Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should I give in and buy an iphone for the camera?

Feedback Score

Should I give in and buy an iphone for the camera?

So, I have posted before about needing a good camera. I bought a panasonic lumix zs100 and, its past the point of being able to return, but I am not thrilled. Long story, and not the main point of this thread, but basically one of my concerns is that I don't feel the photos of people end up looking like the actual people. My ipad mini 2 does a better job with this, which was very disappointing! Also, I always wanted the camera phone to be very decent as it is what I will have all of the time. I am upgrading from a very old Windows phone because I want to use apps more anyway.

-I basically want a universal unlocked phone with a great camera.
    -I really don't want to spend more than $500, but will spend that much for the above.
    -I am willing to buy on swappa or other reliable re-seller
    -At&t does the best around here, although Verizon and T-Mobile can do the job as well. I was thinking of going with the RP annual deal, so need to think about if I would go with an iphone as I would need to get Verizon to be able to get MMS (and MMS is something I use a lot).
    -I guess I should also add that part of my objective is to find a phone with a good camera and combine that with a relatively inexpensive plan that has UNL talk and text and some data. I also would want the phone to be good for several years and allow me flexibility amongst/plans carriers.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    I would buy the certified refurbished iPhone 6S+ from Apple. It has a nice camera and you can pick any prepaid plan on the sim free version.
    https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/ho...aldeals/iphone

Comes with a year warranty
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Best Buy has the unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 for $469 brand new. Toms Hardware Guide liked its camera better than the 6s. Just another alternative.

Feedback Score
    Costco will have the unlocked Moto G5 Plus on sale for $169.99 November 17th through the 27th.
    https://m.costco.com/Moto-G5-Plus-Un...100360682.html

I've heard that the camera is pretty good.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4
    *After All, There Is Nothing Real Outside Our Perception Of Reality, Is There?*

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies! Hmmn, given Costco's return policy, it might be worth it to try the Moto 5. I am thinking I will want a better camera, but if there's not a lot to use maybe I will try it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post
    Thanks for the replies! Hmmn, given Costco's return policy, it might be worth it to try the Moto 5. I am thinking I will want a better camera, but if there's not a lot to use maybe I will try it.
    My brother is thinking about it too.
    He'll be going from the Lumia 640 to this one and it seems like a nice upgrade from what he's using.

Costco return policy is pretty good.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

Feedback Score
    Looks like the Best Buy S7 sale has ended.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I read the reviews on the Moto G5 Plus camera and they're generally not good (although people are impressed with everything else about it, generally speaking). So, I probably won't try that route as I really do want to good camera. Keep the ideas coming! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    iPhone SE? A great camera (same as iPhone 6S), and you can get it for $399 unlocked from Apple, or ~$100-200 from various prepaid carriers (Go Phone, Total Wireless, etc) assuming you don't mind it being locked to that carrier for awhile.

Feedback Score
    surprised nobody has mentioned https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews/
    but actually even the best phone camera will lag behind something like the zs100

Feedback Score
    I say no but compare for yourself.

Cell Phone camera comparison
    https://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=1

I say get a LG G4 or newer. I bought a mint condition LG G4. It takes excellent pictures. It was $103.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Device(s)
    iphones se
    Carrier(s)
    att & verizon (resellers of course)
    Feedback Score
    Should I give in and buy an iphone for the camera?
    I did..

And if you buy a straighttalk/walmart $100 iphone se.. it is possible through a method to actually turn that into a "useable" unlocked iphone.. (done it twice now)

-I really don't want to spend more than $500, but will spend that much for the above.
    that is way too much!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    surprised nobody has mentioned https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews/
    but actually even the best phone camera will lag behind something like the zs100
    This is site awesome! Thanks!
    I think I may be doing something wrong with the zs100 or have something to learn about it. My people pictures just don't look like the people. I also can't figure out how to connect to my computer through wifi. There are instructions and I try them, but can't get it to work. When I google lots of people have had this problem, and it seems they eventually figure it out but its not clear how.

theemaster, what method do you use to unlock the se? I know it used to work to be a "non-customer" (or something like that) and At&t would unlock, but I understand they don't do that anymore. I don't like the small size of the se as far as a phone, but it is great for everything else.

Feedback Score
    This is site awesome! Thanks!
    I think I may be doing something wrong with the zs100 or have something to learn about it. My people pictures just don't look like the people. I also can't figure out how to connect to my computer through wifi. There are instructions and I try them, but can't get it to work. When I google lots of people have had this problem, and it seems they eventually figure it out but its not clear how.
    Theres a few camera/photography forums out there, one example: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1033 maybe some people there can give you more help/advice with this specific model. you'll probably get a lot more help since it is dedicated to cameras and there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people there from the few times i've visited there

Device(s)
    iphones se
    Carrier(s)
    att & verizon (resellers of course)
    Feedback Score
    theemaster, what method do you use to unlock the se?
    pm me.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast