Thread: Can we still use Hangouts?

Feedback Score

Can we still use Hangouts?

Wondering if we can still use Hangouts and what limitations might be?

I switched to the GV app early in the year for group messaging etc but have been constantly annoyed it doesn't support vcards. It says unsupported and won't even allow you to save it and open in another app like Hangouts did. Now considering moving back but not sure if I can or should.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I use the Android Hangouts app exclusively for all my voice and messaging needs. I've never used the GV app.

Feedback Score
    Any developments on GV voip?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gameon123 View Post
    Any developments on GV voip?
    Nothing new that I'm aware of. I still use GV+Hangouts 100% of the time for voice and messaging on my cell phone, with FreedomPop providing LTE data, and GV+Obi for voice on my "home phones".

Did you have any specific questions?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Nothing new that I'm aware of. I still use GV+Hangouts 100% of the time for voice and messaging on my cell phone, with FreedomPop providing LTE data, and GV+Obi for voice on my "home phones".

Did you have any specific questions?
    I was referring to the GV app. It was updated earlier this year. There was mention about plans for the app to use voip. My understanding is GV app uses your cell plan minutes. Whereas Hangouts does not. Hangouts is ok but GV app starting to look better IMO.

Feedback Score
    The GV app still uses your voice minutes and fakes out the caller ID. That's perfect IMO, I have unlimited voice but limited data. You can use both.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I was referring to the GV app. It was updated earlier this year. There was mention about plans for the app to use voip. My understanding is GV app uses your cell plan minutes. Whereas Hangouts does not. Hangouts is ok but GV app starting to look better IMO.
    Lol. You posted in a thread about Hangouts, didn't mention the GV App, but expected someone to know the GV App was what you were asking about?

Interesting...

Anyway, no, I've seen no news on that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Lol. You posted in a thread about Hangouts, didn't mention the GV App, but expected someone to know the GV App was what you were asking about?

Interesting...

Anyway, no, I've seen no news on that.
    Really? I see GV app in both posts (#1 and #2=yours). Interesting, indeed...take a sec and slowly back away from the screen

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I've always looked at the fundamental purpose of GV to be to primarily offer forwarding flexibility for incoming calls, and in the course of implementing that it provides an alternative number

Edit: One missed keystroke on the phone which entered an unfinished post, and no Edit function on the mobile website, and here I am again to finish this up on a PC!

In the course of implementing things you're given an alternate number identity, which can be either a new number from Google, or you can port in your old number for a cost.

Alternate number identity for incoming and outgoing, or port in an existing number, and use the GV system for the features it provides. And calls/texting are still compatible with the PSTN (public switched telephone network), even if you're using a dumb phone or communicating with dumb phones/landlines, because it's done over the switched circuit phone network, except:

With the advent and popularity of data networks and the first gen GV app, the app could use the data network to communicate with Google's servers and figure out a special number for the recipient (on the fly), and use that number over the PSTN to reach the recipient and maintain your GV number identity. So that's key, and it's not using VoIP to place the call in this basic scenario. For those raised in the era of smartphones with data plans, you have to remember that GV was well underway and had a practical use and many fans even before mobile data was in widespread use.

It's with the inclusion of the separate Hangouts app and dialer that the comms are enabled into the realm of VoIP. Google has stated in the past that it has reasons for not wanting to be considered a telecommunications company (which is the reason you can't call 911 systems through it), and I think this is the reason we may not see the GV app itself take on the functions of VoIP calling. Just a guess and my $0.02. Although it's hard to see what may happen to the Hangouts app itself since it has apparently failed to catch on as Google's primary one stop messaging solution. If it somehow either goes away or becomes a separate or new "business solution" of some sort, there will obviously have to be something that takes over its function in relation to GV.
    Last edited by whacker; 12-13-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I've always looked at the fundamental purpose of GV to be to primarily offer forwarding flexibility for incoming calls, and in the course of implementing that it provides an alternative number
    It's really all of the above. You do get call forwarding to physical lines which is incredibly handy. You also can use Hangouts/GV across all your devices with virtually any OS. You can have your home phone, work phone, cell phone, tablet, and laptop all ring simultaneously. You can easily check your messages and voicemails across any device and your entire history is available for perusing. GV is just really jam-packed with advanced features, and I've always been a big fan.
    After the update, it's possible to use the GV application instead of Hangouts. I wouldn't as I prefer Hangouts and also want to keep my history largely in a single place (Except for my really old GV history prior to Hangouts integration back in the day). I also use regular Hangouts conversations. Hangouts works well across all my devices. I use the application on my Android devices and the Chrome extension on Windows.