Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 8 and iPhone X Bands

Feedback Score

iPhone 8 and iPhone X Bands

Are the iPhone 8 and iPhone X world phones that will work on and cell phone provider or do you still need a special model for Verizon as was the case with the iPhone 7?

If you want a phone that is portable to any network, do you need to buy the Verizon version?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Are the iPhone 8 and iPhone X world phones that will work on and cell phone provider or do you still need a special model for Verizon as was the case with the iPhone 7?

If you want a phone that is portable to any network, do you need to buy the Verizon version?
    I'm not an expert on cellular technologies, but here's my take:

If the network you are planning to use the phone on is CDMA, you need the Verizon version of the iPhone 8 and X. Just like the iPhone 7, the models sold to AT&T and T-mobile use the Intel modem (non-CDMA) vs. the Qualcomm CDMA modem used in the Verizon model. Also, the Verizon model iPhones are ALWAYS unlocked per agreements Verizon made with the FCC. I believe some of the other carriers still lock their iPhones (not positive).

That said, I can't imagine there's very much CDMA being used worldwide anymore - especially since most carriers in other countries never used CDMA in the first place. A non-Qualcomm model iPhone would probably work well in most countries as a result.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    I'm not an expert on cellular technologies, but here's my take:

If the network you are planning to use the phone on is CDMA, you need the Verizon version of the iPhone 8 and X. Just like the iPhone 7, the models sold to AT&T and T-mobile use the Intel modem (non-CDMA) vs. the Qualcomm CDMA modem used in the Verizon model. Also, the Verizon model iPhones are ALWAYS unlocked per agreements Verizon made with the FCC. I believe some of the other carriers still lock their iPhones (not positive).

That said, I can't imagine there's very much CDMA being used worldwide anymore - especially since most carriers in other countries never used CDMA in the first place. A non-Qualcomm model iPhone would probably work well in most countries as a result.
    For non US use, I agree. Caveat about Verizon. For Verizon prepaid, if Verizon provides a discounted price, it is locked.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying myself the new generation iPhone about every 2 years.

Feedback Score

from what i understand the verizon / sprint models have both CDMA & GSM radios and the faster processor/modem
    and have all the current bands. while the AT&T / Tmobile versions lack any CDMA radios and have the lower modems.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless - AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    With both the non-CDMA and CDMA models of the iPhone 8 and X you can use any GSM/HSPA/LTE provider of your choice. If you plan on using Verizon Wireless or Sprint you need the model with the CDMA radio.

If a GSM/HSPA/LTE provider then either model will work.

Feedback Score
    Sprint and VZ versions can go anywhere regardless of GSM, HSUPA, UMTS et etc. ATT and Tmo cannot go to cdma based carriers. PS the aintel chip is so bad the Qualcomm carriers needed to retard the performance to match the Intel version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    As big as Big Red's VoLTE network is are they still limiting activation of iPhone 8/X models to the Qualcomm version?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    For Verizon prepaid, if Verizon provides a discounted price, it is locked.
    This can't be true. Verizon's 2008 purchase of the Upper 700 MHz C Block came with the stipulation that they would never lock any LTE device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    This can't be true. Verizon's 2008 purchase of the Upper 700 MHz C Block came with the stipulation that they would never lock any LTE device.
    See here - http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...d+phone+locked

Device(s)
    VZW iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    from what i understand the verizon / sprint models have both CDMA & GSM radios and the faster processor/modem
    and have all the current bands. while the AT&T / Tmobile versions lack any CDMA radios and have the lower modems.
    The processor is the same across all iPhone 8 and X models. (A11 bionic).

The modem is supposedly faster on paper for the CDMA models versus the non-CDMA models, however they’re software crippled so that both modems operate at the same processing speed.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I tested it a couple months ago. Bought a backup phone ($42 Moto E4). Locked until I followed unlock rules, then easily unlocked.

Subsidized (4G in the Box) devices are treated different.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How is Verizon getting away with this blatant violation of a federal contract?

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    How is Verizon getting away with this blatant violation of a federal contract?
    Pre-pay can be treated differently.
    No violation.
    They can restrict pre-pay devices if they are subsidized.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    As big as Big Red's VoLTE network is are they still limiting activation of iPhone 8/X models to the Qualcomm version?
    Nope, Intel iPhones are able to be activated and used on Verizon. 8/X only though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/7c89bh

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Nope, Intel iPhones are able to be activated and used on Verizon. 8/X only though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/7c89bh
    Good to know thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast