Thread: iPhone SE for $99

Feedback Score

iPhone SE for $99

I see cricket has this deal right now. Iím buying my son a phone for Christmas, but donít want to put it on my AT&T plan yet.

Can I buy this and activate it, then port over to AT&T eventually? Iíd be ok with keeping the bare minimum Cricket plan on it for the bare minimum of time.

Thanks for your help!

Feedback Score
    It will work on AT&T after you unlock it. You can either wait 6 months to unlock, pay for an unlocking service ($70ish?) or sign up on unlimited plan for instant unlock. Cheapest route would be to buy phone with cheapest plan $30 and then when there is only a week left in your cycle upgrade to unlimited and only pay the increased price for one week. Then request unlock code. Then at the end of the cycle just don't pay next month (no autopay!) so the line cancels.

By the way, I though best buy had these for $150 that would work on AT&T right away. Much be about the same cost buy without the hassle.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatie80 View Post
    I see cricket has this deal right now. Iím buying my son a phone for Christmas, but donít want to put it on my AT&T plan yet.

Can I buy this and activate it, then port over to AT&T eventually? Iíd be ok with keeping the bare minimum Cricket plan on it for the bare minimum of time.

Thanks for your help!
    Yes. I bought a Cricket iPhone SE, unlocked it, and it is now being used on AT&T postpaid.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

Thanks for your help!
    You can port anytime you want, are you trying to use the Cricket SE on a at&t account? You can port the number but that has nothing to do with the phone itself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
    It will work on AT&T after you unlock it. You can either wait 6 months to unlock, pay for an unlocking service ($70ish?) or sign up on unlimited plan for instant unlock. Cheapest route would be to buy phone with cheapest plan $30 and then when there is only a week left in your cycle upgrade to unlimited and only pay the increased price for one week. Then request unlock code. Then at the end of the cycle just don't pay next month (no autopay!) so the line cancels.

By the way, I though best buy had these for $150 that would work on AT&T right away. Much be about the same cost buy without the hassle.
    Oh ok, thatís good to know about Best Buy. Iíve never done anything more than getting a 2 year contract when they were still around and Iím pretty new to this whole unlocked phones and prepaid plans and how to work around it all for the best deal. If I can get one at Best Buy without messing around with all the other stuff, sounds like my best bet. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    Yes. I bought a Cricket iPhone SE, unlocked it, and it is now being used on AT&T postpaid.

How did you get it unlocked? Did you keep the service for any amount of time?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    You can port anytime you want, are you trying to use the Cricket SE on a at&t account? You can port the number but that has nothing to do with the phone itself.
    Yes I do want to use it on AT&T eventually. But out of the box I only really need it on WiFi(so basically an iPod Touch) until Iím ready for my son to have a phone( or until I hear AT&T changes unlimited plus plans!) so I was thinking this might be an option to only have bare minimum service for a time, then get it unlocked and switch to AT&T.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How did you get it unlocked? Did you keep the service for any amount of time?
    I signed up on the unlimited plan for a month, unlocked during the third week of service and then let the line die after one month of service. Then I put an AT&T SIM card in it and it worked.

There are many reports about just switching to an unlimited plan for only a short amount of time--and I don't doubt any of them. I didn't want to give Cricket any excuse to not honor the unlock (since the phone was for a family member who wouldn't know what to do if, for some inexplicable reason, the phone locked up). Is that an unlikely/paranoid scenario? Yes, but the peace of mind was worth paying an extra $20.

Feedback Score
    Cricket is changing the unlock policy to 6 months for the unlimited plan effective Jan 4 2018. Am exception for current unlimited plans who purchased a phone before the plan change date, those phone can still be unlocked immediately.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Hopefully people who wish to unlock on Cricket read this!

Hopefully people who wish to unlock on Cricket read this!

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    Cricket is changing the unlock policy to 6 months for the unlimited plan effective Jan 4 2018. Am exception for current unlimited plans who purchased a phone before the plan change date, those phone can still be unlocked immediately.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all for helping me through this! So if I buy the Cricket phone and the one month unlimited plan, I just need to request an unlock and then cancel before the one month isup. Right? (Sorry for repetitive questions. Just want to make sure I do it right!)

Device(s)
    Moto X 2014
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you all for helping me through this! So if I buy the Cricket phone and the one month unlimited plan, I just need to request an unlock and then cancel before the one month isup. Right? (Sorry for repetitive questions. Just want to make sure I do it right!)
    That’s the simplest way to do it. If you want to save a few dollars, you can use the procedure that theFisch described above where you sign up with a cheaper plan and then upgrade to the Unlimited plan in the third week, request the unlock and then let the plan expire by not paying for the next month. You will be charged the prorated difference between the cheaper plan and the Unlimited for the days that the Unlimited plan was in effect in the first month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    That’s the simplest way to do it. If you want to save a few dollars, you can use the procedure that theFisch described above where you sign up with a cheaper plan and then upgrade to the Unlimited plan in the third week, request the unlock and then let the plan expire by not paying for the next month. You will be charged the prorated difference between the cheaper plan and the Unlimited for the days that the Unlimited plan was in effect in the first month.
    Thanks! I ended up stopping at the AT&T store to have them stop service on a tablet and they talked me into adding the line with them(yeah, Iím a sucker!) as it turned out, after they processed the order the phone wouldnít be here til after Christmas. So I told them that wouldnít work, they sold me their prepaid SE for $99 for all my troubles. So I got a pretty great deal in the end after all.

I plan to always buy unlocked/prepaid/no contract phones in one way or another from now on so I appreciate everyoneís help. Itís nice not to add to my bill for once.

Feedback Score
    Thanks! I ended up stopping at the AT&T store to have them stop service on a tablet and they talked me into adding the line with them(yeah, Iím a sucker!) as it turned out, after they processed the order the phone wouldnít be here til after Christmas. So I told them that wouldnít work, they sold me their prepaid SE for $99 for all my troubles. So I got a pretty great deal in the end after all.

I plan to always buy unlocked/prepaid/no contract phones in one way or another from now on so I appreciate everyoneís help. Itís nice not to add to my bill for once.
    Good deal, great little phone. In don't think there's a phone around for $100 that's going to run as well as the SE, I just wish it was 5in!