Feedback Score

Best Buy universal iPhone X mislead as unlocked

By now most people know Best Buy charged a $100 premium over MSRP to offer unlocked iPhones. This price gouge did not go over well and they immediately stopped selling this way. Well I recently discovered they were never actually provided special phones designated for this purpose. They merely aloud buyers to purchase Verizon designated phones and let it out of the store as an un-activated device. Without proper disclosure to buyers, they created a new market segment of problems with their “universal” model.

Without Best Buy’s disclosure I just learned the hard way that I was misled. You see what they are selling must first be activated using any USA SIM but will actually LOCK to that provider.

In my case I put my Cricket Wireless SIM into my new iPhone X which activated the iPhone X for its first time and without knowing my phone became locked to Cricket. Now here’s where the problem begins - Cricket representatives consider my device as a “bring your own device” and they cannot provide the unlock for it. After researching online I learned I’m not alone with this problem. In fact there are tons of unhappy iPhone users complaining about the same problem - that their “unlocked” iPhone became mysteriously locked. Because Best Buy led buyers to believe they were buying unlocked iPhones, many international buyers were disappointed when they got to back to their country and could not simply insert their home SIM. And as in my case, many buyers iPhones became locked to service providers that do not intend to lock a “bring your own device” but by design the phone locks to the first SIM. And these providers cannot provide the unlock. But the common denominator here for EVERY SINGLE one of these cases, the phone was purchased from Best Buy. It’s now become pretty obvious Best Buy is the culprit.

People, including myself, have gone in circles to correct this but no one takes ownership of the problem. Cricket didn’t expect to lock it because no end user should ever hold an un-actived iPhone. Verizon has nothing to do with it even though it was originally designated as a Verizon device. Although Apple controls the unlocking servers they have nothing to do with it because locks are a function of the service provider industry. Best Buy now claims they sold a “Universal” model iPhone not an unlocked one.

It’s so clear Best Buy is totally at fault by marketing an iPhone model that doesn’t exist. They is no “Universal” iPhone sold by Apple. This is something Best Buy created by simply selling Verizon iPhones and letting buyers walk out with it in-activated. Best Buy created this problem.

Now because Best Buy is an actual Apple dealer and also a “reputable” company, and not an aftermarket reseller, it’s easy to trust your iPhone purchase as legitimate. But it’s not no mater how Best Buy attempts to justify this mess. They thought they were so smart charging a premium for a product of which there is demand. But demand is for an unlocked iPhone not one that becomes locked on the first SIM. They used their trust as a legitimate storefront to mislead consumers. I’m going to contact their corporate office tomorrow to request an exception to return my device since I’m just a few days over the 14-day return policy. Although I know they know what they did, I expect trouble based on how they responded to the price gouge backlash. If they go that route I am prepared to become the lead for a class-action suit against Best Buy for their deceptive practice, which also violates their Agreements with Verizon and most likely violates multiple Agreement terms with Apple who dictates their MSRP and standardized use for their products.

Feedback Score
    False. I bought the X Verizon from bestbuy. Bestbuy sold it as a Verizon phone. It was not sold as sim free Unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phone
    Gold iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon variant)
    Carrier
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score

Best Buy universal iPhone X mislead as unlocked

I know this problem last year from this forum, you need Verizon sim to activate Best Buy Iphone to get it activated on Verizon to become permanently unlocked, only Verizon sim as the very first sim to go in on that Best Buy Iphone. I know they don’t tell people about that !
    Also you can buy IPhone X on Apple store App now, pick Verizon variant and pick activation later which will add phone to your bag for checkout. You don’t need to put info about Verizon account. All full priced paid Verizon variant is Unlicked from factory and can be used with any sim. ( no locking BS like Best Buy).
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1511871785.596938.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  42.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1511871799.644561.jpg
Size:  30.1 KB
    I know this gonna be a problem for people buying Best Buy phone without knowing proper procedure to get it unlocked permanently from beginning. I hope they allow you to get refund. Best of luck sir.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtr999 View Post
    I know this problem last year from this forum, you need Verizon sim to activate Best Buy Iphone to get it activated on Verizon to become permanently unlocked, only Verizon sim as the very first sim to go in on that Best Buy Iphone. I know they don’t tell people about that !
    Also you can buy IPhone X on Apple store App now, pick Verizon variant and pick activation later which will add phone to your bag for checkout. You don’t need to put info about Verizon account. All full priced paid Verizon variant is Unlicked from factory and can be used with any sim. ( no locking BS like Best Buy).
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1511871785.596938.jpg
Size:  42.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1511871799.644561.jpg
Size:  30.1 KB
    I know this gonna be a problem for people buying Best Buy phone without knowing proper procedure to get it unlocked permanently from beginning. I hope they allow you to get refund. Best of luck sir.
    They won’t refund him unless someone lied to him. If they advertised a Verizon phone and that’s what he got it’s not their problem. He should sell the phone and accept the loss as a lesson learned.

Feedback Score
    You buy from Apple direct if you want unlocked. This is not new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Menel View Post
    You buy from Apple direct if you want unlocked. This is not new.

I bought from Best Buy, no issues.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    I bought from Best Buy, no issues.

I bought from Apple with no issues.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Phone
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If I had known that apple.com had changed their policy to not require verizon carrier information, I would have just done that myself. I had decided to change to ATT at the end of this month, but didn't want to get the non CDMA phone in case I changed my mind again.

So I bought through Best Buy and got ATT SIM with device payments scheduled. I figure I'll just unlock it when paid off, no problem.

I didn't have a post paid Verizon SIM to unlock the phone before inserting the ATT SIM (I didn't want to risk what might happen if I used my current Verizon prepaid SIM).
    I gave into temptation, and bought the iPhone X, even though I had a perfectly good, though oversized, 7+.

Phone
    Carrier
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score
    Can you borrow Friend Verizon sim to activate ? It doesn’t have to be active but it has to be postpaid that what I was told. Not to spoil this but a few years ago iPhone 6 and 6 plus bought from Best Best had issues of relocking again after unlocked. It seems like whatever 1st sim you put in it will forever stay or lock to that carrier. That is reason why I never want to buy from Best Buy besides being gouged. Only buy from Apple either store directly or Apple App.

Carrier
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    The BB and Target phones are sold with Apple's USA FLEX policy, which means that they don't have SIMs already inside the box and the same device can INITIALLY be activated on any carrier -- but the phone will adopt whatever carrier's SIM is inserted for the first activation. This avoids the store having to carry multiple carrier versions of the same device.

So the recommendations above to first activate with a Verizon postpaid SIM would have the phone permanently unlocked since it would adopt the Verizon postpaid policy of being fully unlocked. UNFORUNTATELY, Best Buy didn't make that known to customers.

If Best Buy won't exchange the phone, then the next option is to call AppleCare. I read somewhere else just recently that AppleCare would unlock the phone with proof of purchase at full retail, which is apparently a new policy for them. I can't personally vouch for whether this is true or not, but calling Apple would be my next step if faced with this situation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    So I bought through Best Buy and got ATT SIM with device payments scheduled. I figure I'll just unlock it when paid off, no problem.
    After paying off the balance, I have unlocked Best Buy iPhones locked to AT&T through the website and received the same day confirmation of the unlock being completed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    The BB and Target phones are sold with Apple's USA FLEX policy, which means that they don't have SIMs already inside the box and the same device can INITIALLY be activated on any carrier -- but the phone will adopt whatever carrier's SIM is inserted for the first activation. This avoids the store having to carry multiple carrier versions of the same device.

So the recommendations above to first activate with a Verizon postpaid SIM would have the phone permanently unlocked since it would adopt the Verizon postpaid policy of being fully unlocked. UNFORUNTATELY, Best Buy didn't make that known to customers.

If Best Buy won't exchange the phone, then the next option is to call AppleCare. I read somewhere else just recently that AppleCare would unlock the phone with proof of purchase at full retail, which is apparently a new policy for them. I can't personally vouch for whether this is true or not, but calling Apple would be my next step if faced with this situation.
    Thank you clarifying.
    Blows my mind how complex selling phones has become. Its totally silly. All the weird contractual nuances.

Phone
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    After paying off the balance, I have unlocked Best Buy iPhones locked to AT&T through the website and received the same day confirmation of the unlock being completed.
    That is what I assumed. Since I bought the phone on the ATT Device payment plan, ATT knows all about it too. Some of the problems reported above are people buying the phone outright, then inserting some other SIM, such as a prepaid one in it, messing things up since the prepaid carrier knows nothing about it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtr999 View Post
    Can you borrow Friend Verizon sim to activate ? It doesn’t have to be active but it has to be postpaid that what I was told. Not to spoil this but a few years ago iPhone 6 and 6 plus bought from Best Best had issues of relocking again after unlocked. It seems like whatever 1st sim you put in it will forever stay or lock to that carrier. That is reason why I never want to buy from Best Buy besides being gouged. Only buy from Apple either store directly or Apple App.
    And one of the reasons why I left Apple after that fiasco. Their control and "don't give a rat's" attitude is telling of a very greedy company. Much happier on the Android side without all the constant problems with iPhone.

Phone
    Carrier
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score
    You can buy iPhone X Sim Free variant now on Apple Store app !! This one 199% unlocked from factory without fiddling with whatever Best Buy doing Lol
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1512570166.967813.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  38.8 KB