Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop sim cards for the 200 free monthly WIFI minutes - how best to rotate them

Feedback Score

FreedomPop sim cards for the 200 free monthly WIFI minutes - how best to rotate them

I have many sims that I ordered through FreedomPop for the free 200 WIFI minutes monthly. When I swap sim cards, it doesnt seem to have any effect. Do I need to register each sim card under a separate email address on the FP website? I ordered them under different names and credit card numbers.

How can I rotate through my sim cards to get 200 WIFI minutes on each one monthly? Since I'm on the free plan, FP provides no support and the FAQ is inadequate. Can each account be attached to the same credit card or do they need to be hooked to different credit cards?

When one attaches the sim card to a specific FP phone #, will it then always stay associated with that FP no matter which Sprint compatible phone its put into? Or does the sim card need to go into the phone matching its IMEI #?

For the extra FP sims, how often do they need to be used after they are activated, before the phone number is voided for inactivity?

Feedback Score
    I'm confused.
    Do you have FP LTE sim or the FP Sprint sim? Seems like you've ordered LTE sim. LTE sim is on the AT&T network and doesn't work on Sprint phones unless the Sprint phone is unlocked and support the necessary bands. Sprint sims, when active, are tied to the phone, so you can't switch. FP phone numbers are associated with the sim. LTE sims can be swapped on any AT&T compatible phone.

You need the Freedompop app to make calls with your Freedompop number. When you swap sims, you will need to logout of the FP app and log in with the account of the new sim to use the minutes bucket of the new number. I think it is better to use separate email accounts for each sim, so you can friend yourself to get extra 50MB data/friend.

You can use a single credit card for multiple accounts, but there may be a limit. I'm not sure. Not sure how long your phone can be inactive before they suspend. May be 60 days. Seems to vary for different users.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    What are FreedomPop "WIFI minutes"?

If you're using WiFi for phone calls, maybe you should switch to a Google Voice #, so you don't have to use multiple phone #s, which is what you have with multiple FP SIMs.

Feedback Score
    He means that FP gives you 200 minutes of talk monthly using their VoIP app.

OP, you should install Google Hangouts as Boz1 suggested. Then you can make unlimited calls over WiFi. You wouldn't even need FreedomPop.

And Google Hangouts can make calls over FreedomPop 3G/4G data as well. It will use about 6MB of your free data per 10 minutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysbca View Post
    I'm confused.
    Do you have FP LTE sim or the FP Sprint sim? Seems like you've ordered LTE sim. LTE sim is on the AT&T network and doesn't work on Sprint phones unless the Sprint phone is unlocked and support the necessary bands. Sprint sims, when active, are tied to the phone, so you can't switch. FP phone numbers are associated with the sim. LTE sims can be swapped on any AT&T compatible phone.

You need the Freedompop app to make calls with your Freedompop number. When you swap sims, you will need to logout of the FP app and log in with the account of the new sim to use the minutes bucket of the new number. I think it is better to use separate email accounts for each sim, so you can friend yourself to get extra 50MB data/friend.

You can use a single credit card for multiple accounts, but there may be a limit. I'm not sure. Not sure how long your phone can be inactive before they suspend. May be 60 days. Seems to vary for different users.
    I'm not for sure what I have, but all the FP Sims are 200 wifi calling minutes per month. On my phones, in the FreedomPop app, some say "Basic 200" while others say "Basic LTE 200." So does that mean some are LTE and some are not? Each are in Sprint compatible phones that were on RingPlus before they automoved to Ting. I only want to use completely FREE monthly plans. I know I COULD use Google for a single phone, but I actually WANT various area codes since I travel and do business in various states. I prefer to use a local phone # for the state in which Im doing business while there. Also, I am concerned about Google having too much information, loss of privacy, so would prefer to avoid Google Voice.

When FP sent me the sim, they sent 2 sims for each sim order I placed with no instructions. I have about 10 FP sims. It's also a bit of a hassle to open up the phone to rotate the sim cards. Maybe I need a different and better solution.

I loved how RingPlus gave me 1100 mins/text each month for multiple phones, but that deal was too good to be true, as in the business model didnt allow them to make enough money to provide the service. As you may know, they went out of business earlier this year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    ...All FP SIMs now use AT&T LTE for VoIP....
    Yes, but there is still Freedompop service using Sprint and Sprint phones. You need the Sprint SIM for them. I have one of my old Ringplus phones on FP-Sprint. It works fine.

OP, what phones do you have. We can help figure out what is compatible with what.

If you look at your FP account(s), you can tell what kind of SIM it is. Sprint will say [brandname] Smartphone. Global GSM says Global in the plan type. LTE will say LTE in the plan type.

FP as a free service is also collecting and selling your info. With pretty much anything that is free you are not the customer. You are the product.

Feedback Score
    You have FP SIMs that only work in AT&T or unlocked GSM phones. They don't work in Sprint phones, unless you have a "universal" phone that's compatible with every US carrier, which doesn't sound like it.

All FP SIMs now use AT&T LTE for VoIP.

I'm curious what kind of business you're in that requires multiple local, throwaway numbers, especially one where you rely on free (read: unreliable) VoIP for your business communication. Probably better not to ask.

>I have about 10 FP sims. It's also a bit of a hassle to open up the phone to rotate the sim cards.

Since you have the wrong phones anyway, sounds like you're in the market for new phones. If so, pay attention to ease of SIM removal/insertion as a buying criterion. I did.

BTW, suggest a spreadsheet.

>how best to rotate them
    |When you swap sims, you will need to logout of the FP app and log in with the account of the new sim

AFAIK, the FP app binds itself to the first SIM it sees, and ignores any subsequent SIM. You have to uninstall/reinstall to get it to see new SIM. But it has been a while since I last installed FP app, so maybe the above response is now correct.

>As you may know, they went out of business earlier this year.

RingPlus was never in business. Karl CEO dude made a pitch to Sprint and got it to foot the bill for the freebies. When Sprint stopped, so did R+. A good thing, because the Sprint freebie now is much better and cheaper than R+ ever was.
    My business is real estate. If you call with an area code out of area, they are less likely to pick up. So its very helpful to have a "local" phone number. There is no crime in doing that. Its just smart business.

The phones are LG Tribute2, not Sprint logo on them, for use on the Sprint network. I had them on RingPlus for 2 years through the Sprint network. The FreedomPop sim cards are in and they are working, so not sure why you say I need to get an AT&T network phone.

As for easy sim insertion, what phones do you recommend? Even better would be a easy insert phone that holds a dual sim. When travelling, I carry 8 phones to where Im going. If dual sim then I could carry 4 instead. I also have some phones on other carriers, so that wherever I go, I am more likely to be able to get a signal, since some use Sprint towers, some ATT, some TMobile. I dont want to be paying 8 x $50/month per line or $400/mo, so while my solution isn't idea, it's very budget friendly to have so many lines for less than $40/year for ALL these lines.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by csph View Post
    My business is real estate. If you call with an area code out of area, they are less likely to pick up. So its very helpful to have a "local" phone number. There is no crime in doing that. Its just smart business.
    You definitely need a less cumbersome solution for your needs. Here's a suggestion:

Use FreedomPop LTE SIMs for their free data only. Swap them out as necessary. Make sure you're using a compatible phone that makes it easy to swap the SIM in and out. I would suggest a nice refurbed iPhone SE. Be sure to bookmark http://www.freedompop.com/iosapn to get the LTE SIM configuration profile so data will work. Download an app to monitor data usage. You can also use the built-in monitor in Settings (though to me, if seems to always be a bit off). Disable data on all apps that tend to seep usage.

Use an app that allows you to buy and use multiple local numbers simultaneously. I would suggest Burner, I like them. You can even get local numbers in Canada. Set your local numbers to auto-renew or just keep sufficient credits in your account to cover your renewals. Use Burner to dial-out. I believe incoming calls are now integrated into the iOS dialer, so even though your calls come through your Burner number(s), they look like regular iPhone calls.

Feedback Score
    ...OK ya got me believing in miracles. So I went and put FP AT&T SIM into a Tribute HD--yep, it's a RingPlus refugee. Nope, no divine intervention today. No cell signal, and "4G Settings" and "Network mode" are grayed out.

I'm with mysbca. Confused.
    Maybe it works on Wifi. If you put the FP Messaging app on a phone with no SIM it will work with Wifi for the VOIP data.

Edit: Yeah what anthony said. You can do same with multiple Google Voice accounts registered into the same phone.
    Sideline might also work. I don't know if they allow multiple phone numbers on one phone. I sort of recall that they do.

Feedback Score
    For example, if you are trying to buy property, driving by, you want the person to pick up while you are there to save time, gas, etc. With so many robocalls coming from outside the area, local calls get picked up much more often. In the past, using a non-local area code, I tried it the previous way and the ones that would answer would often assume that I wasnt local, when I would be on the street looking at the sign! Not everyone who has many lines is using them for nefarious purposes, so the negative assumptions are off base. I dont use these for burner phones. I want to keep the numbers, but not have to pay $50/month per line. After I engage the client and they know Im real I can give them my other primary number.

Yes, for the FP lines I get 200 minutes/month through wifi and yes the calls are through the FP app. Why would I need a monitoring app since FP app shows how many minutes you have left and how many days you have left. I ordered the sim cards from FP a few months ago for, I think, 99c each. I dont think it can be used as a regular cell phone, but instead only when connected through a WIFI connection. Im not spoofing CID, dont even know how to do that and wouldnt want to do that. I dont want to hide my number. I just want to have a local one so Im not discriminated against for the perception that Im not in the area when I am in the area. So when Im calling out, I want to use and for them to see my local number. It gets better results for them picking up the phone. Its better for both them and me. I thought it was common knowledge that many people dont answer out of area phone numbers since they are often spammers, such as selling timeshares, debt consolidation, etc.

How much does Burner cost? Why would that be better than what I get now free at FP?

I heard Blu has a line of mostly dual sim phones but I havent tried them yet. That might be a good solution for cutting down the phones I carry when I travel by 50%

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles I have never needed to reinstall the FreedomPop App

>how best to rotate them
    |When you swap sims, you will need to logout of the FP app and log in with the account of the new sim

AFAIK, the FP app binds itself to the first SIM it sees, and ignores any subsequent SIM. You have to uninstall/reinstall to get it to see new SIM. But it has been a while since I last installed FP app, so maybe the above response is now correct.
    I have never needed to reinstall the FreedomPop App {the Messaging App} to get a new SIM recognized. I am not sure you can even log into the App.
    It recognizes the current SIM. [Sometime it takes time to switch to the new SIM.]

This also happened when I switched a Global SIM with an LTE SIM. Same pattern.
    I have two ZTE Maven 3s where the above has happened.
    I also have two BLU R1 HDs which are dual SIM.
    If there is only one SIM the App will find it and use that SIMs number.
    If there are two SIMs in the SIM in slot one will [eventually] become the SIM of choice for the app.
    I have not found a way to choose which SIM's phone number will prevail by software means.

There is also a MyFreedomPop app which you can and must log into to use. It can log into any of your accounts from any SIM.

Feedback Score
    >if you are trying to buy property, driving by, you want the person to pick up while you are there to save time, gas, etc.

Still curious! How the heck do you find the homeowner's phone number to call him? The reverse lookups I've tried all suck, at least from my 5-min foray. Do you subscribe to a paid lookup, and is it any good?

No matter how you try to justify them, cold calls are by definition unsolicited and intrusive, be they from a drive-by or in a boiler room. They may not be illegal or "nefarious," but they are frowned upon by most. Dropping a postcard into the mailbox is a much more acceptable method. Far be it from me to tell you how to run your biz, but don't ever call me.

Oh, and BTW, don't call me. [Yes I'm cribbing from Snowy hahah! ]

Feedback Score
    The have signs out front with their phone number, which is basically an invitation to be called. Id rather the focus not be on my reasoning or business, but instead on solving the issue of utilizing the sims. A postcard in the mail would be more unproductive and a waste of time, especially since Im right there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by csph View Post
    How much does Burner cost? Why would that be better than what I get now free at FP?
    I took a quick look in the Burner app. Since you're in real estate you'd probably want a number where you can send and receive picture messages as well as texts and phone calls. That looks like about 5 bucks a month per number. They also sell packages of 3 lines at a discount. Download the app for details. You can see pricing without making any purchases.

Why is it better? You need multiple numbers. Check.
    You would probably like to be able to have anyone ring you on those various numbers at any time and be notified immediately you have calls or texts. Check.
    You may find the need to create new local numbers on the fly. Who knows? Check.
    With just those things, how is FreedomPop a less-friendly option for you? You need multiple numbers. That means multiple SIMs, and always swapping them in and out to check. Maybe.
    Reachability. If your SIM runs out of the 200mb free data, your reachability is gone until your next plan month.
    New local numbers on the fly. Days of waiting for new SIMs to arrive.

FreedomPop LTE SIMs are good for one thing and one thing only: free data. Everything else about it is a hassle, man.

Feedback Score
    ...No matter how you try to justify them, cold calls are by definition unsolicited and intrusive,...
    It's not a cold call if the number is in a real estate listing or on a for sale sign. People selling things that list their number by definition want to be called about buying what they are selling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast