Thread: Good marks for Verizon and AT&T, but there's room for improvement on big red

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Good marks for Verizon and AT&T, but there's room for improvement on big red

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20171122...rips-mind-tag6

TL;DR, AT&T and Verizon tested the fastest on a 3rd party 52,000 mile drive test focusing on highways and major roads around the country. CA was available about 33% of the time on both carriers. 256QAM did less well, with 3% on AT&T and about 1% on all the others. Verizon had faster uploads than AT&T, but AT&T had faster downloads.

Call reliability was about 97% for both carriers, and significantly lower on the other two carriers. Both Verizon and AT&T successfully completed data tasks 99% of the time. There are many other interesting tidbits in the article. I'm glad a 3rd party is out doing some testing on roadways, rather than just larger cities.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    They need to test the smaller highways and less travelled areas thru backcountry America. if they did AT&T would come out the big loser. This is where Verizon shines and lots of those less travelled areas have fast LTE as well.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I agree. I would love to see more rural and small road testing. At least this test is a step in the right direction. It's always been relatively uninteresting to me to see how good of an LTE speed you can get in a major metro area when you're already able to access wifi most of the time. I'd rather see tests like this that focus on the LTE network when it's your only option.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus QCOM, SM-G950U1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Verizon needs to upgrade areas in the Midwest/South, which is AT&T territory. Specifically Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri and Kansas. Suffering horribly.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    Verizon needs to upgrade areas in the Midwest/South, which is AT&T territory. Specifically Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri and Kansas. Suffering horribly.
    Actually, there was a thread here not more than a few days ago about a guy getting blistering speeds in KC. It's a market by market thing.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    Actually, there was a thread here not more than a few days ago about a guy getting blistering speeds in KC. It's a market by market thing.
    Yes, that guy was me. I’m talking about rural areas, not in large urban cities.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yes, that guy was me. I’m talking about rural areas, not in large urban cities.
    Haha. Gotcha. I'm definitely not intending to start a pissing match at all. No hatred for AT&T here. Quite the opposite, and that was the point of the article. There are two companies doing it mostly right, these days. At least if you care about having coverage most places in the country.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Haha. Gotcha. I'm definitely not intending to start a pissing match at all. No hatred for AT&T here. Quite the opposite, and that was the point of the article. There are two companies doing it mostly right, these days. At least if you care about having coverage most places in the country.
    I see. Definitely not my intention, either. I’m glad there are two great companies serving the US.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Good marks for Verizon and AT&T, but there's room for improvement on big red

Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    They need to test the smaller highways and less travelled areas thru backcountry America. if they did AT&T would come out the big loser. This is where Verizon shines and lots of those less travelled areas have fast LTE as well.
    Absolutely! There's FAR more road to travel than just Interstates. Whenever I traveled to Colorado half of the drive was US Highways where AT&T was inconsistent at best, roaming or no service at worst. Verizon managed to hold LTE from home to the Colorado border, only getting weak in eastern CO but still held onto service.

I agree. I would love to see more rural and small road testing. At least this test is a step in the right direction. It's always been relatively uninteresting to me to see how good of an LTE speed you can get in a major metro area when you're already able to access wifi most of the time. I'd rather see tests like this that focus on the LTE network when it's your only option.
    Testing US Highways would be good enough for me, there are still many that are the only main artery across various portions of the country.

AT&T fails a lot along Rt. 36 across Missouri and craps out like clockwork every 10 miles or so along I-70 starting just west of Salina all the way to the CO border.

Feedback Score
    That’s why I use Verizon where I travel and AT&T as my backup. Both are great in many areas

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    It depends on the market. Six of one, half a dozen of another.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Out here in rural Berks County, PA, AT&T doesn’t come close to matching the coverage Verizon provides. AT&T was faster here when I had it, but most back roads didn’t see much AT&T coverage.