Thread: Calls blocked on away?

Device(s)
    ZenFone 2 ZE551ML
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Freedom
    Feedback Score

Calls blocked on away?

Hi guys, I'm new to FM thanks to the iPhone promo. While waiting for the iPhone I tried my FM sim on my ZenFone 2 (WW) version. This phone doesn't support freedom's UMTS network so connects to a third party network in away mode. The phone does support B4 LTE and in areas where there is coverage like Aurora, Newmarket LTE data works. However while in away I'm not able to make/receive any calls. I have the $50 plan which allows me 2400 mins of away calling so it should work.

I'm thinking if freedom blocks calls in away while you are in one of their home covered area. Does anyone know if that's true?. I can't think of any other reasons.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus (128GB version)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    No they don't block calls. For the Zenfone you should've gotten the NA version. I have 2 of them and both are the NA versions and they have never blocked any of my calls in "Home" mode. The NA version has the Band 4 (AWS 1700/2100) frequency needed for Freedom (3G). The WW version lacks the Band 4 (AWS 1700/2100) needed to work on Freedom. This is why you're seeing "No Service".

The iPhone will not have this issue.

On Asus's site, the NA version is referred to as the "US" version. Zenfone 4's use the "NA" nomenclature.

So no, it's not true, it's your phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mustu521 View Post
    I'm thinking if freedom blocks calls in away while you are in one of their home covered area. Does anyone know if that's true?. I can't think of any other reasons.
    That is correct. If you are in one of their Home zones, roaming usage is supposed to be blocked (data, calls and texts). However, recently data and texts on Away have begun to work (sometimes intermittently) within Home zones; calls still do not.

When you are in an area marked as Away / Partner networks on the coverage map, data, calls and texts should all work when connected to Away.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ethanh View Post
    That is correct. If you are in one of their Home zones, roaming usage is supposed to be blocked (data, calls and texts). However, recently data and texts on Away have begun to work (sometimes intermittently) within Home zones; calls still do not.

When you are in an area marked as Away / Partner networks on the coverage map, data, calls and texts should all work when connected to Away.
    I don't think you understood the question. The version of the Zenfone that the OP has, does not support Freedom's UMTS network (Band 4 AWS). That is known as the WW version which according to the spec sheet does not have Band 4 for UMTS. Band 4 LTE is supported, but is not part of the core question. I have 2 Zenfones, both of them the US versions, that have Band 4 (AWS) (UMTS). Which means when I had them, I never once had any issues on the network.

The phone needs to have the 1700MHz frequency in the radio antenna (modem) in order for it to work on any network that has Band 4 (AWS) (UMTS). If it does not, you won't be able to get anything. Freedom uses this specific frequency. This would definitely explain why he's not getting any calls.

Has zero to do with the network, it's all the OP's phone not having that specific frequency in the radio (modem) for UMTS. This should solve the OP's question.

Feedback Score
    ^Exactly, to add to this even if your Phone Supports AWS HSPA 1700Mhz (Band IV) your calls are mostly blocked on away if you are within Freedom/Wind's Native Home Network.

Device(s)
    ZenFone 2 ZE551ML
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. I'm aware that my phone does not support the required UMTS frequency for freedom. That's the reason it doesn't connect to their home network even though I'm in a coverage area. So it seems that they do block calls when in away. I do remember seeing a text go through randomly but like 3ethanh mentioned it is random.

I think they should allow calls in such situations. What if your in a spotty location?.

Device(s)
    BB Passport, MS 650DS, W10 Alcatel Idol 4s
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. I'm aware that my phone does not support the required UMTS frequency for freedom. That's the reason it doesn't connect to their home network even though I'm in a coverage area. So it seems that they do block calls when in away. I do remember seeing a text go through randomly but like 3ethanh mentioned it is random.

I think they should allow calls in such situations. What if your in a spotty location?.
    Freedom does block 'roaming' calls in local areas. This was put into place about 18 months after they first launched as so many people were complaining about surprise roaming charges in local areas at the time.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Yes freedom blocks away network in areas marked as "home". What you saw is normal behaviour. This was put in place to avoid accidental roaming charges I believe for people who don't have the 2400 away minutes!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    Yes freedom blocks away network in areas marked as "home". What you saw is normal behaviour. This was put in place to avoid accidental roaming charges I believe for people who don't have the 2400 away minutes!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using HoFo mobile app
    Which makes Freedom less than ideal when one lives in one of their many fringe coverage areas which they consider part of their 'home' network. They should at least let a customer roam as opposed to offering no service at all. Perhaps some form of "opt out" option should be offered.
    Nexus 5.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skifan View Post
    Which makes Freedom less than ideal when one lives in one of their many fringe coverage areas which they consider part of their 'home' network. They should at least let a customer roam as opposed to offering no service at all. Perhaps some form of "opt out" option should be offered.
    Away is allowed in fringe (Variable) areas

Sent from my Nexus 6P using HoFo mobile app
    Damn!

Device(s)
    ZenFone 2 ZE551ML
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Freedom
    Feedback Score
    i agree. Specially inside buildings and basements. At least the calling option should be allowed so you wouldn't miss an important call.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    i agree. Specially inside buildings and basements. At least the calling option should be allowed so you wouldn't miss an important call.
    You're not on "Manually Select Network" are you? When I've been on the "fringe", I've been allowed to make calls. Calls come in for me. The "opt out" here is the "Manually Select Network" option. Then your phone will stay on Home. This is if you are using an Android phone.

iPhones however, since the OP is waiting for his, will not have this option with the "Freedom Mobile Carrier 31.1" update. I have an unlocked iPhone that used to have an option where I could automatically select the network. With this carrier update, that option is no longer there. Which means you'll have to pay attention to your phone if you aren't on one of those plans. But if I switched SIM cards to an unsupported carrier, it would reappear since my phone is unlocked. Also the network apparently is "LTE certified". I just flipped the toggle switch on and off. Before it would give me a warning that the network wasn't certified. With the Carrier Update, it does not give me that message.

As for buildings, it depends on the construction of the building. Most people don't get that.

Correction: You can still select the network under Carrier to be Manual or Automatic, but I leave it on Automatic. Never toggled this switch.
    Last edited by Driver8666; 12-06-2017 at 04:35 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by qag01 View Post
    Away is allowed in fringe (Variable) areas

^^Not necessarily...........It is hit and miss in my area, as I am right on the border of supposed 'Home' coverage. Sometimes I can roam and other times it is not allowed. Whether this is a GPS issue, Freedom Geo-fence problem or not, I can't say.

Bottom line is, the customer should be allowed to decide on whether he wants to invoke roaming costs or not. It should not be the carriers sole decision.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    ^^Not necessarily...........It is hit and miss in my area, as I am right on the border of supposed 'Home' coverage. Sometimes I can roam and other times it is not allowed. Whether this is a GPS issue, Freedom Geo-fence problem or not, I can't say.

Bottom line is, the customer should be allowed to decide on whether he wants to invoke roaming costs or not. It should not be the carriers sole decision.
    Variable zones exist mainly due to a RoBellUs tower overlapping home coverage (some Away towers cover both areas with home coverage, and areas without, and therefore must be whitelisted). It's likely that you are picking up service from a tower that "doesn't" cover your area by Freedom/RoBellUs's estimates