Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Carrier aggregation band combinations

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    405
    Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Carrier aggregation band combinations

    What are all the band combinations when Band 12 is the PCell?
    On my serving site my phone doesn't seem to aggregate B12+B4, but will aggregate B4+B12
    It seems the only CA it will do is B12+B30
    Any input is appreciated thanks.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    2,838
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    0
    The cell site determines what combination your device will connect to. All newer devices support reciprocating pairings like 12+2/2+12, 12+30/30+12, 12+4/4+12, 4+5/5+4, etc with the exception of B29 of course which is D/L only. 12+5 is not yet supported however.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    9
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    The cell site determines what combination your device will connect to. All newer devices support reciprocating pairings like 12+2/2+12, 12+30/30+12, 12+4/4+12, 4+5/5+4, etc with the exception of B29 of course which is D/L only. 12+5 is not yet supported however.
    What about older devices like the Galaxy S6? And when you say Band 12, are you referring to Band 17, or the actual Band 12 superset?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,785
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    The cell site determines what combination your device will connect to. All newer devices support reciprocating pairings like 12+2/2+12, 12+30/30+12, 12+4/4+12, 4+5/5+4, etc with the exception of B29 of course which is D/L only. 12+5 is not yet supported however.
    12+29 can’t aggregate period from what I understand unfortunately. I can’t wait for a few years when we could see combos like 71+12+5, in markets where AT&T might own all those bands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Bounds View Post
    What about older devices like the Galaxy S6? And when you say Band 12, are you referring to Band 17, or the actual Band 12 superset?
    Galaxy S6 displays as Band 12. And AT&T owns no A block licenses, but B/C/B+C blocks are just as valid as A block when it comes to “actual Band 12”. And this is an AT&T thread, so unless explicitly stated otherwise, we are referring to B/C/B+C blocks.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    9
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the info. Would the Galaxy S6 and S7 aggregate 2/4, or are they only programmed to aggregate 2/12 and 4/12? And, will they aggregate different bands from different sites?

    In my area, my phones don't aggregate and I am not sure where to start to troubleshoot the problem. It could be my SIMs, the APNs, the hardware, the firmware, or the towers themselves.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    2,838
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Bounds View Post
    Thanks for the info. Would the Galaxy S6 and S7 aggregate 2/4, or are they only programmed to aggregate 2/12 and 4/12? And, will they aggregate different bands from different sites?

    In my area, my phones don't aggregate and I am not sure where to start to troubleshoot the problem. It could be my SIMs, the APNs, the hardware, the firmware, or the towers themselves.
    When I first got my S6 edge, it displayed B17. After a few updates, it displayed B12. I'm pretty sure the S6 will do 2+4 and it will do 2+5 and 4+5. The S7 definitely will do 2+4 along with 3x Carrier Aggregation in many different combos. The sites themselves determine the combos and which band your phone will connect to. I can't imagine the sites in your area aren't doing CA but it is possible. AT&T is upgrading so I imagine you'll see it soon.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    9
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    When I first got my S6 edge, it displayed B17. After a few updates, it displayed B12. I'm pretty sure the S6 will do 2+4 and it will do 2+5 and 4+5. The S7 definitely will do 2+4 along with 3x Carrier Aggregation in many different combos. The sites themselves determine the combos and which band your phone will connect to. I can't imagine the sites in your area aren't doing CA but it is possible. AT&T is upgrading so I imagine you'll see it soon.
    Were you doing CA out of the box? I'm still on an old firmware because I needed to root the phone to make the battery life tolerable, and I fear that the old baseband might be why I don't see CA. I've been hesitant to upgrade it because of the locked bootloader, as there are no root methods for Marshmallow/Nougat.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    2,838
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Bounds View Post
    Were you doing CA out of the box? I'm still on an old firmware because I needed to root the phone to make the battery life tolerable, and I fear that the old baseband might be why I don't see CA. I've been hesitant to upgrade it because of the locked bootloader, as there are no root methods for Marshmallow/Nougat.
    Yep. CA right from the start. There were a lot less LTE bands deployed at that time but spotted 2+5 In Michigan's Thumb and 4+5 in northwest lower Michigan. Areas where they didn't have any 700. I will try and dig out some of my older white screen Service Mode pics.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    2,838
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    0
    Barney Bounds.....these go back to 2015 on my Galaxy S6 edge.

    June 1, 2015.
    Name:  Screenshot_2015-06-01-18-32-45.png
Views: 57
Size:  259.9 KB


    June 12, 2015 in northern Michigan.
    Name:  Screenshot_2015-06-12-23-59-47.png
Views: 57
Size:  250.3 KB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    9
    Feedback Score
    0
    In a site where you don't have CA, what is the output? Mine says:

    CA:NONE,SC_NUM:0

    On the Galaxy S5, which has Lolipop but doesn't have the LTE-A hardware, I get

    CA-DISABLED

    It's possible the towers don't support CA here. Band 4 is 20x20, Band 17 10x10, and Band 30 10x10. Band 4 is all I connected to, and it's larger than the aggregate in the screens you posted.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,785
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Bounds View Post
    In a site where you don't have CA, what is the output? Mine says:

    CA:NONE,SC_NUM:0

    On the Galaxy S5, which has Lolipop but doesn't have the LTE-A hardware, I get

    CA-DISABLED

    It's possible the towers don't support CA here. Band 4 is 20x20, Band 17 10x10, and Band 30 10x10. Band 4 is all I connected to, and it's larger than the aggregate in the screens you posted.
    Where in the world are you that AT&T has 20x20 Band 4 licenses? And the S5 can aggregate up to 20 MHz DL. My Note 3 could even do 4+17 or 17+4.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    9
    Feedback Score
    0
    Typo, I meant Band 2. T-Mobile operates Band 2/4 in the same area on 20x20.

    I was under the impression the S5 was incapable of CA. The Qcom chip isn't on the list of LTE-A supported devices.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,785
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Bounds View Post
    Typo, I meant Band 2. T-Mobile operates Band 2/4 in the same area on 20x20.

    I was under the impression the S5 was incapable of CA. The Qcom chip isn't on the list of LTE-A supported devices.
    Snapdragon 801 can definitely do CA up to 20 MHz, even the 800 can.

    https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...processors/801

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    9
    Feedback Score
    0
    I had no idea, but in the end it doesn't impact me due to the wideband available in the area.

    I went to the city and was able to confirm - briefly - that CA worked, but I couldn't confirm the bands. It happened too fast. However, I suspect that the bands were less than 20x20, as the only 20x20 in the area is Band 2, and I saw Band 17 10x10, Band 30 10x10, and Band 4 5x5. This correlates with 10mm's screenshots of aggregating under 20x20 bandwidth.

    CAT-6 should be able to aggregate 20x20, so why can't I aggregate 2/12 for 30x30? Is this a firmware, baseband, or tower issue?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,785
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Bounds View Post
    I had no idea, but in the end it doesn't impact me due to the wideband available in the area.

    I went to the city and was able to confirm - briefly - that CA worked, but I couldn't confirm the bands. It happened too fast. However, I suspect that the bands were less than 20x20, as the only 20x20 in the area is Band 2, and I saw Band 17 10x10, Band 30 10x10, and Band 4 5x5. This correlates with 10mm's screenshots of aggregating under 20x20 bandwidth.

    CAT-6 should be able to aggregate 20x20, so why can't I aggregate 2/12 for 30x30? Is this a firmware, baseband, or tower issue?
    Your S5 is Cat 4.

    And Carrier Aggregation doesn’t affect upload yet, so it would be 30x20 or 30x10!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HTC 10 CA Carrier Aggregation Band Combos
    By AndrewSFM in forum HTC
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2017, 06:18 PM
  2. iPhone 6s/6s+ Carrier Aggregation Band Combinations?
    By VVivian in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-25-2015, 09:16 PM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 08:57 PM
  4. Sprint Band 41 Carrier Aggregation FOUND
    By Paynefanbro in forum Sprint
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-26-2015, 05:09 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2014, 04:15 AM

Bookmarks