Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new $25 phone upgrade fee and no BYOD

Feedback Score

new $25 phone upgrade fee and no BYOD

From their website:

Device Upgrade Requirements

To upgrade to a new phone, you must have an existing line of service with Cricket and a monthly rate plan that costs $30/mo or more. The upgrade phone must be new and purchased from a Cricket store or online at www.cricketwireless.com. You can upgrade your phone only once every 90 days. A $25 device upgrade fee applies to phone upgrades in Cricket stores and online. To begin, simply log in to My Account and select Upgrade Device, or visit your local Cricket store.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    We've discussed the $25 upgrade fee on equipment on here a few weeks back, but what do you mean no BYOD?
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcm00re View Post
    From their website:
    This isn't saying no BYOD. It is saying to "upgrade" you have to be a customer (which if you think about it makes sense). You can still bring your own device. I mean they even have a page on their website https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell...ing-your-phone

Feedback Score
    So I guess you can BYOD (D=device aka phone) if you are a new customer. But you cannot BYOD if you are already a customer based on, "The upgrade phone must be new and purchased from a Cricket store or online at www.cricketwireless.com." or maybe I'm being too literal. I didn't see any threads about the new $25 upgrade fees -- and honestly I was surprised by that.

Feedback Score
    So if you are a current customer and you need a new phone you must buy a new phone and pay $25.

To me that is punishing existing customers and encouraging them to go elsewhere when it is time for a new phone. You would think they would encourage customers to stay with their service when they need a new phone.

If you buy a new phone and signup with another service you can save the $25.

I am on boost and upgraded my phone for free. However, if the phone is used it sounds like there is a fee but not sure.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    So if you are a current customer and you need a new phone you must buy a new phone and pay $25.

To me that is punishing existing customers and encouraging them to go elsewhere when it is time for a new phone. You would think they would encourage customers to stay with their service when they need a new phone.

If you buy a new phone and signup with another service you can save the $25.

I am on boost and upgraded my phone for free. However, if the phone is used it sounds like there is a fee but not sure.
    Yep. I will no longer buy phones from cricket website due to $25 fee. I will buy device from retailer like walmart or best buy. You can buy a cricket device or any ATT device from big box store to avoid $25 fee.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score

Any existing customer can bring their own device at anytime and just switch sim. I just switched to the iPhone 8+.

Feedback Score
    The idea you can't BYOD is false. You need to edit it out of the title.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone found a loophole for this upgrade fee? I guess if you were using google voice you could just open new lines and cancel old ones, but with grandfathered group discounts you'd be better off just taking the $25 hit or purchase elsewhere. I personally think the fee is absurd considering many of their devices are under $100. However, if they have a good cyber monday deal I may have to take the hit.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

Well he just didn’t realize or misunderstood what that policy says.

Essentially it’s for purchasing new phones from cricket... not BYOD.

You can “bring” your own device anytime by just simply swapping SIM card. Or buy a new SIM card and activate it on your own personal device for new accounts. I just did this recently with a relative.

Now for buying those cheap/sweet deals from cricket, it requires an “upgrade” charge of $25. That’s all that is. AT&T got greedy and implemented this to cricket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
    Has anyone found a loophole for this upgrade fee? I guess if you were using google voice you could just open new lines and cancel old ones, but with grandfathered group discounts you'd be better off just taking the $25 hit or purchase elsewhere. I personally think the fee is absurd considering many of their devices are under $100. However, if they have a good cyber monday deal I may have to take the hit.
    Not really absurd, these cricket phones are already highly subsidized, and it seems most cricket customers just want to use cricket's website to buy and resell phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The idea you can't BYOD is false. You need to edit it out of the title.
    It doesn't give the option to edit the title -- only the body of the original post. Their wording is quite confusing...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Not really absurd, these cricket phones are already highly subsidized, and it seems most cricket customers just want to use cricket's website to buy and resell phones.
    Then why not waive the $25 fee once every 12 months or 24 months so as not to punish those who aren't reselling phones. This fee the way it's implemented is absurd! Hopefully Cricket comes to their senses when it comes time for me to upgrade.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Totally agree. I got to the party late but still had some nice lovin' with a number of 99 cent phones that I resold for $50-60 each

Quote Originally Posted by bcm00re View Post
    Then why not waive the $25 fee once every 12 months or 24 months so as not to punish those who aren't reselling phones. This fee the way it's implemented is absurd! Hopefully Cricket comes to their senses when it comes time for me to upgrade.
    I agree! At least give a few slots per year

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slagish View Post
    Well he just didn’t realize or misunderstood what that policy says.

Essentially it’s for purchasing new phones from cricket... not BYOD.

You can “bring” your own device anytime by just simply swapping SIM card. Or buy a new SIM card and activate it on your own personal device for new accounts. I just did this recently with a relative.

Now for buying those cheap/sweet deals from cricket, it requires an “upgrade” charge of $25. That’s all that is. AT&T got greedy and implemented this to cricket.
    Upgrade fee is same thing as "activation fee"???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast