Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: iPhone X Reception

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Yeah, they need to buy DISH. That's a much better solution than their spending spree on small cells, IMO.

I think they're an ugly mess, and I would rather that Verizon bought DISH and stopped building small cells. I think they are a cop out to a bad spectrum position. I'm all for the densification of macro sites up to a point. Unfortunately, the industry has embraced porking massive amounts of data in order to drive ARPU up in a never ending quest for more profits. I really wish that the industry had gone towards the model of how Project Fi charges for data, as if the whole industry were doing that, average data use would be a fraction of what it is today, mobile websites would be far leaner (or people would use browsers with compression proxies to save data), and we wouldn't really need small cells.

What I want is reliable data coverage across as much land mass as absolutely possible. I want a somewhat denser macro network, but not hugely so. I'm fine with one bar of LTE, as long as it's stable, and doesn't crap out on me inside a building or whatever. My ideal network would be spending far more on 250' lattice towers in the middle of nowhere, and far less on urban densification, combined with a pricing scheme that incentivized less data usage to make the supply and demand curves meet on an LTE network that is based on coverage, not capacity. Granted, some areas, like NYC, would need some additional capacity sites, but most markets would only need to be covered if data were charged by the MB. The inherent problem with my scheme is that data usage would drop, people's phone bills would go way down, customers would be happier, but Wall Street wouldn't be happy with lower margins against a backdrop of still fairly high fixed costs to operate a network.

Ugh. Hopefully it doesn't interfere badly with Wi-Fi. There are several DFS routers out there. I'm not sure what clients can actually connect to them though.

If they can't cover with macro sites, then their macro sites are too far apart. With B13 LTE, RRHs, and, where necessary, new/taller towers, Verizon should be able to cover everything just fine without small cells. LTE improves performance at weaker signal levels, so that's a benefit too.

The small cells I've seen are a heck of a lot bigger than a Wi-Fi router. More like several cabinets strapped to a telephone pole. They are ugly and poorly constructed, although they vary a lot city to city and region to region.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7513...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7516...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7585...7i13312!8i6656

I'm about 95% sure those are Verizon small cells, as they are NOT AT&T, and those are the two major carriers in Warwick.

What about B5/12/13? That's where you'd really want it for distance performance on a weak signal.
    Those small/micros are definitely a little obtrusive, but if they're adding capacity as needed I'm ok with that.

Perhaps as technology advances, the appearance and installation of these will become more streamlined.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    Those small/micros are definitely a little obtrusive, but if they're adding capacity as needed I'm ok with that.

Perhaps as technology advances, the appearance and installation of these will become more streamlined.
    Ugly is aubjective, but the construction is just poor. They tacked on a top to an existing pole, one of them is leaning over the road, it's a mess. They should have actually replaced the poles with bigger, taller poles that are strong enough to support everything on a single straight pole.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Ugly is aubjective, but the construction is just poor. They tacked on a top to an existing pole, one of them is leaning over the road, it's a mess. They should have actually replaced the poles with bigger, taller poles that are strong enough to support everything on a single straight pole.
    I agree, I was just trying to be more tactful...

LMAO!!!!!!!

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    I agree, I was just trying to be more tactful...

LMAO!!!!!!!
    Yeah, I'd rather see them do things the right way the first time around, as they are going to rub a lot of people the wrong way with this stuff.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have been using my iPhone X on Verizon since Nov. 3, and haven’t had any issues at all with reception compared to my old 7 Plus. I have not been in an area yet where I didn’t have an LTE signal on the X.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen89 View Post
    I have been using my iPhone X on Verizon since Nov. 3, and haven’t had any issues at all with reception compared to my old 7 Plus. I have not been in an area yet where I didn’t have an LTE signal on the X.
    As in, you had issues with your iP7 plus? Or your X and 7 plus work about the same?

I upgraded to the iP8 because I always thought that my iP7 had issues with reception. So far, no issues with the iP8 at all. Seems to work better than the iP7.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I didn't like the direction the iPhones were going in recent models but after playing with a friends X I like it more than I expected

Are reception issues with it the norm? I haven't read all of the posts yet

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

iPhone X Reception

Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I didn't like the direction the iPhones were going in recent models but after playing with a friends X I like it more than I expected

Are reception issues with it the norm? I haven't read all of the posts yet
    I have the 8plus and I don’t seem to have any reception issues but I don’t have anything else to compare it to other than a Verizon hotspot.

I do on occasion get people complaining that they can’t hear me that well but I also don’t put the phone right next to my mouth when I talk.

I also have had some issues with Apples hardware choice as of late. I really don’t like the idea that they never adopt the latest cell technologies till a year or more after they come out. IMO the cellular modem should be the center of the device and everything else should be built around it. After all a HD crystal clear screen is no good of a video is buffering. It’s frustrating to know my IPhone 8 has a chip in it that can do LAA and 4x4 MIMO but it’s either disabled or doesn’t have the appropriate antenna. This is why I may really consider the S9 when it comes out.

Knowing Apple I’m sure Verizon will have a live 5G Network before Apple even puts in LAA and 4x4 MIMO into any iPhone. Lol.

Feedback Score
    I am the OP and got an iPhone X several weeks ago. So far there is no difference in reception as compared to my old iPhone 7.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    I am the OP and got an iPhone X several weeks ago. So far there is no difference in reception as compared to my old iPhone 7.
    I notice a big difference in reception with my iPhone X and 8 compared to my 6s. I use to never get band 4 in my house and now I do

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6