Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BYOP iPhone Verizon APN installation problem

Feedback Score

BYOP iPhone Verizon APN installation problem

(Splitting off the TW iPhone thread since this doesn't appear to be a TW issue.)

Many people have reported that their TF Verizon BYOP iPhone can't get 4G data unless they install an APN network profile.

I have not been able to install any APNs today. Either from the TracFone website or from iphone.flexserve.net. I can download the network profile but encounter one error or another. The most common one being "Only one APN can be installed at a time". (No, I don't have any profiles installed, and yes, I have done a network reset.)

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm on iOS 11.1.2. Have the same problem on an unlocked Verizon iPhone 5s and on a TW iPhone 6.

Previously, I had an APN on my iPhone 5s, but it stopped working a few days ago. I thought this was related to a SIM transfer I was attempting but looks like not.

Feedback Score
    BTW, same SIM on an Android phone gets 4G LTE, so it's not an account provisioning problem.

Feedback Score
    try updating your iphone to the latest ios update, the settings for data & mms should get pushed to the phone automatically. do this on wifi connection.

Feedback Score
    Have iOS 11.1.2 that’s the latest. (Could be the problem.)

Feedback Score
    try all the tips here in this post - http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...e+apn+settings

Feedback Score
    The only thing I haven’t tried from that thread is the DFU restore. Thought it would not be the issue with a new phone.

Feedback Score
    the only other thing is to try this in post #9 - http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...e+apn+settings if internet still not working, you may need to do a chat with tracfone. maybe something needs to be reset on their end or you need a new sim.

Feedback Score
    Did that already. Also SIM works fine on Android. It's really an iPhone + Verizon problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    Did that already. Also SIM works fine on Android. It's really an iPhone + Verizon problem.
    might try taking your iphone to your nearest apple or verizon store to see what they can do.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The only thing I haven’t tried from that thread is the DFU restore. Thought it would not be the issue with a new phone.
    I'm thinking this might be worth a shot. I had something similar to this happen to me years ago, and only doing a DFU and a full reset of the phone's settings allowed things to be reset. I also believe that once you do that, your phone will download "Carrier settings" over the air which may or may not make things worse if you haven't already installed the APN.

This link seems to describe something similar to what you're experiencing; this person appears to just do a full reset without DFU.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Apple/...on/td-p/524195

In any event, I hope you let us know how you resolve this. I suspect this may happen to me at some point in the future!

Feedback Score
    Okay, have news to report after several factory resets (getting really good at setting up a new iPhone).

Short version:
    The good news: after erasing all contents and settings from the iPhone, I can install a network profile (APN setting).

The bad news: still can't install the network profile from TracFone, and none of the ones from iphone.flexserve.net seem to work.

Long version:
    There's something wonky with the network profile from TracFone (ivzwentp.tracfone.com). When I try to install the profile, it says the installation failed because it can't "communicate with a helper function." My guess is that the profile is now stuck in a half installed mode. If I try to install the same profile again, it says something like UUID is not unique. If I try to install a profile from iphone.flexserve.net, the system says you can only have one APN setting at a time. Seems like the Tracfone profile is stuck in limbo --- didn't install can't be removed.

I did several factory resets to figure this out.

If I go straight to iphone.flexserve.net, I can install and delete network profiles. I tried the one that was mentioned most often in various threads: "Straight Talk (tracfone.vzwentp)". I rebooted, turned off WiFi and I am still getting the dreaded "Could not activate cellular data network" message.

Not sure where to go from here. I tried a couple of profiles from unlockit.co.nz. Those didn't work either.

Feedback Score
    Success!!

I tried one more setting from iphone.flexserve.net.... It's the one called ... (drum roll please) .... "Verizon (4G LTE)"

Who would have thunk!

Now, I would really like to restore my iPhone from backup. Is there a way to do this without copying over the network settings???

Feedback Score
    Confirmed that restoring from backup also restores the messed up network profile state. Apple needs to provide something other than the all or nothing approach to backup and restore.

I think the only thing I use that cannot be restored from the cloud is iMessages. There are utilities that extract and restore messages but they cost $$$. I guess I'll have to shell out the cash.

Sigh. I used to be such an Apple fan boy. Now my Android calendar syncs better with iCloud than my iPhone does!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It must have something to do with the newer SIMs that show TFW on the Verizon side - because my iPhone 7 is updated to iOS 11.1.2 and has no issues with data, though it says Verizon as the network name. At one point I did transfer to a newer SIM and couldn't get data working, so I went back to an older SIM. I do like my TracFone SIM in an iPhone though since iMessage is so much easier and cheaper for my use of it.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 8 Plus, Galaxy S8
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 6s [AT&T] & iPhone 7 [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z915 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Device(s)
    G2, MotoG, Droid Mini, (retired: GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Sigh. I used to be such an Apple fan boy.
    There have been odd corner cases out there for years.

It's looks great when it works. But if something goes wrong the locked down system is impossible to do much with.

That locked down nature is a big reason I haven't been a fan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast