Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why is cricket pushing unlimited?

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-tmb rugby 3
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Why is cricket pushing unlimited?

Personally, I like the idea. Appears a slick way of getting customers away from the 5/$100.

Feedback Score
    I haven't been following the other prepaid offers closely, but seems like metro and cricket are having an unlimited battle. We benefit from savings money but at the sacrifice of slower speeds with the unlimited 2 promo.

As a $5/100 5gb group plan coordinator, I will say that the 5/$125 unlimited 2 is tempting. But most of my lines use less than 1gb a month so it would only benefit 1 or 2 lines. The Mexico/Canada usage would be a plus if I actually even went anywhere.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I think in the future everything will be unlimited and it will all be speed based.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Why is cricket pushing unlimited?

Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    I think the better question is Why is cricket pushing highly throttled unlimited?
    But still very usable for many apparently.

It gives them a solid income stream that will stay put and not mess up the network by using super high speeds.
    They will and can make the capacity they have work for these folks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Personally, I like the idea. Appears a slick way of getting customers away from the 5/$100.
    What are you talking about,? Everybody is going unlimited high speed, if anything Cricket is late.

Feedback Score
    Well the answer is simple, to drive revenue. Same reason every other carrier pushes unlimited. Even if someone will only use 3gb of data a month, they will pay more for an unlimited plan. Why? Because it sounds better to them, they will use the "what if" mentality. What if I need it? It works out great for the carriers also, the majority of users don't use anywhere near enough data to justify using an unlimited plan, so the carriers have people paying for unlimited plans and using 5-10 gb of data a month. Why wouldn't you push that as a carrier.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    Well the answer is simple, to drive revenue. Same reason every other carrier pushes unlimited. Even if someone will only use 3gb of data a month, they will pay more for an unlimited plan. Why? Because it sounds better to them, they will use the "what if" mentality. What if I need it? It works out great for the carriers also, the majority of users don't use anywhere near enough data to justify using an unlimited plan, so the carriers have people paying for unlimited plans and using 5-10 gb of data a month. Why wouldn't you push that as a carrier.
    This is my guess too.

Feedback Score

This.

They want to drive average revenue per sub upwards. You do that by giving people perceived value for something they probably won't use and charge them more for it.

Data is cheap. That is something people don't realize. Data is dirt cheap. So offering you unlimited for $25 more a month on 5 lines over the old plan is a huge win for them. They get 25% more money from whoever switches and the actual cost to them for the extra bandwidth is under a penny per gig.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    I think the better question is Why is cricket pushing highly throttled unlimited?
    But still very usable for many apparently.

It gives them a solid income stream that will stay put and not mess up the network by using super high speeds.
    They will and can make the capacity they have work for these folks.
    It fits with the AT&T strategy around unlimited. More or less like AT&T Unlimited Choice and AT&T prepaid unlimited.

Realistically, it is enough bandwidth to stream most video and pretty much all audio. That tends to be what people use on-phone data for.

I’ve used it with Amazon, Hulu, Netflix for video. They work.

People, including me, like not having to worry about watching their data usage. From a network perspective, there is less strain with SD video. For those that don't really need HD video and 20Mbps download speeds, 4 lines for $100 with AT&T native coverage is a nice deal.

I wouldn't want to live with 3Mbps on a tablet, but the AT&T $30/month unlimited option is a nice way to approach tablets as it isn't throttled to 3Mbps.
    Last edited by mch; 12-06-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Well since I’ve had unlimited I don’t worry anymore about rationing data. I stream all the time: dtvnow, YouTube, Netflix, Apple Music, amazon music, etc. will probably hit the 22gb super throttle limit.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Well said. It would be nice if there was lower cost options on cricket for just a stand alone talk and text plan like 15$ a month as my kids don't really even need data. but the goal is to increase revenue which I understand. Back in Tha day when I rolled the beeper it was only 7 a month then you 1800 collect call me back!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Well since I’ve had unlimited I don’t worry anymore about rationing data. I stream all the time: dtvnow, YouTube, Netflix, Apple Music, amazon music, etc. will probably hit the 22gb super throttle limit.
    It's not a throttle point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

I feel the same way about unlimited voice and text, but that ship sailed a few years ago. My usage is primarily data. I rarely use voice and only occasionally use SMS (messaging mostly happens via data).

Unlimited everything does, at least, cover all the use cases.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joyfuldad View Post
    Well said. It would be nice if there was lower cost options on cricket for just a stand alone talk and text plan like 15$ a month as my kids don't really even need data. but the goal is to increase revenue which I understand. Back in Tha day when I rolled the beeper it was only 7 a month then you 1800 collect call me back!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using HoFo mobile app
    Look into red pocket.. they have something like that ..

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cell_Phone33 View Post
    Look into red pocket.. they have something like that ..

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using HoFo mobile app
    So does us mobile, and cricket has the $25 no data plan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast