biz account. The current unlimited lines don't make sense when I've got 30GB of data when we're only really paying for a XL plan...XL has 12GB but we have some stack promos that make it 30GB a month. Kinda crazy how we're getting 250% more data than what we are paying for...
    Last edited by chefwong; 11-10-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    sorry, good point chefwong.

The way I look at it, I never even use 20GB a month -- I'm usually around 12GB (one line only). So I'm trying to figure out if for me, it makes any sense to stay on the old grandfathered plan, or if I might as well switch over to the new one and save myself $40/mo or whatever. For under 22GB, it seems like there's almost no reason to stay on the old one.

I'm just trying to figure out if there are any gotchas I'm missing :-)

Anyone know if folks are still selling those GDUP plans on ebay?

Feedback Score
    I guess it depends on what your voice/text plan is....and whether the extra cost between the 2 is...

Mobile Hotspot
    International Travel Pass
    Tablet/Smart Watch in the Future
    Those would be the 3 points I would consider if you're older plan does not offer those as part of it's features.....

Feedback Score
    I was in a similar situation and changed to xfinity mobile when they had the $1 phone deal. $48 with tax for unlimited (soft 22GB cap then 1.5Mbps) and unlimited calls/texts. Works well for me

Sent from my LG-M322 using HoFo mobile app