Thread: new cricket subscriber

Feedback Score

new cricket subscriber

i have a question about cricket, last week i switched to cricket, took the ZTE Overture 3 phone, within the last few days i have noticed the same route driving home talking to a friend, i get cutting out a few times, this never happened on my previous provider, although my previous phone was an LG G2, question i have is before i give up on Cricket, tomorrow i am going to put the sim card in my LG G2 is there any chance this phone will do better on reception.

chet

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-tmb rugby 3
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Who was your previous carrier? What do you mean by "cutting out"? Why don't you try it and let us all know

Feedback Score
    previous carrier was Page Plus cellular, will try the LG G2 tomorrow, cutting out like he says to me i did not get all your words and the same for me, some words broken up

chet

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Your page plus was on vzw, right? cricket uses AT&T. What area are you in. Is the route along interstate? All carriers have weaker coverage areas, which is the reason I don't use vzw as a primary carrier, although typically their coverage is better, which maybe what's happening with you. I've never owned a zte phone and others will have to comment on how well they work vs other phones. But that's what trials are for.

On the other hand, does this breakup occur in about the same place along your route. I drive a 75 mile route to work and thru the years, I've encountered what I believe to be weak cell towers, which may continue for several weeks. I encounter dropped calls in theses areas on a regular basis where in the past they didn't occur. Then the issue will usually clear up, and another area will have the issue. I had the att tower or sector toward my house go off for a month or so when I was with AT&T some years ago. When from 4 r 5 bars inside house, to having you step outside to make call.

With vzw along this route there are weak areas which have been there for years, and never get fixed. I'm sure others have exactly the reverse of this.

There are just so many reasons / variables to guess.

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    And it's certainly possible, even probable, that cricket/att has weaker, or no signal in areas where pp/Verizon was strong. And vice versa.

And just as surely one phone may work better with marginal signal than another. Those typical free Cricket phones don't get much respect.
    Sent from my SM-J727T1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score

new cricket subscriber

Except for that one spot how is the overall signal? Especially at work and home? I remembered the exact spots on the highway where Cricket always dropped. Some kind of ghost zone. Everywhere else was fine. A few months later it was fine.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Like others said might be a localized AT&T vs VZW coverage issue.

It wouldn't surprise if it was a LG vs ZTE reception issue. I've had low end to high end LG's that put other brands reception to shame.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 640, Motorola Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If he had page plus he was likely on Verizon. I don't think his test of swapping a Cricket sim is going to work in a Verizon LG G2 phone.

It's likely the difference in carrier signal along his route anyway.

Feedback Score
    Probably hand over from one tower to the next ? Download att mark the spot app and report it after sometime it may help it has me in the past I believe

Sent from my Moto E (4) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chetc45 View Post
    i have a question about cricket, last week i switched to cricket, took the ZTE Overture 3 phone, within the last few days i have noticed the same route driving home talking to a friend, i get cutting out a few times, this never happened on my previous provider, although my previous phone was an LG G2, question i have is before i give up on Cricket, tomorrow i am going to put the sim card in my LG G2 is there any chance this phone will do better on reception.

chet
    Simple answer is AT&T doesn't have you covered, but that's not surprising given their small network, I'd suggest you hop over to TotalWireless since Verizon coverage worked for you in the past. I'd even take a look at MetroPCS and grab a free phone. Test drive your other options, don't waste your time with Cricket and throttled service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Simple answer is AT&T doesn't have you covered, but that's not surprising given their small network, I'd suggest you hop over to TotalWireless since Verizon coverage worked for you in the past. I'd even take a look at MetroPCS and grab a free phone. Test drive your other options, don't waste your time with Cricket and throttled service.
    I wouldn't call AT&T a "small" network. The opposite of "not surprising" is true, since AT&T covers the vast majority of US states quite well. One would think you are talking of Sprint instead!

At this time, MetroPCS is still much smaller than AT&T, so in a third or more of the territory of the US lower 48 you will get 0 mbps on MetroPCS and at the same time get Cricket with up to 9 mbps "throttled" speed. A throttled speed that is certainly is a lot faster than nothing, and still lets you watch video and listen to music. This will be true for a couple of years until Metro's T-Mobile network expands to fill the gap.

I don't think at this time it is the best idea to tell someone who isn't happy about the signal on the slightly smaller AT&T/Cricket network (compared to Verizon) to solve his problem by going to MetroPCS, which is much smaller carrier that will "cut out" even more due to outright lack of towers a third of the time. Regular T-Mobile makes up for the big coverage gap some with AT&T roaming, but MetroPCS doesn't even have that. So it lives and dies by T-Mobile native coverage only, which won't be good and nationwide until 2019.
    -----
    Now, Chet, on average you should have few coverage problems on AT&T, with little difference compared to Verizon. However, my own anecdotal experience with a ZTE phone (better than the one you have) was of the signal constantly cutting out. I solved this by putting the sim in a better phone (non ZTE!) that didn't cut out all the time and had a good radio and could keep a solid signal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post
    If he had page plus he was likely on Verizon. I don't think his test of swapping a Cricket sim is going to work in a Verizon LG G2 phone.

It's likely the difference in carrier signal along his route anyway.
    Or a ZTE phone with a bad radio, which I mention because I've had trouble with one myself.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Or a ZTE phone with a bad radio, which I mention because I've had trouble with one myself.
    I commute thru hilly areas on a regular basis, and for years I've used a dumb phone on my backup line(s) as they almost always have a better radio than any smartphone I've ever used.
    The best radio seemed to be the motorola v3's etc. I've been meaning to try one again.

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chetc45 View Post
    previous carrier was Page Plus cellular, will try the LG G2 tomorrow, cutting out like he says to me i did not get all your words and the same for me, some words broken up
    This sounds like a problem due to HD Voice (VoLTE). Your phone may be encountering a weak LTE signal, causing this voice glitch. If you turn off HD Voice (either in the phone or in your account) you will use HSPA for voice, and depending on your location, probably on the stronger Band 5 (850 Mhz).