Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old Mobley Plan Caution

Feedback Score

Old Mobley Plan Caution

Do not try to make any changes at all if you have the grandfathered $20 unlimited plan. I have 2 of these lines and both were on the Mobleys untill one quit last month so I put the Sim in the unite pro. It worked fine and it kept saying upgrade available for both lines. I decided to do the upgrade through Best buy on the new Netgear router since their site also said keep existing plan and everything was eligible. The order went through fine on Saturday. Today I received a call from Best Buy saying the system had to confirm my identity and he put me on hold. I said make no changes to my plan and he said everything was fine and hung up. One of my lines immediately quit working and I checked my account and somehow they changed both my lines to the mobile share plan for $155 dollars. I called in and spent 2 hours on the phone and eventually the connected car department told me they don't have access to those plans anymore and that they would put in a request to restore it because it was their mistake for changing both my lines. I'm waiting to hear back but I'm not optimistic. I am very mad that changes were made without my permission. Unlimited car plans beware of anyone touching your account.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Odd. I ordered the Nighthawk via AT&T. I've received it and my plan hasn't changed. Although I still haven't even opened the box for the Nighthawk. I mainly did to lock in a 2 year contract. I'm currently using my sim card in a Mofi.

Feedback Score
    How long ago did you order it? I read somewhere originally you could upgrade with no problem but as of a few weeks ago they are now saying that connected car plans can't be upgraded even though it says upgrade available.

Sent from my SM-N950U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    Well you tried to upgrade to a device that doesn’t belong on the plan you have.. what did you think would happen? I mean come on is nice enough they don’t give us crap using hotspots on CCU... Misleading title. No need to caution, you were put on an appropriate plan.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by verizonil View Post
    How long ago did you order it? I read somewhere originally you could upgrade with no problem but as of a few weeks ago they are now saying that connected car plans can't be upgraded even though it says upgrade available.

I ordered in late October I believe.

Device(s)
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    I posted about this a while back. I upgraded but because I was impatient I set it up for in store pickup. The store would not let the router out of the store without activating it. They could not activate it without out changing the plan. The store manager was too lazy to cancel the order and said in 3 days the order would cancel on its own. It did cancel but my account still showed I used my upgrade and I was on a two contract. Had to call the 800 number to get it straightened out. I then reordered the router through the phone app and had it shipped to my house and all went fine. Now I am on my second Nighthawk with buggy firmware and its sitting on the shelf waiting for a firmware update and I'm back to using my explore.

Feedback Score
    Did it change your plan then go back? Mine has changed but they assure me it will be restored with the inactive pricing department.

Device(s)
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    Did it change your plan then go back? Mine has changed but they assure me it will be restored with the inactive pricing department.

My plan never changed from being a connected car plan, it just changed to a 2 year contract plan, it was still the $20 plan. They had to reverse the upgrade and put it back to month to month. All was fine after I made the call to the 800 number. Lesson was reinforced, never go to a store, do it on the phone with CS reps that know what they are doing or at least get help. Store people suck, not sure if it is lack of training or fear of looking stupid instead of admitting they don't know and getting help. I have nothing but problems when I go to store.

Feedback Score
    Today I received a call from Best Buy saying the system had to confirm my identity and he put me on hold. I said make no changes to my plan and he said everything was fine and hung up.
    I would have ended the call right there. Giving the Best Buy employee your personal info enabled him to make changes to your account, the same as any rep in an AT&T store.

I was very cautious when I purchased my Nighthawk to ensure I was getting it as a standalone device with no commitment to service. AT&T can't change your service via a basic SIM swap between devices.

At the time I ordered mine, AT&T was allowing users to "upgrade" their Mobley hotspot (or Unite Explore, in my case, as I'd done a prior SIM swap) so long as your hotspot had been paid in full. I feel many people miss this key point -- you *can not* do a device upgrade if the device is on an installment payment plan. When you order the device-only upgrade, they make it very clear that you're paying just for the device itself with no change to service. The purchase description even said it had a "dummy" SIM that needed to be swapped for an activated SIM.

Now, if AT&T changed their mind regarding their device upgrade policies or people are just generally paranoid: Wait for the Nighthawk to show up on eBay. Used hotspots are a huge reseller market. You'll end up paying pretty much full original MSRP for an open-box item, but there is zero risk involved as you're not interacting with AT&T at any point in the process of obtaining the device.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy View Post
    Well you tried to upgrade to a device that doesn’t belong on the plan you have.. what did you think would happen? I mean come on is nice enough they don’t give us crap using hotspots on CCU... Misleading title. No need to caution, you were put on an appropriate plan.
    This was highly touted in the Mobley thread with many people doing it without adverse effects.
    ATT 500GB WHPI /AT&T Unlimited Plus Multi Line:2015-Present
    Verizon: 2008-2016 (UDP)
    Sprint: 2008-2014
    Alltel:2005-2008
    Cingular:2006

Feedback Score
    Ya they keep assuring me the ticket will restore my plan by the 21st. Also it clearly says upgrade available on the app and said keep existing plan.

Feedback Score
    The $20 Connected Car unlimited standalone ('Mobley') plan is the freakin' deal of the century and I wouldn't mess with for any reason... no upgrade attempts, no changes, nothing. Some have succeeded without screwing things up but others have ended up with a big time-consuming mess to sort out. If you want another hotspot just get it on Amazon or Ebay or somewhere, it's just not worth the risk to attempt changes or upgrades through AT&T on a grandfathered plan.

Feedback Score
    It is an unbelievable deal and I'm grateful to be on it. What bothers me is how they are advertising it and I am getting a ton of ads about it. There is nothing on the connected car web page that makes me think one cannot sign up for a new Mobley for the $20.00 a month unlimited standalone plan, but I have friends who have been told they can not. Reading the fine print closely, the bits of text after the ***notes, and the entire web page all strongly suggest it should be available. It's borderline (or over the line) false and misleading.

Att.com/connectedcar

The ONLY thing it says that COULD mean it's not allowed as a standalone is that a new or existing wireless service is required. It does not say a voice-capable line, and with other sections describing the cost of adding it to unlimited plans, and another for adding it to capped plans, the only thing left is a new or existing wireless account for CC.

Rant off... And thread hijack over... But with.

Feedback Score
    I don't think it's intentionally misleading, just that there are some special things about the $20 CCU plan which can cause eligibility issues (Directv discount, upgrades, etc.) and these don't seem to be well handled by the billing system which in turn causes confusion among CSRs which in turn leads to problems. That doesn't mean it's excusable and agreed it shouldn't be that way but regardless... it's the way it is. Again, the $20 CCU plan is not a boat I would rock and to my mind not worth trying to save a few bucks on the upgrade but anyone who feels lucky can try it I guess

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregoryd View Post
    It is an unbelievable deal and I'm grateful to be on it. What bothers me is how they are advertising it and I am getting a ton of ads about it. There is nothing on the connected car web page that makes me think one cannot sign up for a new Mobley for the $20.00 a month unlimited standalone plan, but I have friends who have been told they can not. Reading the fine print closely, the bits of text after the ***notes, and the entire web page all strongly suggest it should be available. It's borderline (or over the line) false and misleading.

Att.com/connectedcar

The ONLY thing it says that COULD mean it's not allowed as a standalone is that a new or existing wireless service is required. It does not say a voice-capable line, and with other sections describing the cost of adding it to unlimited plans, and another for adding it to capped plans, the only thing left is a new or existing wireless account for CC.

Rant off... And thread hijack over... But with.
    You’re seeing ads for it because the unlimited car connect plan is still available but you can only add it to a compatible car with LTE.

So basically if someone was good with cars/electronics, they can order the built in LTE hotspot or go to a junk yard and remove one and power it for home use and get the $20 CCU plan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast