Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I知 thinking of switching to Freedom

Device(s)
    HTC Touch (barely works now - piece of junk)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

I知 thinking of switching to Freedom

I知 currently on Telus but am getting sick of dealing with them. At home I get lousy LTE speeds and you have to fight like hell with them to get any kind of decent plan. What differences will I notice when switching to Freedom?
    I don稚 do a lot of talking on my phone but use a decent amount of data (5-6gb p/month)
    I usually stay in the Edmonton area, occasionally I go out of town for work to acreages in the Sherwood Park area and go to Saskatoon twice a year to visit family and Okanagan once a year for vacation. In your opinion will Freedom work for me? What problems might I have?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Freedom will work for you but make sure you get an iphone or an LG that includes the wifi calling feature. Its very useful. Freedom LTE is quite good in Edmonton and you will roam on Rogers / Telus when you are in SK / Okanagan.

Telus is very stingy with prices you wont ever get a good plan from them. Rogers is much better and Freedom sweeps the floor when it comes to how much you get for what you pay.

Feedback Score
    ^As of Nov 24 2017 Freedom Mobile doesn't support iPhone Wifi Calling. Android Wifi calling is also limited to a Few Androids Purchased through them.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by krzyszton View Post
    I’m currently on Telus but am getting sick of dealing with them. At home I get lousy LTE speeds and you have to fight like hell with them to get any kind of decent plan. What differences will I notice when switching to Freedom?
    I don’t do a lot of talking on my phone but use a decent amount of data (5-6gb p/month)
    I usually stay in the Edmonton area, occasionally I go out of town for work to acreages in the Sherwood Park area and go to Saskatoon twice a year to visit family and Okanagan once a year for vacation. In your opinion will Freedom work for me? What problems might I have?
    Difference? = slower LTE speed, even longer hold times, far less coverage area (esp since you mention places like SK)
    Positive? = none really....

If you had family in SK why not sign up a Telus SK plan? They cost less than Freedom and has far better coverage (and if REALLY hating on Telus could always try Bell/Rogers)
    You barely use any data (6GB+) so no advantage I see in Freedom

See my signature? I pay $65 per month for North America wide roaming. There also is an $85 for 15GB plan.

*edit - There is a positive if you plan to subsidize hardware. Freedom has announced really good iPhone 8 & iPhone X rates. For an older iPhone such as 6S or 7 then Telus is better.
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $6 Loyalty - $42 Refer = $22 per Month
    Telus SK North American Wide 7GB = $65
    Chatr (Mobi) $40 North America Wide + 6GB + 30 Mins Roaming

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jattdesi View Post
    ^As of Nov 24 2017 Freedom Mobile doesn't support iPhone Wifi Calling. Android Wifi calling is also limited to a Few Androids Purchased through them.
    Reps have confirmed that vowifi will be a go on the iPhones . Freedom doesn't yet sell iPhones - it does pre orders. Once iPhones go on sale you can expect vowifi.

Multiple people confirmed that phones not bought through freedom works on vowifi as well especially LG and Sony so there you have it.

@MrPeppermint in Edmonton Telus LTE crawls during rush hour and freedom might be faster. Rogers is at least 2X as fast here on the old ish phone I have.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    BlackBerry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    I live in sherwood park and you will be on away as the coverage is spotty on the outskirts/acreage

sent by my BB KeyOne
    Lucky Albertan who has five $59 lte plans = $33 each with discounts. And am not moving to new plans without my 1GB data roaming Canada and USA. Love for the Blackberry KEYone

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keefrto View Post
    I live in sherwood park and you will be on away as the coverage is spotty on the outskirts/acreage

sent by my BB KeyOne
    As long as I will still have the ability to make and receive phone calls when I am away, I知 fine. I don稚 really care much about the data during the brief time I値l be out of the city. In general does the reception for phone calls and text messaging work ok?

Feedback Score
    I知 currently on Telus but am getting sick of dealing with them. At home I get lousy LTE speeds and you have to fight like hell with them to get any kind of decent plan. What differences will I notice when switching to Freedom?
    Everyones will differ, as will the variable threshold on what "customer service" should be.

You should definitely sign up for Freedom now; port your number in after you've given it a fair and thorough test of it's services in your daily life and travels.

Then report back here what answers you had from your own experiences in contrast between the two.

If you're going to Freedom for non-lousy data connectivity and custsomer service... LOL, I'd be to hear someone's new and modern perspective of this if it has changed and what pleasant surprises can be had.

Feedback Score
    West end Vancouver on S8..
    Phone and data Service is superb. Zero issues. LTE band 66 fast and stable, no issues with coverage. Even continued a voice call without issue when i used the concrete pedestrian underpass tunnel south of the Granville bridge. I was expecting the call to drop.

In had an issue when Samsung Markham replaced the motherboard on my S8. Putting in the sim rebooted and reset the CSC to GLW, in the process the # for sending messages was reset and locked. [wtf, Samsung]
    I called 611 on the Saturday after Black Friday, and got through quickly. After usual nonsense the tech rep had no clue. So I hiked to the corporate store on Thurlow.

It was crazy busy, and the terminals were very slow. The rep, Mercedes patiently set up another sim and all was well. Many thanks to Mercedes for solving the issue in what was a high pressure day due to the lineup of customers, all with really real really slow responses on the store terminals.

Well done Freedom! If this is the new Freedom, I wish you well.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seekr View Post
    Everyones will differ, as will the variable threshold on what "customer service" should be.

You should definitely sign up for Freedom now; port your number in after you've given it a fair and thorough test of it's services in your daily life and travels.

Then report back here what answers you had from your own experiences in contrast between the two.

If you're going to Freedom for non-lousy data connectivity and custsomer service... LOL, I'd be to hear someone's new and modern perspective of this if it has changed and what pleasant surprises can be had.
    I think that is exactly what I will do. I just realized I have a friend who works at Freedom and she made the same suggestion. I知 honestly not a intensive cell phone user, I do most of my downloading at home on wifi (my Telus LTE at home stinks - 6-7mps download speed) so I mainly use it for steaming radio or podcasts when I知 out. I知 going to be using an iPhone 7 Plus that痴 going to be an unlocked phone from Rogers so I hope that phone has no issues here in Edmonton. The reps keep assuring me that the 7 Plus will have LTE no problem. I can only imagine the network is going to get better and better with time. Remember when Telus got into the cell phone business after they bought out Clearnet? Hopefully this works out to be the same.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    I think that is exactly what I will do. I just realized I have a friend who works at Freedom and she made the same suggestion. I知 honestly not a intensive cell phone user, I do most of my downloading at home on wifi (my Telus LTE at home stinks - 6-7mps download speed) so I mainly use it for steaming radio or podcasts when I知 out. I知 going to be using an iPhone 7 Plus that痴 going to be an unlocked phone from Rogers so I hope that phone has no issues here in Edmonton. The reps keep assuring me that the 7 Plus will have LTE no problem. I can only imagine the network is going to get better and better with time. Remember when Telus got into the cell phone business after they bought out Clearnet? Hopefully this works out to be the same.
    What? data on a big 3 carrier is not 250Mbps?

From what we hear around here, that's a first.

In band 66 areas, Freedom has consistently decent speeds.

Sent from my Moto X Play using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'騁onne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degr駸 te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Feedback Score
    Yep, sounds good. I知 curious to hear how this plays out for you in your area. So any success or failures would be great to hear.

I do remember when Telus and clearnet were a thing and when they merged, with part funding and ownership by Verizon. I don稚 think it値l be like that though, Shaw痴 very very disciplined to sell off assets that are failing or of no need to them. Freedom looks to be offsetting the revenue losses from they池e other growth challenged sections of the business though, we will see how the next 9 years play out I guess. Right now it feels like they池e just another incumbent with a ******** network which affords consumers the cheaper pricing right now.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    The 7plus does not have band 66 LTE so the internet may be a bit slower (20-30 Mbps instead of 80+)

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    What? data on a big 3 carrier is not 250Mbps?

From what we hear around here, that's a first.

In band 66 areas, Freedom has consistently decent speeds.

Sent from my Moto X Play using HoFo mobile app
    I had Telus LTE in Edmonton and my speeds sucked. The best I got was 50 Mbps and the average used to be 30 Mbps a couple of years ago - it came all the way down to around 11 Mbps and in the evening I would have to force 3G to browse anything since everyone and their grandma would be on LTE so it was slower than 3g. Rogers doesn't suffer this problem though so go figure

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    I had Telus LTE in Edmonton and my speeds sucked. The best I got was 50 Mbps and the average used to be 30 Mbps a couple of years ago - it came all the way down to around 11 Mbps and in the evening I would have to force 3G to browse anything since everyone and their grandma would be on LTE so it was slower than 3g. Rogers doesn't suffer this problem though so go figure

For a broader consensus: https://www.pcmag.com/article/348825...ks-canada-2017

Our Freedom results show that its owner, Shaw, still has some work to do. In Toronto, Freedom's 4G LTE network was 10 percent less reliable than Bell's. In Calgary, it was 20 percent less reliable. In Hamilton, it was 30 percent less reliable. Ouch. Most of the time, when our Freedom device fell off of LTE, it didn't lose signal entirely; it reverted to Wind's previous 3G network. But Canadians now expect nearly complete LTE coverage in major cities, and Freedom must deliver.
    Telus wsa the winner for fastest download speed, fasted average download speed, fastest average upload speed, and lowest average ping times.

Tests were conducted using the following methodology:
    we used custom field-test software designed by Ookla, the creator of Speedtest.net (Note: Ookla is owned by Ziff Davis, PCMag.com's parent company). The software was loaded onto Samsung Galaxy S8 phones, chosen because they're able to access new gigabit LTE networks at full speed.

The software runs tests every 90 seconds. We measured uploads and downloads, alternately to the nearest server in Ookla's network and to an Amazon Web Service instance in Toronto. The idea was to look at servers that consumers frequently connect to. Major edge providers like Amazon host many popular sites, while other sites are hosted by business ISPs that make up Ookla's server network.

We stopped at a range of locations within a metro area, for at least 15 minutes each. The number of locations varied by the population of the area: we made 10 stops in Quebec and Regina, for instance, but 20 in Montreal and Toronto.

This year, we decided to call out smaller cities and towns to test in, as well. We made one or two stops in towns such as Sackville, NB; Gander, NL; and Moose Jaw, SK.

Our national score is a population-weighted average based on 2016 census metropolitan area data from Statistics Canada. Results in larger cities, such as Toronto, received more weight in the final score than smaller cities, such as Halifax.

We tested mostly during business hours, from July 23 through August 22. We visited different cities on different days. We ended up with about 36,000 test runs, which we processed through a MySQL database and summarized on an Excel 2016 spreadsheet.
    Which seems pretty extensive and fair. soooooo again, YMMV?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast