Thread: Tethering workaround

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Tethering workaround

So I have a unlocked galaxy s7. The hotspot feature shows up. I’m on the $80 unlimited plan. The hotspot worked great for the first few months. Now it still works and I can connect to it but it really does not work anymore. So I’m assuming they are throttling or something the tethering part. Is there some way to circumvent this? Do I need to root? I’ve tried all the usual suspects on the google play store for the the tethering/hotspot and no bueno. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Feedback Score
    you could try rooting your phone or try apps like foxfi or pda net. the unlimited plan doesn't include hotspot (or so i'm told)

Feedback Score
    The best workaround is to switch to a plan that allows it. Verizon can detect when you are tethering to a PC and may cut off your account if you try to violate the policy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    So I have a unlocked galaxy s7. The hotspot feature shows up. I’m on the $80 unlimited plan. The hotspot worked great for the first few months. Now it still works and I can connect to it but it really does not work anymore. So I’m assuming they are throttling or something the tethering part.
    You likely went over some data use point (10 GB?) and they locked you out. Does data work otherwise when it stops tethering?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You likely went over some data use point (10 GB?) and they locked you out. Does data work otherwise when it stops tethering?
    Data on phone works fine. Yeah they must have locked me out. The first few months it worked great but now they have it locked down. Fortunately this is just a backup phone for when att does not have service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    Data on phone works fine. Yeah they must have locked me out. The first few months it worked great but now they have it locked down. Fortunately this is just a backup phone for when att does not have service.
    did your phone get any security/firmware updates ?? i've heard of some that have gotten an update of some sorts and hotspot and other features were working before the updates, any way after the phone updated features like hotspot quit working. you could try resetting the network settings to see if hotspot feature starts working again.