Thread: Is This A Good Idea? (J3 Luna Pro from Tracfone/HSN)

Feedback Score

Question Is This A Good Idea? (J3 Luna Pro from Tracfone/HSN)

I'm currently a infrequent user of feature phones as I grew up as more of a PC guy and primarily use mobile phones for emergencies and hardly ever text. That said, I am looking to buy a proper smartphone for the first time, and will use WiFi at home for most of my data/app usage.

Based on what I've read here on the forum, it looks like the Tracfone-branded J3 Luna Pro deal from HSN (S327VL + 1200 Minutes/Texts/MBs of mobile data + 365 days of service for $90) looks like something that would work for me, especially since I live in an area where Verizon is the best network in terms of signal strength. I do have a couple questions, however:

• Would it be worthwhile get the S727VL "J7 Sky Pro" + service deal for $150 instead due to it having a slightly larger screen (5.5" vs 5", both 720p), more RAM (2GB vs 1.5GB) and a better set of cameras (8/5 MP vs 5/2 MP)? The screen size and camera differences are somewhat less relevant to me, but I'd really like to know if the RAM increase would make a significant difference or not.

• If I have extra minutes/texts/MBs left near the end of the 365-day service period, would it be possible to buy another Tracfone-branded phone + service deal at that point and transfer those extra bits to the new phone?

• If so, would it be possible to keep the first phone as an inactivated backup which could subsequently be re-activated if the new phone was eventually lost or damaged?

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm pretty new to the entire smartphone thing so any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not much of a difference in performance between 1.5GB and 2GB of RAM, especially if you are not a "power user" who runs multi apps at the same time.

Yes, you can always transfer you current phone number and balance to another new/inactive phone on Tracfone; the old phone can be reactivated if desired. Some people here like their current phone, buy and transfer to a cheaper phone to get the bundled time & units, then transfer back to the better phone.
    Last edited by hpham; 12-06-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    You might want to stop by Best Buy and physically hold different size phones. Just because it says 5" (diagonal) the width of each phone might be different, and that will also affect the phone height.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C8H10N4O2 View Post
    You might want to stop by Best Buy and physically hold different size phones. Just because it says 5" (diagonal) the width of each phone might be different, and that will also affect the phone height.
    That's true. My 5" LG Phoenix 2 feels and even looks quite a bit smaller than my 5" Moto E4, despite there being only a little difference in size on paper.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Also note the SIM size of the Tracfone`s you consider purchasing. Because you can just move the SIM to another phone, if both use the same size. This allows the use of a BYOP. But if the SIM is tied to a phones IMEI, as is the case with ALL Tracfone/Verizon, you cannot allow anyone to try and re-activate it - only one active SIM per IMEI. Tracfone branded AT&T phones also have the SIM and IMEI tied because they ask for both the IMEI and the SIM S/N at activation. But NOT with AT&T BYOP - all Tracfone asks for is the SIM S/N, never the IMEI.

But when you buy a new bundle next year you must move your current service and phone number to the new bundle to receive the bundled airtime, thus freeing up the old phone/SIM for re-activation. Verizon SIM`s can be re-actuated, AT&T SIM`s cannot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by svenge View Post
    [*]Would it be worthwhile get the S727VL "J7 Sky Pro" + service deal for $150 instead due to it having a slightly larger screen (5.5" vs 5", both 720p), more RAM (2GB vs 1.5GB) and a better set of cameras (8/5 MP vs 5/2 MP)?
    There are 2 Galaxy J7 Sky Pro deals on HSN. One with 1000/1000/1000/6 months service for $80, and another with 1200/1200/1200/1 year service for $150.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    There are 2 Galaxy J7 Sky Pro deals on HSN. One with 1000/1000/1000/6 months service for $80, and another with 1200/1200/1200/1 year service for $150.
    He would do better ordering two bundles; the $80 HSN Sky Pro and the $60 QVC Rebel 2. Both with Verizon service.
    After transferring-activating twice he would have 2500/2500/2500 & 1.5 years (plus original phone`s airtime & days) for $140.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the responses, they were quite helpful. I do have another question, though. It says on the HSN listing that "Promotional minutes are not transferable and are only guaranteed on the handset included in the order", but is that proviso ever actually enforced by Tracfone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Also note the SIM size of the Tracfone`s you consider purchasing. Because you can just move the SIM to another phone, if both use the same size. This allows the use of a BYOP. But if the SIM is tied to a phones IMEI, as is the case with ALL Tracfone/Verizon, you cannot allow anyone to try and re-activate it - only one active SIM per IMEI. Tracfone branded AT&T phones also have the SIM and IMEI tied because they ask for both the IMEI and the SIM S/N at activation. But NOT with AT&T BYOP - all Tracfone asks for is the SIM S/N, never the IMEI.

But when you buy a new bundle next year you must move your current service and phone number to the new bundle to receive the bundled airtime, thus freeing up the old phone/SIM for re-activation. Verizon SIM`s can be re-actuated, AT&T SIM`s cannot.
    So I have a iPhone 5S with expired minutes from Tracfone and if I purchase a HSN/QVC Tracfone, I can swap the sim into the iPhone with no issue? Btw, my expired minutes ran on Verizon if that matters. Thanks

Feedback Score
    I'm currently a infrequent user of feature phones as I grew up as more of a PC guy and primarily use mobile phones for emergencies and hardly ever text. That said, I am looking to buy a proper smartphone for the first time, and will use WiFi at home for most of my data/app usage.

Based on what I've read here on the forum, it looks like the Tracfone-branded J3 Luna Pro deal from HSN (S327VL + 1200 Minutes/Texts/MBs of mobile data + 365 days of service for $90) looks like something that would work for me, especially since I live in an area where Verizon is the best network in terms of signal strength. I do have a couple questions, however:

• Would it be worthwhile get the S727VL "J7 Sky Pro" + service deal for $150 instead due to it having a slightly larger screen (5.5" vs 5", both 720p), more RAM (2GB vs 1.5GB) and a better set of cameras (8/5 MP vs 5/2 MP)? The screen size and camera differences are somewhat less relevant to me, but I'd really like to know if the RAM increase would make a significant difference or not.

• If I have extra minutes/texts/MBs left near the end of the 365-day service period, would it be possible to buy another Tracfone-branded phone + service deal at that point and transfer those extra bits to the new phone?

• If so, would it be possible to keep the first phone as an inactivated backup which could subsequently be re-activated if the new phone was eventually lost or damaged?

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm pretty new to the entire smartphone thing so any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
    S327VL
    5.547″ x 2.760″ x 0.343″, 5.079 oz.
    2600 mAh removable battery
    Nano SIM

S727VL
    6.0" x 3.09" x 0.30", 5.89 oz.
    Removable Li-Ion 3300 mAh battery
    Nano SIM

The J7 will be noticeably bigger and heavier.

The 5 MP camera of the J3 may be noticeably worse for pictures to enjoy looking at. Either would do fine to just document things.

Others have covered the other questions.

An inactivated phone can still be used to call 911 and on Wifi for data.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the responses, they were quite helpful. I do have another question, though. It says on the HSN listing that "Promotional minutes are not transferable and are only guaranteed on the handset included in the order", but is that proviso ever actually enforced by Tracfone?
    Yes, the promo units must be activated on the promo phone initially. They can be transferred to another phone later. Years ago it was just a units card that could be used on any phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by svenge
    I do have another question, though. It says on the HSN listing that "Promotional minutes are not transferable and are only guaranteed on the handset included in the order", but is that proviso ever actually enforced by Tracfone?
    That only means you have to activate the HSN phone to get the included days & minutes. After activation, you can transfer those days & minutes. In the old days, the days & minutes came on a separate time card. People used the card on their current phone, and sold the new phone unactivated.

Feedback Score
    Ah, I see. So once it's activated properly, the minutes on the HSN phone are (for the purposes of transferring later) indistinguishable from minutes purchased from a traditional prepaid airtime card then?
    Last edited by svenge; 12-07-2017 at 04:26 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So once it's activated properly, the minutes on the HSN phone are (for the purposes of transferring later) indistinguishable from minutes purchased from a traditional prepaid airtime card then?
    That's correct.