Thread: AT&T, Verizon top US highway network performance

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T, Verizon top US highway network performance

21 NOV 2017

AT&T and Verizon proved to be the best networks for US travellers on the road in a recent study of highway performance conducted by Global Wireless Solutions (GWS).

The network benchmarking company’s report, released as more than 40 million US residents prepare to hit the highway for the Thanksgiving holiday on 23 November, indicated Sprint and T-Mobile US struggled to keep up with their rivals in terms of data and voice performance.

The results
    GWS’ research showed AT&T clocked the quickest in-transit download speed of the four tier-1 US carriers with a reading of 6.9Mb/s, nearly 33 per cent faster than its closest competitor, Verizon. AT&T and Verizon tied for upload speed and data reliability, with both networks completing more than 99 per cent of data tasks initiated on the road.

T-Mobile ranked in third place on data speeds and reliability, but Sprint struggled in fourth: the operator managed to complete 85 per cent of data tasks successfully and delivered download speeds “closer to that of AT&T’s 3G network” than its rivals’ LTE networks, GWS stated.

However, Sprint came out ahead of T-Mobile in GWS’ call completion tests. T-Mobile achieved a call completion rate of 89 per cent, well behind the 97 per cent of Verizon and AT&T.

GWS also reported LTE-Advanced network features – including 256QAM, 4×4 MIMO and carrier aggregation – were notably active on US operator networks. In particular, the company indicated carrier aggregation was available nearly 31 per cent of the time on AT&T’s network and 30 per cent on Verizon’s network during highway testing.

Methodology
    GWS said its results were based on nearly 703,000 voice and data tests conducted on major US roadways between March and July. A total of 52,000 miles were driven during testing across the contiguous US and Alaska. Data collection and evaluation was conducted using Rohde & Schwarz Diversity Benchmarker II test equipment, Samsung Galaxy mobile devices, and GWS’s Mobistat data evaluation and reporting platform.
    http://www.mobileworldlive.com/featu...019rN0hAAE&BU=

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, that's nothing I haven't told everyone a million times.

Except in reality when on the road nothing matters more than having consistent coverage, data speed really doesn't matter as long as it works/ is usable. AT&T for me dropped down to HSPA ALOT when on the road and even no service between towers as I got further west in the country. That leaves Verizon, which is incredibly consistent with LTE coverage on the highway.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Well, that's nothing I haven't told everyone a million times.

Except in reality when on the road nothing matters more than having consistent coverage, data speed really doesn't matter as long as it works/ is usable. AT&T for me dropped down to HSPA ALOT when on the road and even no service between towers as I got further west in the country. That leaves Verizon, which is incredibly consistent with LTE coverage on the highway.
    AT&T performed quite well when I traveled from CT to MO. I guess it depends on the areas that you travel. I’m sure Verizon would’ve been the same.
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    I travel the length of NC and SC on a daily basis. AT&T works extremely well. I just tried T-Mobile for 2 months and switched back to AT&T.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    AT&T performed quite well when I traveled from CT to MO. I guess it depends on the areas that you travel. I’m sure Verizon would’ve been the same.
    Did you stay on interstates the whole time? I find AT&T doesn't do so well on US Highways. In Kansas they're spotty the whole way along I-70.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

When I traveled from NC to MI I had no problem with AT&T the whole way except for a few patches in WV. T-Mobile wasn’t too bad except in West Virginia and parts of Ohio.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon was great on my trip to Wyoming/Nebraska from Oklahoma last summer. Even on some of the back highways (cut out once) in SW Oklahoma. 3 years ago in Nebraska, ATT was flakey, dropping to roaming on GSM in spots.

Regardless, I'm going back to ATT next week due to issues inside my building with Verizon, which has degraded since unlimited was offered. I activated a spare phone on an Verizon MVNO cheap for emergency use, if needed, on road trips.
    I gave into temptation, and bought the iPhone X, even though I had a perfectly good, though oversized, 7+.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Did you stay on interstates the whole time? I find AT&T doesn't do so well on US Highways. In Kansas they're spotty the whole way along I-70.
    About 99% of the time yeah. Unless we got off to stay at a hotel, but that’s about it. Never been to Kansas so I can’t comment on their coverage there.

Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Is TMobile generally bad on highways overall especially out west? Most of my main experience now is on track east coast where you could prob get by with Barney's cell service