Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Gigabit LTE

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Hi Jim

Donít you think Verizon should of bought more spectrum just to play it safe?? Densifying costs tons of money too and getting permits can take quite a long time
    What spectrum that was available do you feel they should've picked up?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    It would have been nice to see Verizon go after a 10x10 chunk of nationwide 600. Now, with AT&T selling theirs, T-Mobile will be the only carrier deploying it in the U.S. and will allow the spectrum squatters to continue hoarding premium airwaves.

Feedback Score
    Nationwide AWS-3 like AT&T won , nationwide 10x10 600 ( just to bulletproof their low band holdings)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    It would have been nice to see Verizon go after a 10x10 chunk of nationwide 600. Now, with AT&T selling theirs, T-Mobile will be the only carrier deploying it in the U.S. and will allow the spectrum squatters to continue hoarding the beach front spectrum..
    Especially with T-Mobile winning tons of wideband lowband across the country , Verizon could use more than just bands 5 and 13. AT&T is in excellent position as well with 5,12, and 14

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Especially with T-Mobile winning tons of wideband lowband across the country , Verizon could use more than just bands 5 and 13. AT&T is in excellent position as well with 5,12, and 14
    I don't really think Verizon needs more low band, but the idea of spectrum squatters makes me sick. Also, the price was super low this time around. It won't be low anymore. There's also another political effect: The carriers do nothing but whine that they need more spectrum. So the FCC puts TV through a lot of pain to make room for more wireless carriers. Then 3 of the 4 carriers sit the auction out*. That will surely be remembered.

What I wish they would do is pick up the midband that Dish has. The network they're hastily slapping together now will be a joke, if it even gets built.

*I am counting AT&T as having sat it out, since clearly they only bought some to hedge against potentially not getting band 14.

Feedback Score

Verizon Gigabit LTE

Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I don't really think Verizon needs more low band, but the idea of spectrum squatters makes me sick. Also, the price was super low this time around. It won't be low anymore. There's also another political effect: The carriers do nothing but whine that they need more spectrum. So the FCC puts TV through a lot of pain to make room for more wireless carriers. Then 3 of the 4 carriers sit the auction out*. That will surely be remembered.

What I wish they would do is pick up the midband that Dish has. The network they're hastily slapping together now will be a joke, if it even gets built.

*I am counting AT&T as having sat it out, since clearly they only bought some to hedge against potentially not getting band 14.
    Remember band 5 for Verizon is still tied up due to voice coverage . AT&T can deploy more band 14 and in 10x10 where Verizon is starting off with 5x5. Their band 13 is so congested in many markets , theyíll have to rely on much more density to keep up. In my market ... Iím on band 2 and 4 90-95 percent of the time and their density is stellar.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Remember band 5 for Verizon is still tied up due to voice coverage . AT&T can deploy more band 14 and in 10x10 where Verizon will be starting off with 5x5. Their band 13 is so congested in many markets , they’ll have to rely on much more density to keep up
    Oh, I remember. I wish they'd get on that refarm already.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget about 29! Lol. It does wonders for band 2 indoors.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Buying spectrum is not by any means a "quick fix". There's billions spent on purchasing licenses then many billions more in equipment costs, engineering costs, construction costs and a time line of probably 2-3 years for a decent nationwide rollout.
    I suppose ďquick fixĒ wasnít perhaps the best word to use and I know itís not cheap adding new spectrum but neither is adding tons of new small sites. Itís just an assumption but Iím sure itís cheaper to upgrade a site vs add a new one.

The point I was trying to make is that Adding spectrum would increase capacity/speed in a much wider geographical area compared to the short range LAA has and more devices would be able to access it immediately (depending on what frequencies they get).

LAA may boost my speed for a block from the small cell but spectrum could give me miles of increased speed/capacity so thatís why I favor spectrum over LAA. I think LAA should be treated as a way to get those ďgigabit speedsĒ not make a severely congested area get useable speeds. But by no means am I any type of network engineer. Thatís just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Don't forget about 29! Lol. It does wonders for band 2 indoors.

Ahh yes ! I forgot ! Capacity is capacity !

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I personally wish we could just nationalize cellular service: Combine all cellular networks in the USA, have them run by the federal government or by a regulated monopoly, and sell service at break-even or only slightly profitable pricing, just like we do with other basic utilities.

It’s not political to me; it’s practical. Dividing up the nation’s best spectrum makes it much less efficient. It’s the same concept as carrier aggregation: Pooling resources results in better performance for everyone.

Having separate wireless carriers made sense before the age of the spectrum crunch, but nowadays, it’s just wasteful. We figured out ages ago that utilities are most efficient when provided by government-regulated monopolies; why not apply the same logic here?

As for the capitalist angle: Can you honestly say that there’s real competition in the wireless industry? Capitalism is supposed to have many competitiors driving down prices and driving up quality, but we’re down to only three viable carriers now, and they keep their pricing and coverage extremely similar, for the most part. (Obviously there are plenty of exceptions, but I think it’s fair to estimate that there’s something like a 95% coverage overlap.) The competition is over. The big guys won. There are no more opportunities for small businesses here, so it’s not a real free market anymore.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    I personally wish we could just nationalize cellular service: Combine all cellular networks in the USA, have them run by the federal government or by a regulated monopoly, and sell service at break-even or only slightly profitable pricing, just like we do with other basic utilities.

Itís not political to me; itís practical. Dividing up the nationís best spectrum makes it much less efficient. Itís the same concept as carrier aggregation: Pooling resources results in better performance for everyone.

Having separate wireless carriers made sense before the age of the spectrum crunch, but nowadays, itís just wasteful. We figured out ages ago that utilities are most efficient when provided by government-regulated monopolies; why not apply the same logic here?

As for the capitalist angle: Can you honestly say that thereís real competition in the wireless industry? Capitalism is supposed to have many competitiors driving down prices and driving up quality, but weíre down to only three viable carriers now, and they keep their pricing and coverage extremely similar, for the most part. (Obviously there are plenty of exceptions, but I think itís fair to estimate that thereís something like a 95% coverage overlap.) The competition is over. The big guys won. There are no more opportunities for small businesses here, so itís not a real free market anymore.
    I see where your going with this but I donít know how well a national cell company would work out. Instead of companies pushing each other to get subscribers it would become a sub par network just performing well enough to get by.

I am totally in favor of a spectrum reorganization on the national level though. Just putting blocks together so cellular companies can have wider channels would make a huge difference.

As far as some type of national coverage I think ATT will be the first one to come closest to that with the first net contract.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post

Itís not political to me; itís practical. Dividing up the nationís best spectrum makes it much less efficient. Itís the same concept as carrier aggregation: Pooling resources results in better performance for everyone.

Having separate wireless carriers made sense before the age of the spectrum crunch, but nowadays, itís just wasteful. We figured out ages ago that utilities are most efficient when provided by government-regulated monopolies; why not apply the same logic here?

As for the capitalist angle: Can you honestly say that thereís real competition in the wireless industry? Capitalism is supposed to have many competitiors driving down prices and driving up quality, but weíre down to only three viable carriers now, and they keep their pricing and coverage extremely similar, for the most part. (Obviously there are plenty of exceptions, but I think itís fair to estimate that thereís something like a 95% coverage overlap.) The competition is over. The big guys won. There are no more opportunities for small businesses here, so itís not a real free market anymore.
    If the government or a regulated monopoly ran a cellular network, we'd all be on 1X or Edge. Where would the incentive be to make networks better and stay ahead of the other carrier. Coverage overlap creates choice, who has the best coverage for my needs? Now it's all about data. Who's the fastest, who works indoors where you live, work and play. Don't get too caught up on just the price, just because prices are similar across the board, the networks still have the pros and cons in different areas, which cause many people to change carriers.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    It would have been nice to see Verizon go after a 10x10 chunk of nationwide 600. Now, with AT&T selling theirs, T-Mobile will be the only carrier deploying it in the U.S. and will allow the spectrum squatters to continue hoarding premium airwaves.
    Verizon would not have been able to get nationwide 600 per the rules of the auction. Even if they went all out they would be able to get, at best, a patchwork of licenses that would partially cover the US which is fairly useless.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Nationwide AWS-3 like AT&T won , nationwide 10x10 600 ( just to bulletproof their low band holdings)
    See above for 600 and Verizon did get quite a bit of AWS-3. They already have nationwide AWS so this is just to bolster any areas that have less than, say, a 15x15 or 20x20 block of B4.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast