Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Official maps no longer show LTE roaming, partners missing

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    I see that for voice, but not for data.
    https://snag.gy/JkSMty.jpg
    Yes, interesting. When I checked yesterday I saw 3rd-party data coverage at South Rim but today what I see matches what you show in your screenshot. I don't think it's a browser caching issue and I don't have any explanation for the change, but what I see today is as you describe, 3rd party data coverage markings have been removed. Maybe there is some commotion going in in the back-office engine that supplies tha data, I guess we'll just have to see if it settles down.

Device(s)
    IPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Official maps no longer show LTE roaming, partners missing

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanjackal View Post
    Can't speak to the speculation, but I can attest that 4G and even LTE roaming throughout northern Arizona, southern Utah, and central Nevada was working spectacularly on my 2,500-mile road trip last week. (Also, no hint of the 400MB cap on domestic roaming, not even a text acknowledging any data use at all--I'm on MSV 30GB--and I'm sure I used at least a few GB.)

Loss of data roaming to rural Alaska has the potential to significantly compromise my travel plans next summer. Let's hope this is just a glitch.
    Yep I saw change in the Alaska map for data. I’m pretty sure it’s just a map glitch but we’ll see!

And why don’t they show their native LTE coverage in Nome? It still shows as a no service area on the maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jtludwig; 12-01-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    I see that for voice, but not for data.
    https://snag.gy/JkSMty.jpg
    That looks like a map glitch where some tiles are missing, you can see portions of fair coverage appear to have a giant square chunk taken out. I've had it happen before where some tiles simply won't load. Do you see it appear if you zoom out or in more?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Can't speak to the speculation, but I can attest that 4G and even LTE roaming throughout northern Arizona, southern Utah, and central Nevada was working spectacularly on my 2,500-mile road trip last week. (Also, no hint of the 400MB cap on domestic roaming, not even a text acknowledging any data use at all--I'm on MSV 30GB--and I'm sure I used at least a few GB.)

Loss of data roaming to rural Alaska has the potential to significantly compromise my travel plans next summer. Let's hope this is just a glitch.
    Did your display say "Off Network"?

I just recently spoke to the excessive roaming department to get that added to my account (apparently they have been the only ones that know how to do this for me) and first she said don't use more than 1GB....then 400 MB.....then .....another number figure.

Well its good to know they aren't enforcing roaming limits?

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Where in rural AK? They have very limited roaming on GCI, unfortunately, so a lot of Southwest Alaska is a dead zone. Their "data" roaming on ASTAC in Barrow doesn't really work, as ASTAC's network doesn't work most of the time for anything other than voice and text.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    IPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Where in rural AK? They have very limited roaming on GCI, unfortunately, so a lot of Southwest Alaska is a dead zone. Their "data" roaming on ASTAC in Barrow doesn't really work, as ASTAC's network doesn't work most of the time for anything other than voice and text.
    There’s a large amount of LTE roaming in the Cordova area that’s not shown on this update.

And they still don’t show their native LTE coverage in Nome.

Device(s)
    AT&T iPhone 6 Plus, Verizon Mifi 6620L
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post

I just recently spoke to the excessive roaming department to get that added to my account (apparently they have been the only ones that know how to do this for me) and first she said don't use more than 1GB....then 400 MB.....then .....another number figure.

Yes, "Off Network" was displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    There’s a large amount of LTE roaming in the Cordova area that’s not shown on this update.

Yes, Cordova will be the one that hurts me the most--I'll be spending a week in that area next May and will need to remain connected to work remotely, and given the high cost of wifi from local providers, cell data is more important than normal.

Touché regarding ASTAC, though.

They finally got LTE live in Nome? I was there about a year after they announced they were putting it in and it still wasn't live. Are they running backhaul over their satellite (in which case LTE seems almost...pointless), over GCI TERRA, or over the new Quintillion/Arctic Fibre network that I think just went live in Nome earlier today?
    Last edited by alaskanjackal; 12-01-2017 at 10:54 PM. Reason: spacing

Device(s)
    IPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, "Off Network" was displayed.

Yes, Cordova will be the one that hurts me the most--I'll be spending a week in that area next May and will need to remain connected to work remotely, and given the high cost of wifi from local providers, cell data is more important than normal.

Touché regarding ASTAC, though.

They finally got LTE live in Nome? I was there about a year after they announced they were putting it in and it still wasn't live. Are they running backhaul over their satellite (in which case LTE seems almost...pointless), over GCI TERRA, or over the new Quintillion/Arctic Fibre network that I think just went live in Nome earlier today?
    They’ve had it in Nome for a while so it’s not through Quintillion.

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2017/05...lular-in-nome/

Device(s)
    AT&T iPhone 6 Plus, Verizon Mifi 6620L
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They’ve had it in Nome for a while so it’s not through Quintillion.

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2017/05...lular-in-nome/

Ah, it just went live this summer, then. Cool. A ping test would reveal whether it's satellite (~600ms) or TERRA (50ms). Though it wouldn't surprise me if they jump onto the fiber soon.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    That looks like a map glitch where some tiles are missing, you can see portions of fair coverage appear to have a giant square chunk taken out. I've had it happen before where some tiles simply won't load. Do you see it appear if you zoom out or in more?
    This absolutely looks like a map glitch and the roaming hasn't changed. I tried zooming in on the data map, and as you can see by the screenshots, the correct roaming tiles show back up.

Name:  Capture1.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  41.4 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post

Is there a number you have for this department? I called regular cs sometime back to see if they could add the “off network” alpha tag and of course they were clueless.
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    Is there a number you have for this department? I called regular cs sometime back to see if they could add the “off network” alpha tag and of course they were clueless.
    I think the code is 4EON. Ask them to search for the code.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score

Interesting. Why does AT&T has some GCI roaming, but not roaming on GCI's entire footprint? There are large areas where AT&T has nothing, and GCI has all the villages covered.

I'm sure it's GCI. You can do a couple hundred mbps over satellite easily, but the costs would be astronomical... supposedly the military can do gigabit connections via satellite almost anywhere in the world. The reality for commercial telecom is that the satellite connections suck, have ridiculous latency (above what the physics would dictate), and have lousy bandwidth available.

Ah, it just went live this summer, then. Cool. A ping test would reveal whether it's satellite (~600ms) or TERRA (50ms). Though it wouldn't surprise me if they jump onto the fiber soon.
    A good satellite connection would be. The reality is that many satellite connections are much higher. Barrow, AK was 1400ms when I tested it on Wi-Fi, I don't think I ever got a Speedtest to even complete on cellular.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    Yep! It's 888-860-6789

It's the excessive roaming support department. They can add it easy. I haven't found any regular CS that can add it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    IPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Interesting. Why does AT&T has some GCI roaming, but not roaming on GCI's entire footprint? There are large areas where AT&T has nothing, and GCI has all the villages covered.

I'm sure it's GCI. You can do a couple hundred mbps over satellite easily, but the costs would be astronomical... supposedly the military can do gigabit connections via satellite almost anywhere in the world. The reality for commercial telecom is that the satellite connections suck, have ridiculous latency (above what the physics would dictate), and have lousy bandwidth available.

A good satellite connection would be. The reality is that many satellite connections are much higher. Barrow, AK was 1400ms when I tested it on Wi-Fi, I don't think I ever got a Speedtest to even complete on cellular.
    The LTE roaming in Cordova isn’t with GCI. It’s with Cordova wireless using leased spectrum from AT&T.

http://www.alaskajournal.com/busines...va-slope-deals

GCI only has slow 2G available in that whole part of the state.

I don’t believe that AT&T subscribers can roam on GCI at all. GCI’s coverages in the villages is their trump card against AT&T. They would be foolish to allow a major competitor/existential threat to roam on it in any fashion.

**UPDATE**. I forgot to mention that T-Mobile has full speed unrestricted roaming on GCI’s network throughout the state that isn’t subject to roaming caps. They are on friendlier terms since they aren’t direct competitors.

Last edited by jtludwig; 12-02-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast