Thread: What is better for building penetration LTE or Talk and Text?

Feedback Score

What is better for building penetration LTE or Talk and Text?

Which frequencies used by Verizon penetrate buildings better, the ones used for LTE or the ones used for Talk and Text? And how much of a difference is there?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO!!! View Post
    Which frequencies used by Verizon penetrate buildings better, the ones used for LTE or the ones used for Talk and Text? And how much of a difference is there?
    The same frequencies are used. Talk and text is default VoLTE. 1X can be on the same frequencies, except for their 700 mhz holdings.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    The same frequencies are used. Talk and text is default VoLTE. 1X can be on the same frequencies, except for their 700 mhz holdings.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app
    So its literally the same?
    I am now always using VOLTE with even brands like Rok or any other Verizon MVNO?
    Is the speed and Ping that they use for TT better than what they give for LTE data?
    I have this feeling that TT will be more clear and stable than using Hangout, but is that just because it is hangout or is it because the data connection for TT is better?

And if you say that TT has the 700 mhz, then it should be a great boon for buildings.

Feedback Score

I am not sure if I would compare LTE with Talk and Text as your question states.Talk and Text has always worked no matter what technology you are on.
    I think what you mean by the terminology is:
    Talk and Text = 1xrtt CDMA
    LTE = VolTE

CDMA, 1xrtt and 3G EVDO were the earlier forms of talk text and data and often ran on 800 MHz as the lowest frequency.
    1xrtt was very reliable and the building penetration is great. Just the sound quality is poor and you could not do simultaneous Voice and Data.

Nowadays, Verizon uses VolTE to carry Voice and Text over LTE Data. VolTE is basically VoIP running on cellular data. It can use any frequency, but the lowest is 700mhz.

I would say that VolTE building penetration on 700mhz is very similar to 1xrtt penetration.
    I think any difference is now negligible ( it was bad a lot of places at first) and Verizon will try to densify to resolve.
    It is time to think of sunsetting CDMA as soon as all the improvements and densification is completed.

Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon runs CDMA (talk and text, 3G data) at 800mhz and 1900mhz. They don't have 800mhz everywhere (especially in the south).

Verizon runs LTE (VoLTE talk and text, 4G data) at 700mhz, 800mhz, 1700/2100 mhz, and 1900mhz (ie, bands 13, 5, 4/66, 2).
    renew orleans

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    A text is always better than a voice call. You only need a momentary connection for a text.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

At times I turn off the lte on my iphone and get better signal. The calls sound ok. Cant talk and web same time but dont need to. I know based on my experience that lte is nowhere as far teaching as cdma. Wireless has became about connecting to web, not about making phone calls.

Feedback Score
    So guys, what is your say?
    If you had to choose one tech for making calls, would ypu choose LTE and use voip like with hangout and whatsapp or would you prefer to use cdma?

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I would choose LTE and use VoLTE built into the phone, and not any 3rd party apps. That's my strong preference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I would choose LTE and use VoLTE built into the phone, and not any 3rd party apps. That's my strong preference.
    First, the volte of the phone will be using voip?
    Second, if I am using a verizon MVNO will I be able to use volte? Currently I am using Rok Mobile on a verizon note 3, and I do not see where to choose volte. Maybe I am missing it ir maybe mvnos do not allow it, or maybe this mvno does not allow it.

Also volte uses data for the call, but the carrier counts it as minutes and not data, correct?

Also, it seems to be that you feel that lte will give you better indoors reception and better reliability, is that correct?

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Second, if I am using a verizon MVNO will I be able to use volte? Currently I am using Rok Mobile on a verizon note 3, and I do not see where to choose volte. Maybe I am missing it ir maybe mvnos do not allow it, or maybe this mvno does not allow it.

Also volte uses data for the call, but the carrier counts it as minutes and not data, correct?

Also, it seems to be that you feel that lte will give you better indoors reception and better reliability, is that correct?
    Yes, it is still voip. But it's heavily informed by QOS so reliability is very high. I'm not sure if it's available on all MVNOs. My wifi signal is very strong, but there is no QOS on it. So I do feel VoLTE is overall more reliable for me.

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

I don't think the Verizon note 3 ever got volte support. Someone else may know for sure if it received it in a later ota update, but it didn't have it when launched.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    I don't think the Verizon note 3 ever got volte support. Someone else may know for sure if it received it in a later ota update, but it didn't have it when launched.
    And if the verizon note 3 never gotnVOLTE support, then, will you still choose hangout/whatsapp calling vs conventional cdma calling?

Feedback Score
    CDMA 1x running on 850mhz wins every time no matter how many LTE sites Verizon puts up. This is why Verizon moved their shutdown date from 2019 to 2021. Anyone that travels or camps appreciates this.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    CDMA 1x running on 850mhz wins every time no matter how many LTE sites Verizon puts up. This is why Verizon moved their shutdown date from 2019 to 2021. Anyone that travels or camps appreciates this.
    Funny because I definitely lose 1x850 service while maintaining LTE in various places.