Thread: Moving from AT&T Verizon Wireless - in San Diego

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question Moving from AT&T Verizon Wireless - in San Diego

Moving from AT&T to Verizon ... recently moved to SD & seriously, service for AT&T around here is just horrible, it's so bad it is just time to move carriers. Looking for thoughts, deals, questions I should ask Verizon to plan to make this work correct....

I am VERY longtime AT&T customer, like forever... LA Cellular > AT&T Wireless > Cingular> AT&T Wireless... I am almost sad to go but whatever... The point of cellular service is it just to work.

What I have:

* iPhone 8 Pius (unlocked purchased outright direct from Apple, correct model # to move anywhere, I planned this)
    * iPad Pro 10.5 w/cellular
    * Apple Watch - series 3 w/cellular. Looking forward to having this activated.

I have an unopened iPhone X but's it was purchased direct in full from AT&T. I am pretty sure for whatever stupid reason I cannot use this model on Verizon but if I bought a Verizon model I could have used it on AT&T? WTF? Not sure what I'm going to do with this iPhone X yet...

grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan on my iPhone (I go thru about 5-6 Gigs a month). Sad to see that go but whatever... I think it does not matter much anymore but it was nice to have for years....
    currently still on 24% FAN from my old job (AT&T FAN = Foundation Access Number, a discount plan)
    never connected Apple Watch series 3 to any network yet

Verizon activation fees apparently can get waved but is there anything else I should ask for?
    I know Verizon will want a credit check, meh... whatever... ok. I do NOT plan on buying any equipment.
    I'm not military but is there any other Verizon discounts that can be added on?
    Most likely going to do this via a store to make sure everything moves over nice. I plan on keeping my #

thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Moving from AT&T Verizon Wireless - in San Diego

It looks like Verizon may be supporting the Intel X as an LTE only device. It seems like you should be able to activate it with Verizon. If not then you can just stick an already active SIM in and use it. Make sure AT&T unlocked it though. https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com...QB&sh=29d0d481

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    It looks like Verizon may be supporting the Intel X as an LTE only device. It seems like you should be able to activate it with Verizon. If not then you can just stick an already active SIM in and use it. Make sure AT&T unlocked it though. https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com...QB&sh=29d0d481
    Do you need CDMA on Verizon?

i should be able to get my iPhone X unlocked, i purchased it outright, no contract

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cell8Addict View Post
    Do you need CDMA on Verizon?

i should be able to get my iPhone X unlocked, i purchased it outright, no contract
    You don’t need CDMA. Verizon actually sells LTE only flip phones now. You can unlock the phone using AT&T’s site here https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Sent from my AT&T iPhone X using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nicothetechguy View Post
    You don’t need CDMA. Verizon actually sells LTE only flip phones now. You can unlock the phone using AT&T’s site here https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Do you lose performance / coverage area? I am assuming yes?

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Moving from AT&T Verizon Wireless - in San Diego

Do you lose performance / coverage area? I am assuming yes?
    I’m not sure. Check out their coverage maps. I’d assume no as they have 2.4 Million + square miles of LTE coverage. Verizon is solid in most of SoCal. While camping in the outskirts of San Diego county I’ve gotten LTE on Verizon, HSPA + on AT&T and roaming/ no service with T-Mobile and Sprint. If you want CDMA you can return the AT&T X and then pick up a Verizon model at an Apple store. This morning the stores up here in LA got stock and I saw some available. They might be sold out now but try and call an Apple store and see if they have any. You could also do your switch to Verizon there. They give out free SIM cards too so you could start the first line of the account on the X you’d buy there and then activate your other BYOD lines with their sims over the phone. Update: Verizon will definitely let you use the AT&T iPhone X. Here’s what I got on their BYOD site https://imgur.com/a/a94wx

Last edited by nicothetechguy; 11-12-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Feedback Score
    You lose access to the CDMA network for voice. Volte is starting to and all carries still rely on their older network to ensure customers have coverage (CDMA or GSM) of you use the GSM version with Verizon them you will see how false the Verizon claims of their network are. T-Mobile is there only carrier that boldly indicates the strength of their lte network. All others give a blanket coverage map the show coverage but not strength. Strength of the network is key due to hills and buildings.

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cfcastro View Post
    You lose access to the CDMA network for voice. Volte is starting to and all carries still rely on their older network to ensure customers have coverage (CDMA or GSM) of you use the GSM version with Verizon them you will see how false the Verizon claims of their network are. T-Mobile is there only carrier that boldly indicates the strength of their lte network. All others give a blanket coverage map the show coverage but not strength. Strength of the network is key due to hills and buildings.
    Verizon has the most LTE coverage 2.4 + Million Square Miles and they have LTE only flip phones so they’re confident about their LTE coverage. If you don’t want “false claims” look at third party websites and compare their sites to the carrier sites. All of the carriers over exaggerate their coverage. Also why did you bring up T-Mobile? OP didn’t ask about T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nicothetechguy View Post
    Verizon has the most LTE coverage 2.4 + Million Square Miles and they have LTE only flip phones so they’re confident about their LTE coverage. If you don’t want “false claims” look at third party websites and compare their sites to the carrier sites. All of the carriers over exaggerate their coverage. Also why did you bring up T-Mobile? OP didn’t ask about T-Mobile.

I swear you did first in Post #6. Just teasin'
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Moving from AT&T to Verizon ... recently moved to SD & seriously, service for AT&T around here is just horrible, it's so bad it is just time to move carriers. Looking for thoughts, deals, questions I should ask Verizon to plan to make this work correct....

I am VERY longtime AT&T customer, like forever... LA Cellular > AT&T Wireless > Cingular> AT&T Wireless... I am almost sad to go but whatever... The point of cellular service is it just to work.

What I have:

* iPhone 8 Pius (unlocked purchased outright direct from Apple, correct model # to move anywhere, I planned this)
    * iPad Pro 10.5 w/cellular
    * Apple Watch - series 3 w/cellular. Looking forward to having this activated.

I have an unopened iPhone X but's it was purchased direct in full from AT&T. I am pretty sure for whatever stupid reason I cannot use this model on Verizon but if I bought a Verizon model I could have used it on AT&T? WTF? Not sure what I'm going to do with this iPhone X yet...

grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan on my iPhone (I go thru about 5-6 Gigs a month). Sad to see that go but whatever... I think it does not matter much anymore but it was nice to have for years....
    currently still on 24% FAN from my old job (AT&T FAN = Foundation Access Number, a discount plan)
    never connected Apple Watch series 3 to any network yet

Verizon activation fees apparently can get waved but is there anything else I should ask for?
    I know Verizon will want a credit check, meh... whatever... ok. I do NOT plan on buying any equipment.
    I'm not military but is there any other Verizon discounts that can be added on?
    Most likely going to do this via a store to make sure everything moves over nice. I plan on keeping my #

thoughts, suggestions, etc?
    Curious? Is it congestion, dropped calls over VoLTE etc?

When I used AT&T a year or so ago the service seemed to work just fine in Downtown and the Mira Mesa area I'd frequent.

Granted a year ago there were a lot of pockets of legacy 4G but I'm sure it's filled in now with LTE.

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I swear you did first in Post #6. Just teasin'
    Yeah. I was just talking about my experience with the big four on the rural part of SD county

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    North County San Diego beach cities - La Jolla/Del Mar all the way to Carlsbad/Oceanside

coverage on the beach for AT&T is just horrible.... Verizon works great.
    If you have an Apple Watch w/LTE and want use it in the ocean? No AT&T, yes Verizon

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless - AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    North County San Diego beach cities - La Jolla/Del Mar all the way to Carlsbad/Oceanside
    I believe this, especially if you are on S21/Old 101 and in the beaches in Carlsbad between La Costa Ave and the power plant.

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes/no on the CDMA question.
    It means that in some areas you will not get coverage since LTE is not 100% of the coverage as CDMA.
    That being said, why not either sell or return the X and get the proper one?
    They haven't been out long enough not to return and get a full refund.
    As to why Verizon model is > AT&T?
    The Verizon model used the Qualcomm radio that includes CDMA, the AT&T/T-Mobile version uses the Intel modem which has not CDMA support.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster