Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best phone value right now

Feedback Score

Best phone value right now

I gave my 13yr old one of the Moto E4s last year (paid a couple bucks for Ebay unlock and have been using on Cricket). I got it at Walmart for $39.99 when that was a popular deal.

I THINK we just lost his phone for him (may have been pickpocketed from wife's purse while we were holding it for him) so may need to replace.

What is the current best value phone we could use on Cricket? I need to look at Cricket website to see if there are upgrade options but I know you need to pay $25 just to upgrade there. I see a Motorola G4 Play at BestBuy for $42.99.

The cheaper the better but I also don't want to get him something with 2 gigs of storage or something that is effectively unusable. I think the E4 was either 8gb or 16gb and he used a lot of storage for stuff.

Thanks

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Best phone value right now

The AT&T prepaid huawei ascend xt 2 in $59.99 at walmart.com right will work out of the box on cricket ... pretty decent phone for the price

Feedback Score
    Is that better than a G4 Play?

Feedback Score
    Get another Moto E4 in family dollar for $29 if you can find it. 12/4 is the last day of the promotion.
    https://slickdeals.net/f/10958327-fa...archBarV2Algo1

Feedback Score
    For $50 you can get the larger Huawei Ascend XT2 from walmart. Not sure it is better in the software department but has a big battery and decent camera. Target has the Huawei Elate which is the same phone but cricket branded for $65...it may come with a sim, I am not sure.

ZTE Blade spark is another one to look at.

I am going on a vacation and tired of the mediocre camera on my ZTE z-max2. Looking for something cheap to take pictures with myself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Is that better than a G4 Play?
    Yes both the xt2 and the cricket Huawei elate (same device as the xt2 just the cricket version that can be bought for 65 as said above) are better devices than a g4 play.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zubrin View Post
    Get another Moto E4 in family dollar for $29 if you can find it. 12/4 is the last day of the promotion.
    https://slickdeals.net/f/10958327-fa...archBarV2Algo1
    yeah I saw that elsewhere here. Need to call around to a Family Dollar and see if any left. They aren't exactly close to me unfortunately

Feedback Score
    H773, just so ya know, the G4 Play is a step down from the E4 and the Verizon Prepaid version won't do voice on Cricket. The Huawei XT2 is a pretty nice option but it's a little more expensive then another E4.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    H773, just so ya know, the G4 Play is a step down from the E4 and the Verizon Prepaid version won't do voice on Cricket. The Huawei XT2 is a pretty nice option but it's a little more expensive then another E4.
    OK yeah that is very helpful - I don't want to give my son a phone that "won't do voice"

I will look at Family Dollar but otherwise will buy the Huawei for 50 bucks. I don't need to do anything to that one right? since it is AT&T already.

Really wish we could find the other one but Google "Find my Device" can't contact the phone, prob because it is dead on battery now. Or if someone stole it then they might have done a reset.

Feedback Score
    Family Dollar all sold out around me.

I guess it is Huawei then. I tried to Price Match Family Dollar ad at Best Buy (via phone) and two different stores said no go.

Hopefully switching the PHONE into the same existing line doesn't count as a "change" that makes me lose my grandfathered $100/5 lines. If so I'm gonna flip out

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-tmb rugby 3
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Family Dollar all sold out around me.

I guess it is Huawei then. I tried to Price Match Family Dollar ad at Best Buy (via phone) and two different stores said no go.

Hopefully switching the PHONE into the same existing line doesn't count as a "change" that makes me lose my grandfathered $100/5 lines. If so I'm gonna flip out
    They are still around(the moto) st my local store , but if you're looking to use with cricket, one of the unlockers on ebay indicated would not work totally with any carrier other than vzw. Dunno.

Edit: never mind,I see already posted.

Feedback Score
    Probably the best deals out there right now are for the Metro Zmax Pro and Zmax Blade. $30.00 with port in but ya gotta find an unlock code or wait exactly 3 months to unlock them with the built in app. I already have a ZPro on Cricket but I'm headed to Metro tomorrow to get a Blade. I really like the big ZTE's compared to the big Huawei's.

Feedback Score
    I gave my 13yr old one of the Moto E4s last year (paid a couple bucks for Ebay unlock and have been using on Cricket). I got it at Walmart for $39.99 when that was a popular deal.

I THINK we just lost his phone for him (may have been pickpocketed from wife's purse while we were holding it for him) so may need to replace.

What is the current best value phone we could use on Cricket? I need to look at Cricket website to see if there are upgrade options but I know you need to pay $25 just to upgrade there. I see a Motorola G4 Play at BestBuy for $42.99.

The cheaper the better but I also don't want to get him something with 2 gigs of storage or something that is effectively unusable. I think the E4 was either 8gb or 16gb and he used a lot of storage for stuff.

Thanks
    You might want to think outside the box. The carrier-branded box, that is!

Cricket last time I knew had an excellent "BYOP" situation. Which leaves you pretty much wide open.

The Moto G 5th Generation comes in a 4gb model and seems to come up on lists for "Best budget phone" a lot of the time in print or in podcasts. In my own experience, it does everything well or better. The camera is good, but not top-flight.

If that is massively out of your price range, though. I will concur with those recommending the Moto E4. The Moto's always seem to be a cut above the ZTE models in quality and value.

ZTE is a just burner-phone company that aspires to be better. Motorola is a venerable company closing in on a century of age, with decades-long experience with cell phone radios, and it has been making flagship-level smartphones for a while.

Feedback Score
    Moto G4 Play unlocked would work quite well for your son. I have one and I like it alot. It's very similar to Moto E4 minus fingerprint scanner.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Probably the best deals out there right now are for the Metro Zmax Pro and Zmax Blade. $30.00 with port in but ya gotta find an unlock code or wait exactly 3 months to unlock them with the built in app. I already have a ZPro on Cricket but I'm headed to Metro tomorrow to get a Blade. I really like the big ZTE's compared to the big Huawei's.
    Depends what big Huawei. Mate 9 or 10? Not even close, the Huawei is better. Honor 6x or 8? Again, it's not even close Huawei is better. The acsend xt2 or elate? The zte has a sharper display no doubt, but the 720p display on the Huawei is much more vivid. Internals are the same on the blade zmax and the xt2/elate. Same 435 chip with 2gb of ram. The Huawei performs better though, the ram manegment on the blade is terrible. As of right now Huawei just makes better devices than zte and I really don't think it's even close. As far as the blade zmax, it's actually free right now with port in. They lowered the base price from 129 to 99, making it free with port in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast