Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Red Pocket vs Boom

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    244
    Feedback Score
    0

    Red Pocket vs Boom

    I've read the threads. I'm finally switching myself and my husband from VZW postpaid to a VZ MNVO. It looks like Red Pocket wins in the much cheaper department, and Boom wins in the CS department. If I chose RP, I need to take advantage of the sales prices tomorrow.

    What other differences are there, like:

    Is it true that neither one of them has roaming now?

    What are the speeds like on each in general? Is RP much slower?

    Voice quality?

    Getting cut off at the end of the month for a while, even though you're paid? (I think I saw someone say RP did this).

    Any other differences/considerations? Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,752
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Boom supports VoLTE on select phones, so voice quality is likely better. And due to VoLTE, there are likely areas where you will have voice with Boom that you don't with RP.

    I just signed with RP for a backup phone (my primary is now on ATT, and I wanted better coverage if necessary when on road for emergency), and RP had the $10 plan. For ME, the closest boom plan is $5/month more.

    I used my backup phone the other day and voice quality was good enough for me on CDMA.

    Verizon MVNOs have been in a state of flux over the last year. Contracts have been changed, what is allowed has changed. VoLTE is offered on some, and probably at some point all before Verizon drops CDMA in a few years. And speeds will likely be increased. That will likely affect pricing structures.
    I gave into temptation, and bought the iPhone X, even though I had a perfectly good, though oversized, 7+.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,685
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
    I've read the threads. I'm finally switching myself and my husband from VZW postpaid to a VZ MNVO. It looks like Red Pocket wins in the much cheaper department, and Boom wins in the CS department. If I chose RP, I need to take advantage of the sales prices tomorrow.

    What other differences are there, like:

    Is it true that neither one of them has roaming now?

    What are the speeds like on each in general? Is RP much slower?

    Voice quality?

    Getting cut off at the end of the month for a while, even though you're paid? (I think I saw someone say RP did this).

    Any other differences/considerations? Thank you.
    Based on HoFo member reports, Boom no longer has any SMS roaming on the Vzw extended network, which RP does have. Neither have traditional voice roaming available on the Vzw extended network. However, if you have a phone with VoLTE capabilities, and Boom can get it to work properly on your phone, Boom has an advantage there, as there would be full service in Verizon LTE in Rural America (LRA) Program, aka LTEiRA, areas, whereas RP would only have LTE data service in those areas, but that could be used with GV/Hangouts, if so inclined.

    Currently Vzw network speeds would be the same at 5/2, however, Boom is now testing higher unthrottled Vzw data speeds, so Boom may or may not have faster speeds eventually. For full speed LTE, you would have to use RP with the AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile networks.

    Voice quality over the traditional Vzw network would be exactly the same. However, if you have a phone with VoLTE capabilities, and Boom can get it to work properly on your phone, Boom's voice quality should be better with VoLTE.

    There were very isolated reports of RP service not renewing correctly several years ago, but as far as I have seen, that has been reported on only one line recently.

    I used RP for 14 months, ending earlier this year, only because I'm using a free service at the moment. But if I ever need to move back to a traditional paid MVNO service, unless something better comes along or something changes otherwise, I'd go back to RP, simply because they offer a variety of lower usage plans that fit my needs better than unlimited service.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

    Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,752
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    For a primary carrier, boom would have been a better choice for me than RP. VoLTE support on the Verizon network.

    But Verizon service has degenerated where I work, and my data usage has gone up, both of which led me to ATT postpaid again. But I like the rural and mountain coverage of the verizon network better, so I now have a backup line. A MVNO can't really have an "unlimited" high speed data allotment because of their cost of buying data from the main carrier. Neither carrier now offers enough data for my occasional needs.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lost In Space
    Posts
    40
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Red
    Feedback Score
    0
    Boom's advantage is features - VoLTE, Hotspot - as well as CS. Assuming your phone supports those.

    You should include Verizon prepaid in your comparison, as (depending on your plan) the cost can be close to Boom.

    - Wifi calling

    - Unclear whether, if you are in a congested area, you get a higher priority for data on Verizon prepaid. Verizon MVNOs can have very poor data service in congested areas/times.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,168
    Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    ...

    There were very isolated reports of RP service not renewing correctly several years ago, but as far as I have seen, that has been reported on only one line recently.

    ...
    I read of two reports recently on one of the Red Pocket Slickdeals threads.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Based on HoFo member reports, Boom no longer has any SMS roaming on the Vzw extended network, which RP does have. Neither have traditional voice roaming available on the Vzw extended network. However, if you have a phone with VoLTE capabilities, and Boom can get it to work properly on your phone, Boom has an advantage there, as there would be full service in Verizon LTE in Rural America (LRA) Program, aka LTEiRA, areas, whereas RP would only have LTE data service in those areas, but that could be used with GV/Hangouts, if so inclined.

    Currently Vzw network speeds would be the same at 5/2, however, Boom is now testing higher unthrottled Vzw data speeds, so Boom may or may not have faster speeds eventually. For full speed LTE, you would have to use RP with the AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile networks.

    Voice quality over the traditional Vzw network would be exactly the same. However, if you have a phone with VoLTE capabilities, and Boom can get it to work properly on your phone, Boom's voice quality should be better with VoLTE.

    There were very isolated reports of RP service not renewing correctly several years ago, but as far as I have seen, that has been reported on only one line recently.

    I used RP for 14 months, ending earlier this year, only because I'm using a free service at the moment. But if I ever need to move back to a traditional paid MVNO service, unless something better comes along or something changes otherwise, I'd go back to RP, simply because they offer a variety of lower usage plans that fit my needs better than unlimited service.
    I see you had puppy for a while. I'm thinking of porting from puppy to RP but I live in rural PA and have spotty service at best even with Standard VZW service. It's just the norm here. My question is will RP be any worse than Puppy? I was with kitty then switched to puppy before the debacle and haven't had the issues a lot of people had. VZW is the only reliable service here but kitty/puppy is the only mvno I've used. I'm just a little worried about shelling out that much cash and not having service, but if it's ok then it saves me about 50%. Hoping your opinion will help me and possibly others decide

    ETA: Data is a bonus for me. I'm primarily a texter with a little talk thrown in.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,685
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TaroReadr View Post
    I see you had puppy for a while. I'm thinking of porting from puppy to RP but I live in rural PA and have spotty service at best even with Standard VZW service. It's just the norm here. My question is will RP be any worse than Puppy? I was with kitty then switched to puppy before the debacle and haven't had the issues a lot of people had. VZW is the only reliable service here but kitty/puppy is the only mvno I've used. I'm just a little worried about shelling out that much cash and not having service, but if it's ok then it saves me about 50%. Hoping your opinion will help me and possibly others decide

    ETA: Data is a bonus for me. I'm primarily a texter with a little talk thrown in.
    As I understand it, RP should have the exact same coverage as PW currently has. PW used to have some kind of Vzw extended network capabilities, although exactly what was never 100% clear, but their Vzw contact changed a number of months ago, and that Vzw extended network roaming was apparently eliminated.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,763
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    As far as call quality (audio) goes, the thing about VoLTE is that the enhanced audio quality won't be evident if you're not connected to a recipient who also has VoLTE, and as I understand it currently, has to be on the same carrier as well (although this should be changing and in some cases may have already have been overcome between carriers such as VZW and AT&T - IOW it isn't universal yet). Other than that it will affect your coverage since in certain locations there may be a tower providing LTE service that doesn't have the older legacy voice network (1xRTT) available (and in some cases vice versa), which is slowly being phased out.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Chantilly, VA
    Posts
    393
    Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O (AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    As far as call quality (audio) goes, the thing about VoLTE is that the enhanced audio quality won't be evident if you're not connected to a recipient who also has VoLTE.
    You should notice at least a slight improvement in sound quality even if the other party doesn't have VoLTE or HD Voice. True it won't be near as good as a true HD call, but can still sound quite good.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    As I understand it, RP should have the exact same coverage as PW currently has. PW used to have some kind of Vzw extended network capabilities, although exactly what was never 100% clear, but their Vzw contact changed a number of months ago, and that Vzw extended network roaming was apparently eliminated.
    Ain't that the truth :/ Hubby's work paid cell has better service than mine but I'm not paying $60/month for the 250 minutes/ 650 texts and 650 data I use RP is the first I've seen that comes close to beating the $27/month I pay at puppy. As a mostly SAHM I just need reliable service in case my kid's school calls.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,121
    Feedback Score
    0
    From what I've heard VoLTE is good in theory.

    But the percentage is small of VoLTE to VoLTE on compatible networks in areas where VoLTE is available.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

    Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    526
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0
    VoLTE works well b/w Boom ( Verizon ) phone & daughter on AT&T - both use iPhones.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    244
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Boom supports VoLTE on select phones, so voice quality is likely better. And due to VoLTE, there are likely areas where you will have voice with Boom that you don't with RP.

    I just signed with RP for a backup phone (my primary is now on ATT, and I wanted better coverage if necessary when on road for emergency), and RP had the $10 plan. For ME, the closest boom plan is $5/month more.

    I used my backup phone the other day and voice quality was good enough for me on CDMA.

    Verizon MVNOs have been in a state of flux over the last year. Contracts have been changed, what is allowed has changed. VoLTE is offered on some, and probably at some point all before Verizon drops CDMA in a few years. And speeds will likely be increased. That will likely affect pricing structures.
    Thank you, very helpful.

    I wonder how many years before they switch off CDMA (I know that nobody will really have anything more than an educated guess). Because I"m buying a new phone that will surely be kaput at that point. Do the new unlocked CDMA iPhones also have GSM, does anyone know? Could ask Apple of course.

    Some of the RP plans are REALLY cheap! But then there are trade-offs.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    244
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Based on HoFo member reports, Boom no longer has any SMS roaming on the Vzw extended network, which RP does have. Neither have traditional voice roaming available on the Vzw extended network. However, if you have a phone with VoLTE capabilities, and Boom can get it to work properly on your phone, Boom has an advantage there, as there would be full service in Verizon LTE in Rural America (LRA) Program, aka LTEiRA, areas, whereas RP would only have LTE data service in those areas, but that could be used with GV/Hangouts, if so inclined.
    Currently Vzw network speeds would be the same at 5/2, however, Boom is now testing higher unthrottled Vzw data speeds, so Boom may or may not have faster speeds eventually. For full speed LTE, you would have to use RP with the AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile networks.

    Voice quality over the traditional Vzw network would be exactly the same. However, if you have a phone with VoLTE capabilities, and Boom can get it to work properly on your phone, Boom's voice quality should be better with VoLTE.

    There were very isolated reports of RP service not renewing correctly several years ago, but as far as I have seen, that has been reported on only one line recently.

    I used RP for 14 months, ending earlier this year, only because I'm using a free service at the moment. But if I ever need to move back to a traditional paid MVNO service, unless something better comes along or something changes otherwise, I'd go back to RP, simply because they offer a variety of lower usage plans that fit my needs better than unlimited service.
    Thank you! I I saw someone complaining about RP shutting off at the end of every month. Maybe it's an isolated incident now.

    How are the speeds on VZ prepaid compared to RP and Boom?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Red Pocket vs Total Wireless VZW network
    By bamx2 in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-17-2017, 05:28 PM
  2. Boom Mobile vs Red Pocket on VZ
    By Blue Pearl in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-10-2017, 03:40 PM
  3. Red Pocket vs Boom
    By mogulman1 in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-04-2017, 10:03 AM
  4. Boom vs. Red Pocket (Verizon network)
    By josephf in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-06-2017, 01:39 PM
  5. Red Pocket vs. H2O speeds
    By Tjabah in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 07:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks