Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: iPhone X Reception

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Yeah it does, the X16. It's just not paired with 4x4 MIMO. The Snapdragon X20 isn't out yet.
    Yeah, that's the X's main problem. Also, for AT&T users, it doesn't have B14 (although nothing else mainstream does either), and for T-Mobile customers, B71 was a massive miss.

LAA is pretty useless, since you have to very close to a site for it to work. The notch is unfortunate, as they should have eliminated it in software, leaving the area below the notch available to apps and keeping battery/signal up top.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The notch is actually a brilliant marketing move. Phones these days are basically just all screen, with nothing to visually differentiate the front. Adding a notch makes the iPhone X instantly recognizable, which sets it apart.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The notch is actually a brilliant marketing move. Phones these days are basically just all screen, with nothing to visually differentiate the front. Adding a notch makes the iPhone X instantly recognizable, which sets it apart.
    That and the vertical camera. I can spot a X across a room or restaurant now as a result. I understand the issue with the front sensors interfering with the traditional dual camera design, but you can't help but think that it was also branding.

Feedback Score
    Yeah it does, the X16. It's just not paired with 4x4 MIMO. The Snapdragon X20 isn't out yet.
    This has nothing to do with the X but do you or anyone know if the pixel 2 is 4x4 MIMO capable.

Feedback Score

iPhone X Reception

[QUOTE=GSMinCT;16938451]Yeah, that's the X's main problem. Also, for AT&T users, it doesn't have B14 (although nothing else mainstream does either), and for T-Mobile customers, B71 was a massive miss.

LAA is pretty useless, since you have to very close to a site for it to work. The notch is unfortunate, as they should have eliminated it in software, leaving the area below the notch available to apps and keeping battery/signal up top.[/

With the carriers deploying tons of small cells in urban areas I wouldn’t say LAA is useless . In fact it will help to ease congestion in dense urban areas, concerts, airports, stadiums etc. Any of those areas where there are tons of data usage. Eventually they’ll be able to do LAA where it will co exist with spectrum from a nearby tower

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    If the carriers deploy dense small cells so I wouldn’t say LAA is useless. In fact it will help to ease congestion in dense urban areas, concerts, airports, stadiums etc. Any of those areas where there are tons of data usage. Eventually they’ll be able to do LAA where it will co exist with spectrum from a nearby tower
    Strongly agreed. I'd like to see carrier-agnostic LAA in my local shopping malls, schools, universities, and hospitals, for example.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    This has nothing to do with the X but do you or anyone know if the pixel 2 is 4x4 MIMO capable.
    It is not gigabit LTE capable, I believe the missing piece of 4x4 MIMO, but I could be wrong.

With the carriers deploying tons of small cells in urban areas I wouldn’t say LAA is useless . In fact it will help to ease congestion in dense urban areas, concerts, airports, stadiums etc. Any of those areas where there are tons of data usage. Eventually they’ll be able to do LAA where it will co exist with spectrum from a nearby tower
    To be fair, most of the areas I frequent are pretty much coverage-limited, served in 2-mile segments by 120-200' macro sites. I believe LAA has to stand down if there is Wi-Fi around in the same spectrum, so on the open street, it's not going to do much. The one place I could see it being a benefit is in a highly controlled environment that is extremely high density like a stadium or concert hall, although that's just a cop out for the wireless provider, as it allows them to slightly decrease the density of cells needed to properly cover the venue. I don't think airports need it, most airports are fine on one macro, the big ones have some sort of DAS or multiple macros, and they work fine now, as it's not nearly as dense of a crowd, and it's not a crowd that is doing stuff relatively in unison (like during a media timeout at a sports game, or intermission at a concert), so the load is a lot easier to manage.

Strongly agreed. I'd like to see carrier-agnostic LAA in my local shopping malls, schools, universities, and hospitals, for example.
    Shopping malls- typically a single nearby macro is fine to cover a mall. The issue is penetration through a lot of corrugated steel on concrete, not capacity, so the macro needs to be close.

Schools- similar to malls. Large college campuses need multiple macros.

Hospitals- definitely don't need LAA, but many of them have penetration issues. A DAS or a very close macro would help.

As you can tell, I'm not a huge fan of small sites at all. Venue-specific DAS is a good idea where appropriate. Between those and macros, they can cover most situations. I view Verizon's small cell building spree as an oopsie because they didn't buy enough spectrum to support the Unlimited market off of a primarily macro network.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I actually agree. They made it in the same design as the previous generations I would not have been able to tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    It is not gigabit LTE capable, I believe the missing piece of 4x4 MIMO, but I could be wrong.

To be fair, most of the areas I frequent are pretty much coverage-limited, served in 2-mile segments by 120-200' macro sites. I believe LAA has to stand down if there is Wi-Fi around in the same spectrum, so on the open street, it's not going to do much. The one place I could see it being a benefit is in a highly controlled environment that is extremely high density like a stadium or concert hall, although that's just a cop out for the wireless provider, as it allows them to slightly decrease the density of cells needed to properly cover the venue. I don't think airports need it, most airports are fine on one macro, the big ones have some sort of DAS or multiple macros, and they work fine now, as it's not nearly as dense of a crowd, and it's not a crowd that is doing stuff relatively in unison (like during a media timeout at a sports game, or intermission at a concert), so the load is a lot easier to manage.

Shopping malls- typically a single nearby macro is fine to cover a mall. The issue is penetration through a lot of corrugated steel on concrete, not capacity, so the macro needs to be close.

Schools- similar to malls. Large college campuses need multiple macros.

Hospitals- definitely don't need LAA, but many of them have penetration issues. A DAS or a very close macro would help.

As you can tell, I'm not a huge fan of small sites at all. Venue-specific DAS is a good idea where appropriate. Between those and macros, they can cover most situations. I view Verizon's small cell building spree as an oopsie because they didn't buy enough spectrum to support the Unlimited market off of a primarily macro network.
    I’m certainly not arguing about Verizon’s spectrum position, they definitely need to buy more and an acquisition with Dish would be ideal for them. AT&T has no capacity issues except their fragmented spectrum in some markets ( NYC being one , but speeds are holding up well with CA). We’ll see how LAA evolves, eventually they’ll be able to use that spectrum in tandem with licensed spectrum from the macro network.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm not a huge fan of small sites at all. Venue-specific DAS is a good idea where appropriate. Between those and macros, they can cover most situations. I view Verizon's small cell building spree as an oopsie because they didn't buy enough spectrum to support the Unlimited market off of a primarily macro network.
    I strongly disagree about small cell sites being a suboptimal situation. They enable such high spectral reuse that reliably sky-high peak speeds become technically feasible. Also, they lay a strong foundation for truly mobile millimeter wave service come next decade.

I want small cells on every street corner of every city and suburb!

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I believe LAA has to stand down if there is Wi-Fi around in the same spectrum, so on the open street, it's not going to do much.
    I'm going to snip out and respond to just this one chunk. LAA uses *ALL* 5GHz Wi-Fi channels. Most home units (read all of them but one) only use a fraction of the 5GHz channels, because Dynamic Frequency Selection is a requirement to use the others and manufacturers don't want to bother with the cost when most 5GHz channels aren't used in a given area anyway. So in essence LAA can use every 5GHz band you can use today and a bunch you almost certain don't even have access to. It will work, and it will be good.

Feedback Score

iPhone X Reception

I strongly disagree about small cell sites being a suboptimal situation. They enable such high spectral reuse that reliably sky-high peak speeds become technically feasible. Also, they lay a strong foundation for truly mobile millimeter wave service come next decade.

I want small cells on every street corner of every city and suburb!
    Great post. Small cells work wonders for Verizon’s network in my market. Even in the suburbs where a macro can’t reach a particular area, they provide excellent coverage and speeds. AT&T has started deploying ODAS nodes in Manhattan and I’ve seen a difference in performance already. In the burbs they have zero small cells and the macro network simply can’t cover areas where small cells can.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Great post. Small cells do wonders for Verizon’s network in my market. Even in the suburbs where a macro can’t reach, they provide excellent coverage and speeds. AT&T has started deploying ODAS nodes in Manhattan and I’ve seen a difference in performance already. In the burbs they have zero small cells and the macro network simply can’t cover areas where small cells can.
    I know this is a stupid question to ask but what is the difference between small cells and macrocells

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I'm going to snip out and respond to just this one chunk. LAA uses *ALL* 5GHz Wi-Fi channels. Most home units (read all of them but one) only use a fraction of the 5GHz channels, because Dynamic Frequency Selection is a requirement to use the others and manufacturers don't want to bother with the cost when most 5GHz channels aren't used in a given area anyway. So in essence LAA can use every 5GHz band you can use today and a bunch you almost certain don't even have access to. It will work, and it will be good.
    Another great post. AT&T has deployed some LAA small cells in Indianapolis. One of their engineers posted a 650 Mbps download speed from the street about a block away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    I know this is a stupid question to ask but what is the difference between small cells and macrocells

http://www.rfwireless-world.com/Term...arge-cell.html

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast