Thread: Does a Straight Talk Galaxy S7 work on Cricket out of the box?

Feedback Score

Does a Straight Talk Galaxy S7 work on Cricket out of the box?

I am looking for a phone that works on Cricket out of the box, now walmart has the Straight Talk Galaxy S7 for $299, now the question is, will it work for Cricket service out of the box? or do I need to unlock it? thanks in advance

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    cricKet
    Feedback Score
    Nope. ST ONLY work with ST SIM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teKcirc View Post
    Nope. ST ONLY work with ST SIM
    Thanks for the info

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Gonzalez View Post
    I am looking for a phone that works on Cricket out of the box, now walmart has the Straight Talk Galaxy S7 for $299, now the question is, will it work for Cricket service out of the box? or do I need to unlock it? thanks in advance
    Plus it's a Verizon based phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Gonzalez View Post
    Thanks for the info
    They also work with other TracFone branded sims, as long as they're VZW based.

Feedback Score
    I think ST requires 12 months of service before they will unlock. And even then you would need to make sure the phone has the correct bands to work on cricket based on the exact model number of the device.

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile (CDMA)
    Feedback Score
    Yes it is possible! I am not sure why every one here is saying it is not.

First to say, ALL s7 phones from any US carrier is the same. Not a single thing different hardware wise at all! It's only software . This is also the case with the s7 edge phones.

Being as this phone is a verizon phone on straight talk, im assuming the model number is g930v right?

Easy enough you can hook your phone up to your computer and download either the g930a (att firmware) or g930u (unlocked firmware). It WILL work on your phone. My phone is a Sprint variant s7e that I flashed the unlocked firmware on.

Once you have either the ATT or Unlocked firmware (How to are available on XDA), you will be able to put a cricket simcard in your "straight talk verizon" phone and use it as if it's a normal cricket phone.

Also, you might even be able to find a cricket FW for the s7 since they have released that phone as well.

I've done this, multiple times and it just takes some little bit of work and little bit of time. Best of all it's FREE!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    cricKet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by symbiance View Post

First to say, ALL s7 phones from any US carrier is the same. Not a single thing different hardware wise at all! It's only software . This is also the case with the s7 edge phones.

Being as this phone is a verizon phone on straight talk, im assuming the model number is g930v right?

Easy enough you can hook your phone up to your computer and download either the g930a (att firmware) or g930u (unlocked firmware). It WILL work on your phone. My phone is a Sprint variant s7e that I flashed the unlocked firmware on.

Once you have either the ATT or Unlocked firmware (How to are available on XDA), you will be able to put a cricket simcard in your "straight talk verizon" phone and use it as if it's a normal cricket phone.

Also, you might even be able to find a cricket FW for the s7 since they have released that phone as well.

I've done this, multiple times and it just takes some little bit of work and little bit of time. Best of all it's FREE!
    Read the OP again to see what he is asking

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by symbiance View Post

This is true but the sim needs to be unlocked also. ST won't do that unless you have 12 months of paid service. Also, who knows if ST locked down the bootloader too making it not possible to flash the phone. Verizon version is sim and bootloader unlocked I believe.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    cricKet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
    This is true but the sim needs to be unlocked also. ST won't do that unless you have 12 months of paid service. Also, who knows if ST locked down the bootloader too making it not possible to flash the phone. Verizon version is sim and bootloader unlocked I believe.
    Verizon phone and TracFone on Verizon network are two different animal. I agree with you, flashing the unlocked firmware or ATT firmware doesn't unlock ST phone (or any locked phone)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
    You don't need an unlocked bootloader to flash Samsung firmware to a Samsung device via Odin. Samsung only made one version of the Qualcomm s7. The only difference between each carrier variant is the firmware running on it. The firmware itself can lock out bands, lock bout menus, and so on. As long as the bootloader's match up, the firmware will flash, but the sim slot will still be locked. Flashing firmware doesn't unlock the device for other carriers, it just unlocks the firmware to be able to be used on other carriers.