Thread: iPhone X - Traveling To Paris - Set Enable LTE to "Voice & Data" or "Data Only"?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

iPhone X - Traveling To Paris - Set Enable LTE to "Voice & Data" or "Data Only"?

Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE:

1. Off
    2. Voice & Data
    3. Data Only

Those are the 3 choices on the iPhone for AT&T connectivity. While in Hong Kong on my iPhone 6 last month I had my phone set for LTE to "Voice & Data" but upon arrival Data was great but I could not make/receive any phone calls. ATT tech support told me I had to switch the phone manually to "Data Only" which would force 3G for phone calls. From that point forward, calls got through just fine, Data was high speed LTE.

Now I've just got an iPhone X and I'm going to Paris. Can I keep the phone on "Voice & Data"? Is there some reason why I would force it to "Data Only" Why doesn't the iPhone automatically switch to 4G or 3G once it tries to find LTE for voice and fails? Or is that the behavior and I merely had a bad iPhone 6 and now the new X will handle this transition if it cannot connect to LTE?

Any help appreciated.

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
    Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE:

1. Off
    2. Voice & Data
    3. Data Only

Those are the 3 choices on the iPhone for AT&T connectivity. While in Hong Kong on my iPhone 6 last month I had my phone set for LTE to "Voice & Data" but upon arrival Data was great but I could not make/receive any phone calls. ATT tech support told me I had to switch the phone manually to "Data Only" which would force 3G for phone calls. From that point forward, calls got through just fine, Data was high speed LTE.

Now I've just got an iPhone X and I'm going to Paris. Can I keep the phone on "Voice & Data"? Is there some reason why I would force it to "Data Only" Why doesn't the iPhone automatically switch to 4G or 3G once it tries to find LTE for voice and fails? Or is that the behavior and I merely had a bad iPhone 6 and now the new X will handle this transition if it cannot connect to LTE?

Any help appreciated.
    The Voice and data setting should work. The phone should hand the call down to 3G in both modes. If it doesn’t work set it to data only. I’m surprised your 6 was having issues on the voice and data setting.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone X using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Try it and see. Normally the phone will automatically fall back to 3G/Faux G for voice calls when roaming internationally. Not sure why they don't have VoLTE international roaming, they must just not have set it up yet.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Try it and see. Normally the phone will automatically fall back to 3G/Faux G for voice calls when roaming internationally. Not sure why they don't have VoLTE international roaming, they must just not have set it up yet.
    They do have volte roaming but it’s in very few countries that I know of: Japan comes to mind.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    They do have volte roaming but it’s in very few countries that I know of: Japan comes to mind.
    Interesting. It didn't work for me in Canada, which is weird, you'd think of all places, they'd have it in Canada. Not a big deal practically speaking, just weird to kick back to 3G for voice when Rogers has a very dense B7 LTE network in Ottawa where I was.

Feedback Score
    AT&T has VoLTE roaming with a couple of Asian carriers in South Korea, Japan and Hong Kong running on a Huawei RAN which may have had bugs with AT&T's Ericsson RAN. So far no VoLTE roaming in Europe so LTE Voice & Data should default back to UMTS for voice roaming. If you have problems turn it back to Voice only which removes VoLTE roaming.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thank you all. I'll let you know how it goes when I land.