Thread: Landline call blocking

Feedback Score

Landline call blocking

I am about to climb the walls. I get roughly 500 telemarketing calls a year, mostly from home improvement companies. I have a call blocking box and I've so far blocked 160 numbers. But they just spoof another number and call again and again.

There is another kind of call blocking box that if it's not in the white list, they have to hit a number to ring through. The problem there is that it won't ring the phones (it rings on the box) and won't forward to an answering machine.

It occurs to me there is a solution. If a phone system had a white list built in where they'd have to hit a number to ring through, the phone itself could ring and forward to it's own answering machine. But I don't know of anything like that that exists.

I don't want to have to change my number, and frankly I don't think it would fix the problem anyway. I'd get the telemarketing calls from the last people who had the number.

Any suggestions are appreciated. An Amazon gift card to the person who comes up with a real solution.

Thanks!

Donald

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Landline call blocking

Ideas:

Google voice has somewhat useful spam filtering. You could port the number to google voice (need an intermediate cell carrier) and then answer calls on an obi device. You need solid internet for this.

I suppose another solution is to arrange to receive the calls on a cell phone and use a call blocker with a community maintained spammer list.

callcontrol sells a call blocking device for landlines with a community maintained spammer list. I haven’t tried it, but I do use their mobile app. https://www.callcontrol.com/call-control-home

I still have a landline, but I have stopped answering it unless I am expecting a call. Anyone real will leave a voicemail. The landline number is the number I give to people/companies I don’t want to talk to, which is most people.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by donald_s View Post
    I am about to climb the walls. I get roughly 500 telemarketing calls a year, mostly from home improvement companies. I have a call blocking box and I've so far blocked 160 numbers. But they just spoof another number and call again and again....
    I feel your pain. I was getting junk and scam calls every fifteen minutes ALL DAY LONG on my landline. My number has been on the do not call list for a long time. All of these calls were illegal made by criminals.

A web search for "landline call blocker with whitelist" shows that such things do exist. I have not read the specs or reviews yet.

You could port your landline number to Google Voice and setup call screening there. That announces the caller and lets you listen as caller leaves a message. This is not perfect since your known contacts would have to do this too. GV also actively screens for spam calls and blocks them if you enable Spam Filtering.

My personal solution was to record the number out of service "SIT Tone" at the beginning of my answering machine message and let all calls go to the answering machine first. I don't have Caller ID on the landline so I can't see who is calling to go ahead and answer known contacts.

After a week with the SIT Tone on the message my phone even ringing dropped to just a few a week or two. Very few leave a message. I could probably take it off now until it ramps up again.

The robocallers computers "listen" for the SIT Tone and flag the numbers they hear it on as out of service to not bother calling again.

I also got TextFree service and number as a loser line. This is the number I give when I have to give one to a non-critical business. It goes straight to voicemail in their app on my cellphone where I can get the message. Not putting your real number out there to be sold on the black market goes a long way towards minimizing the problem. Important businesses like my bank, credit cards medical providers and mortgage do get my real number.

This junk does really happen. When I would leave my car at the Ford dealer for service I would give them my home, office and cell numbers to let me know the status. Within a week after visiting the Ford dealer I would be deluged with junk calls. Someone there was selling our numbers to spammer/scammers.

Good luck

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by donald_s View Post
    I am about to climb the walls. I get roughly 500 telemarketing calls a year, mostly from home improvement companies. I have a call blocking box and I've so far blocked 160 numbers. But they just spoof another number and call again and again.
    You don't mention who your landline provider is, your monthly cost, or your approximate monthly usage.

One option would be to port your number to Callcentric. You would need an ATA in this scenario. Newegg happens to have the OBi200 on sale until Sunday for $35. Great deal.

Callcentric has some of the best telemarketing blocks around. By default, all incoming calls go thru the TrueCNAM Spam filter which gives a spam probability rating. Based on that rating you can route the call anywhere you choose......like an error message, SIT tone, etc.

You can also set up call hunting so all incoming calls go to Nomorobo first then to your phone. If the call gets a hit from Nomorobo it will hang up the call.

Finally, Callcentric has a specific Telemarketer Block so that the caller has to press a number to ring thru. The idea being anyone not in your phone book (or from a certain area code or other criteria, etc) would get routed to the Telemarketer Block. This process alone stops over 90% of all telemarketers.

So if porting your number to a different provider is an option I would take a hard look at Callcentric. They have a great reputation.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Landline call blocking

Callcentric is indeed a first rate voip provider. I have had an account with them for years.

The only downside of the telemarketer block is that it can confuse people making legitimate calls. You can exempt certain callers from the need to press a key to put the call through though.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Callcentric is indeed a first rate voip provider. I have had an account with them for years.
    Not surprising. Since you're a fellow Washingtonian I just assumed you had good judgment.