Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How can the police trace (or ping) a cell phone?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question How can the police trace (or ping) a cell phone?

Do they have a database of IMEI numbers that fall under certain names, or how do they do it? Tower triangulation? How can the networks even allow the police to do this without a subpoena or warrant?

Device(s)
    LG G5, G3, G Pad X 10.1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk214 View Post
    Do they have a database of IMEI numbers that fall under certain names, or how do they do it? Tower triangulation? How can the networks even allow the police to do this without a subpoena or warrant?
    It doesn't work the way it's portrayed in TV shows where law enforcement can "ping" a phone (even underground, per a recent Hawaii Five-0 episode!) and see on a screen who it is and where it is just like that.

911 call centers are able to try to get an estimate but even that depends on local technology. There was a case in a city where I used to live where first responders insisted on going to the "triangulation point" suggested by software based on the tower info they were able to obtain, but then ignored the actual locations of the towers and the terrain in considering the location and went to the wrong place. The guy died in the meantime. When I read about it in the paper, knowing where the high-powered 850 MHz sites really are, I said right away "No, the guy must have been out here as that's the only place where you could be in range of all those towers" -- and that was in fact the location.

I know carriers do share information with law enforcement/the NSA voluntarily; this has been well reported on. But the type of stuff you see on TV would require a subpoena/warrant, carrier cooperation, and would NOT happen in an instant to for example locate a criminal on the run and lead police right to the spot for a high-excitement car chase.
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper and Sensorly for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively to both projects in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Even if triangulation existed like on TV, police would need a court order to use it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using HoFo mobile app
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk214 View Post
    With a court order, the telcos are required to provide just about everything about a cellhphone by CALEA. Hint: web search CALEA.

Without the telco being involved and with different capabilities, they use IMSI catchers. Web search that too. Stingray is an example. Wander over to Ars Technica and do a search for Stingray - more info than you are probably interested in.

Whether an IMSI catcher requires a court order or not is a grey area and varies by state or other jurisdiction and is a contentious issue. It will get sorted out in the Supreme Court at some point.

Bottom line: If there is a way to communicate, the government(s) have a way to intercept and monitor it.

Feedback Score
    Lawful intercept can be used by police with court approval.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/doc...t/10LIovr.html

In terms of location capabilities, the phone's GPS, cellular triangulation and OTDOA are all examples of technologies that can be used.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You don't need a warrant if there is a life and death emergency. I.E. someone wants to commit suicide is sending goodbye messages and is on the move. In certain situations with a high probability of death or great bodily harm, there is no time (days) to get a warrant to get a GPS location of a device.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Republic wireless has a page on their website known as law enforcement guide which outlines the process of how a department or agency will follow to obtain information. https://republicwireless.com/legal/l...rcement-guide/
    Presumably it is a similar process for other carriers.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Can Police Track You Through Your Cellphone Without A Warrant?

"In this case, as in others, prosecutors argue that the Supreme Court has long viewed information shared by a consumer as fair game without a warrant. Even before the Stored Communications law was enacted, the high court ruled that you lose your Fourth Amendment right to privacy when you share information with a third party, like the phone company."

Everytime I am in a shopping center I get a notification from the shopping center or a store that may not know my name but they know my IMEI number that knows someone is there.... All this stuff is for sale so you already agreed to share it.

Anytime you call 911 from your cell phone they have your GPS tracking for rescue.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Anytime you call 911 from your cell phone they have your GPS tracking for rescue.
    Not exactly. You are referring to E911 services that is not fully implemented in many cities. Several years ago, laws were passed that required cellular carriers to start collecting taxes for E911 services, but many of those municipalities spent the money elsewhere leaving huge gaps.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If it’s an emergency situation, all we do is call the carrier and they ping it for us. Then we provide them paperwork to justify the ping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    App companies such as Uber can pinpoint my location within an acceptable margin of error but 911 still lags in pinpointing the general area for cell phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    App companies such as Uber can pinpoint my location within an acceptable margin of error but 911 still lags in pinpointing the general area for cell phones.
    Uber has your permission.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Uber has your permission.
    It is more than permission. 911 systems have not made the investment in technology even the states collect the e911 fee

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S6, iPad Mini 3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Are there really PSAP's out there who still can't do at least the Phase II requirements (lat/long) of E911? I sure don't know of any. Even the most rural and lightly populated counties in Michigan support this. I would be shocked if there were PSAP's anywhere in the country who still can't do at least that.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    Are there really PSAP's out there who still can't do at least the Phase II requirements (lat/long) of E911? I sure don't know of any. Even the most rural and lightly populated counties in Michigan support this. I would be shocked if there were PSAP's anywhere in the country who still can't do at least that.
    Yes there are plenty.. GA has quite a few that can only do Basic 911, and I think one area does not even have 911 dialing yet.

Sent from my SM-G892U using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast