Thread: How far does band 4 usually reach? trying to find tower location

Feedback Score

How far does band 4 usually reach? trying to find tower location

its been around a month since I got the nighthawk LTE router and I am loving it now, pushed just 300GB these last 15 days, Heavy month since I got a Xbox one for blackfriday and purchased several games that downloaded overnight

Anyways I get a -110 signal with fair connection on band 4, latency is around 30-40ms and is very stable
    online gaming works extremely well did not think cellular would do so good in online gaming

(Technology has come a far way)

I am trying to find the tower location to aim and get the best signal while on band 4, knowing the relative distance would help a bit in pin-pointing this.

Thanks guys

Feedback Score
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm planning to get a Nighthawk myself. Could you tell me what your average upload/download speeds are at at -110?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    All bands have about the same unobstructed ranges for a given power level. The inverse square law applies. The power is inversely proportional to the square of the distance. So when you double the distance the power drops to one-fourth of that of the shorter distance. That law is not influenced by wavelength or frequency. The longer wavelengths, that is the lower frequencies, penetrate structures better. That penetration ability depends upon the type of material. Think about the houses of The Three Little Pigs.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/far-c...nal-32124.html
    Last edited by efparri; 11-29-2017 at 09:22 AM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    In free space maybe, but in atmospheric conditions, frequency definitely has an impact on LOS distance.

There's no definite answer to the original question. Rough guess, I would say 10 km or so for rural areas, less for urban areas.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I've heard it's noticeably weaker than PCS LTE but obviously stronger than WCS and BRS LTE. I've picked it up as SCC probably 15 miles away (No need to upload, which is always the weaker part of the connection). Urban areas are going to have tweaked range dependent on cell density (or lack thereof) but it's not low band LTE obviously.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Band 4 is 1700/2100, while Band 2 is 1850/1900. Both bands are in the same frequency range.

Device(s)
    LG G5, G3, G Pad X 10.1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Asalinas96 View Post
    its been around a month since I got the nighthawk LTE router and I am loving it now, pushed just 300GB these last 15 days, Heavy month since I got a Xbox one for blackfriday and purchased several games that downloaded overnight

Anyways I get a -110 signal with fair connection on band 4, latency is around 30-40ms and is very stable
    online gaming works extremely well did not think cellular would do so good in online gaming

(Technology has come a far way)

I am trying to find the tower location to aim and get the best signal while on band 4, knowing the relative distance would help a bit in pin-pointing this.

Thanks guys
    Does the Nighthawk tell you the cell ID? If so, PM it to me and I'll tell you where the tower most likely is.
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper and Sensorly for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively to both projects in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Asalinas96 View Post
    ...I am trying to find the tower location to aim and get the best signal while on band 4, knowing the relative distance would help a bit in pin-pointing this.
    Look at the Cellmapper maps that identify cells. If your area isn't mapped, put Cellmapper on your phone and drive around the area to map the cells.

or

Look at the signal strength info while you slowly rotate the device 360 degrees to find the best signal direction.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The antennas in wireless telephones are not directional. Telephones are oriented in infinite directions while engaging in conversation or during data transfers. Receiving a stronger signal when the telephone is placed in a particular orientation only indicated the sensitivity of the telephone antenna are not necessarily the direction of the cellular site.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by imekul View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm planning to get a Nighthawk myself. Could you tell me what your average upload/download speeds are at at -110?
    afternoons during slight congestion around 30-45mbps download speeds with -110 signal and latency around 30-40ms
    Midnight when there is less congestion it is around 60-75mbps while still at -110 signal and latency goes down to 15-20ms