Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Call Protect App for Spam Calls

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Call Protect App for Spam Calls

I’m currently with Verizon and they charge you $2.99 a month for Caller ID Name (there answer to Call Protect). I won’t pay that, but I am thinking of switching to AT&T for this reason. Is Call Protect helpful in reducing spam calls or at least alerting you about them? Thanks.
    Carrier History:
    AT&T 12/2017 - Present
    Verizon Wireless 8/2016 - 12/2017
    T-Mobile 4/2016 - 8/2016
    AT&T (formally Cingular) 12/2001 - 4/2016

Feedback Score
    Yes, call protect characterizes calls like robocalls, spam, telemarketer and blocks scam/fraud calls.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Got Call Protect(AT&T), app not necessary on phone. Helps a lot. But I go one step farther. I can make my default ringtone "silent". I assign a specific ringtone to every contact (a tedious chore, but I only do it once). If a non-contact calls, I don't hear the call (I'd see the activity if I happen to be using or looking at the phone at that time). Unanswered, the call goes to voicemail. 95% of telemarketers don't leave a message. When I review unanswered calls, if they didn't leave a message, they get blocked. If the call was important, and they leave a message, you get a VM indication immediately and you can call back right away. Getting very few spam calls anymore.

Feedback Score
    Get a free Google Voice number (or port your current number to Google Voice) and then forward it to your carrier number. GV has very effective spam filtering, or you can selectively block any numbers(s) you choose, or send them to a custom voicemail, or whatever. No changes to your device or contacts list required.

My personal policy is that anyone who calls me and doesn't leave a voicemail gets one chance to redeem themselves, else on the second call with no message... blocked.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Still doesn't protect you against people calling you on your underlying phone number on your phone. Which, if it was used by someone else previously, may get a lot of calls. Let alone robocalls.
    I gave into temptation, and bought the iPhone X, even though I had a perfectly good, though oversized, 7+.

Feedback Score
    Yes, that is true. It helps to have a 'quiet' number to begin with, and since you never give out the carrier number then it tends to stay that way.

In my case I don't have a carrier number at all, I just use Google Hangouts dialer which has worked very well for me these last several years. I just use a data-only plan on the phone, less expensive and virtually no nuisance calls that way. I understand that may not work for everyone though.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
    Yes, that is true. It helps to have a 'quiet' number to begin with, and since you never give out the carrier number then it tends to stay that way.

In my case I don't have a carrier number at all, I just use Google Hangouts dialer which has worked very well for me these last several years. I just use a data-only plan on the phone, less expensive and virtually no nuisance calls that way. I understand that may not work for everyone though.
    It may work better on an Android phone, but otherwise you have to remember to always dial from the hangouts dialer on your phone or your regular number will leak. Unless you make it "private", but then many people won't answer it.

Feedback Score
    On an Android phone you can select your default dialer, and if you choose Hangouts then the native dialer won't be used (unless you select it manually.) It didn't occur to me that iOS wouldn't give you that choice but... it should have.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If it's as good as T-Mobile's free Spam Block feature, it's a night and day difference. Very few spam calls (one every few days) get thru where I used to have multiple daily.

Before that I used to use the Hiya app, which also blocks spam calls. Looking at their homepage, it seems AT&T and T-Mobile are Hiya partners so their database is similar.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue2007 View Post
    I’m currently with Verizon and they charge you $2.99 a month for Caller ID Name (there answer to Call Protect). I won’t pay that, but I am thinking of switching to AT&T for this reason. Is Call Protect helpful in reducing spam calls or at least alerting you about them? Thanks.
    Yes. You’ll still get a few that slip through, like spoofed numbers, I just don’t answer numbers I don’t recognize. The nice thing is after you’ve been called, you can block that number from ever calling you again and they are blocked at the cell tower level. But it does an excellent job at blocking known scammers and telemarketers and warning you. All summer long I received a ton of scammer and telemarketer calls, spoofed calls as well. Since using the app, I’d block the ones that made it through and between that and the app warning me of suspected scammers and what not, I rarely get a scam call now, spoofed calls either. I love this app. Best part is it’s free.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue2007 View Post
    There are 3rd party apps (Hiya) that do the same thing for free. TMobile/Metro included spam protection (Scam ID) for free as well. However none of these service can protect you from rouge services that steal your number anyway. Spammers are crafty, so its much easier to use a little common sense (i.e don't answer unrecognized numbers).

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It’s amazing to me that Verizon charges for this service. Between this and the $10 extra to get full HD video back I am totally considering switching back to AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    There are 3rd party apps (Hiya) that do the same thing for free. TMobile/Metro included spam protection (Scam ID) for free as well. However none of these service can protect you from rouge services that steal your number anyway. Spammers are crafty, so its much easier to use a little common sense (i.e don't answer unrecognized numbers).
    Also don't answer calls whose caller ID shows the same area code & prefix (exchange) as your number - unless someone you know has such a number. I think that's called "neighbor spoofing".

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sar840t2 View Post
    Also don't answer calls whose caller ID shows the same area code & prefix (exchange) as your number - unless someone you know has such a number. I think that's called "neighbor spoofing".
    Yep. I have been getting those for about 7 months... I just decline those calls.

Feedback Score
    I got one answered it and it was Hilton Honors. I would have thought they would be better than that.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast