Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Verizon to pay $2.25 billion to NFL for five-year streaming deal

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-v...-idUSKBN1E51FN

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Verizon Communications Inc will pay around $2.25 billion for a five-year partnership with the National Football League that allows users to stream games on its Yahoo and go90 platforms as well as on mobile devices, a source told Reuters on Monday.

Under the partnership, Verizon renews its agreement to stream NFL games on its mobile devices but loses its exclusive rights to the airings.

Representatives from Verizon and the NFL declined to comment on the financial terms of the deal but the No.1 U.S. wireless carrier said the deal will go into effect in January with streaming of NFL playoff games on Yahoo and Yahoo Sports, in addition to the go90 streaming platform and the NFL mobile app.

The partnership will also include mobile access to jointly-developed original content, Verizon said.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    2.5 billion !!!

Device(s)
    Samsung S7
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    My ? Is will this cost $ on other carriers monthly or be free ?

Currently it's data free on VzW

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    LTE its the network !

Feedback Score
    I'm sure there will be exceptions, but I suppose this will continue the trend of congestion that I have noticed in a number of markets in the western US.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HFNube View Post
    I'm sure there will be exceptions, but I suppose this will continue the trend of congestion that I have noticed in a number of markets in the western US.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    The only good thing is that since NFL games are nights and weekends I don’t think congestion will be much of an issue. Here in Pittsburgh we don’t see congestion issues at night as often but I’m sure if you give a million Steelers fans the option to stream the game then that will change.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    The only good thing is that since NFL games are nights and weekends I don’t think congestion will be much of an issue. Here in Pittsburgh we don’t see congestion issues at night as often but I’m sure if you give a million Steelers fans the option to stream the game then that will change.
    The good news is that now it can screw the other carriers, too.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Come on Verizon, focus on your network and not wasting money on this stuff.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    The good news is that now it can screw the other carriers, too.
    Yup but to be honest unless your not at home or trying to watch an out of market game I cant figure out why anyone company would spend that much money on mobile streaming rights.

80% of Steelers games are on NBC here and for like 20 bucks you can buy an HD antenna and watch all the games for free.

Now if hockey games weren’t on root sports/att sports network which doesn’t broadcast over antenna then I would be set.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Yup but to be honest unless your not at home or trying to watch an out of market game I cant figure out why anyone company would spend that much money on mobile streaming rights.

80% of Steelers games are on NBC here and for like 20 bucks you can buy an HD antenna and watch all the games for free.

Now if hockey games weren’t on root sports/att sports network which doesn’t broadcast over antenna then I would be set.
    I can't comprehend the original arrangement either. A phone is the very last place I would ever want to watch long form video. A clip now and then? Sure. A freaking sports game?!?!?! NO.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Yeah, 2.5 billion will buy a lot of towers/small cells/and spectrum.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    I also wish mobile networks would stop trying to bundle entertainment crap with their own chopped down version of everything. If Verizon wants to get into the entertainment business then buy dish network like att did with DirecTv and give the customer the option to buy dish/sling tv at a reduced rate. Now Verizon Wireless has to absorb 2.5 billion (which will get passed along to the customer regardless if you watch any football games or not) vs Verizon Corp.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Who in the world wants to watch a football game on a tiny screen? I'd rather watch it on an actual TV with my DirecTV subscription..

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Who in the world wants to watch a football game on a tiny screen? I'd rather watch it on an actual TV with my DirecTV subscription..
    The bad part is that if it’s a local game you can likely get it for free on your actual TV with an HD antenna that you can get for like 20 bucks but obviously that depends on what market your in.

Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    My team sucks donkeys so it's hard enough watching them on a TV. No desire to watch them on a phone.

I remember signing up for that flo TV or whatever it was called through Verizon and it sucked. Seemed like 95% of the time it didn't work. Things are much better now I'm sure but back then it was hard watching anything video related on a slider phone.

Feedback Score
    I sure don’t understand why they did that, seems like there would have been VERY MANY much smarter ways for Verizon to spend 2.5 BILLION.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast