Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Rant on Bell doing a promotional sales call

Feedback Score

Angry A Rant on Bell doing a promotional sales call

I got a call yesterday from Bell checking up on whether or not I was happy with Bell Services and I told them "I am great, thank you". They ask me if I was planning on any changes to my phone or plans and I mentioned yes I was interested in the iPhone X. Then they ask me if it was something I was considering immediately or deferred to the future.

I was waiting for a sales pitch, one that I could not refuse but once I said it wouldn't be immediate future, he did not give me any offers, however I persisted in asking what can you offer today?

He kept repeating that because he called me that this is only valid during this call and if I were to call back they will denied all offers. I said ok, so what can you offer me? and the best he could do was offer me 1 year $20 off per month with the plan going back up to full price of $125/month after a year on unlimited Canada/US with 4GB data.

Of course I just wanted to hear the offer and of course I turned it down after he again repeated that this offer was only good for the duration of the call.

He again asked me if I was happy and satisfied with Bell and I re-assured him that I will complete my term which ends in 5 months and probably renewed with any great offers at that time.

I thanked him and he thanked me for staying with bell..

After hanging up the phone, I felt like I just came out of a used car dealership. If I was satisfied before, I'm not satisfied now.
    1. Why am I pressured to accept an "over the phone offer" on a great deal or perhaps not so great a deal?
    2. Why can't I take a couple of days to think about it and just leave whatever offer in my records of conversation.
    3. why is bell phoning me?

When someone phones me, I am really leery about their intentions especially when they try to verified my credentials and luckily it seemed that he had all my information so I let down my guard somewhat.

First of all I really hate that all phone plans cannot be extended with new upgrades. A couple of years ago I had a great phone plan, not the best but acceptable priced at around $80/month. In order to upgrade I had to changeover to the new plans which brought my monthly cost to about $102/month.

In order to upgrade I would need to change over to a plan that is now in excess of $125/month. I cannot stay with my old plan of $102.

I can hear it in his voice, the sales pitch, the quick sale, especially when I said not immediately on the upgrade he didn't even bother to offer me an offer that I cannot refuse, he wanted to move on to the next phone call.

Am I happy? Absolutely not, but there isn't really that much of a choice and since there isn't much of a choice I am not going to be badgered into going into a new phone plan on a speed call sales.

A note to Bell if you are reading. If you call a customer, make an offer that gives them some time to think about it. Do NOT make it a sale pressure call.

A couple of years ago I thought about moving over to Wind, perhaps with that annoying sales call it is time to reconsider.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Mini 2, MacBook Pro 13”
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    The answer to your 3 question is the same: Pressure sale.

And holy macaroni, $125 for 4GB?! Damn, which province do you live in?

Sent from my iPhone 8 Plus on Bell’s network using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The guys who phone get paid commission and need to meet monthly targets or Bell does not pay them
    Imagine working a month for a company then failing to hit target so Bell says we won't pay you this month
    I actually feel sorry for most of those guys since Bell is scamming them just as hard as they try to scam you
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $9 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $20 per Month
    Telus SK North American Wide 7GB = $65
    Chatr (Mobi) $40 North America Wide + 6GB + 30 Mins Roaming

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Bell insider reveals high-pressure sales tactics required on every single call
    CBC Nov 20 2017

A longtime Bell Canada employee describes working in the company's Scarborough, Ont., call centre as "a non-stop nightmare," where she says she is forced to sell customers products they don't need, don't want, and may not understand, to hit sales targets and keep her job.

Andrea Rizzo, 50, has worked for Bell — Canada's largest telecom service provider — for 20 years, and says the pressure to upsell customers who call in has become relentless.

She says employees are expected to make a sale on every call.

Rizzo is currently on stress leave, and worries about the repercussions of making her concerns public, but says the status quo has to change.
    Meantime, she says, many of the top performers on her team are hitting goals by being unethical — not telling customers about a two-year contract, or that a promotional price is going to go up after a few months.

Those allegations, too, would be a violation of CRTC rules, known as The Wireless Code, which say telecoms have to clearly provide contract and price information, including when a promotional offer is going to expire.

Bell customers, employees flood CBC with complaints about high-pressure sales
    Consumer advocacy group calls for CRTC inquiry
    CBC Nov 22 2017

"Enough is enough," said Shaelene McInnis of Oshawa, Ont., who discovered that Bell was charging her aging in-laws for internet service, unbeknownst to them.

"They've never even turned on a computer!" McInnis said. "They have absolutely no need for internet services."
    "After fulfilling a two-year [cellphone] contract, I was told by a rep on the phone that because I was a valued customer, my phone would be upgraded for free," writes one Bell customer. It wasn't, she said, and her bill skyrocketed. "I fell hook, line and sinker."
    'Bell was hell'

A flood of Bell employees, past and present, are speaking out, too.

"I went on stress leave and returned to find things even worse when I came back," wrote a former manager who said "high-pressure sales tactics" and "employee mistreatment" were common.

A customer service rep said he and his colleagues "are actually penalized if we let a 'downgrade' go through without convincing the customer to keep the package or add more."

Many wrote about the extreme stress of trying to meet sales targets and the fear of losing their jobs.

"If you meet the stats, they raise them," wrote one customer service rep. "I've sat at my desk in tears many a day."

"Bell was hell," wrote a longtime employee who quit just a few years short of retirement because the culture was "toxic."

'Upsell their grieving relative'

Several Bell employees described a tipping point for them: taking calls from people requesting that an account be closed after a death.

"When a customer dies, we're still expected to save the service and upsell their grieving relative," one customer service rep wrote.
    Last edited by pjw918; 12-12-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyPuppy View Post
    The answer to your 3 question is the same: Pressure sale.

And holy macaroni, $125 for 4GB?! Damn, which province do you live in?

Sent from my iPhone 8 Plus on Bell’s network using Tapatalk Pro
    BC. That is with unlimited Can/US.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    The guys who phone get paid commission and need to meet monthly targets or Bell does not pay them
    Imagine working a month for a company then failing to hit target so Bell says we won't pay you this month
    I actually feel sorry for most of those guys since Bell is scamming them just as hard as they try to scam you
    I never knew that. I thought I was just imagining just a gun-ho sales guy.

Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    Bell insider reveals high-pressure sales tactics required on every single call
    CBC Nov 20 2017
    "When a customer dies, we're still expected to save the service and upsell their grieving relative," one customer service rep wrote.
    Good read....

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphael View Post
    I never knew that. I thought I was just imagining just a gun-ho sales guy.

Good read....
    Another funny thing about Bell is they actually PUNISH people who exceed sales targets
    Seriously

So underperform you do not get paid
    Overperform and they decrease your piece rate

Some of the things they do defy logic

Feedback Score
    Virgin spams me via SMS about their internet packages. Not sure why or how this is legal...

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    Virgin spams me via SMS about their internet packages. Not sure why or how this is legal...
    Existing business relationship is an exemption to law

Unless you contact and insist to get removed

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    You agreed to it in the fine print.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    CRTC urged to hold public inquiry into telecom industry’s sales tactics
    Canadian Press, Jan 9 2018

The federal broadcasting regulator is being urged to hold a public inquiry into the sales practices of the country's major telecommunications service providers.

The formal request to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission comes from the Public Interest Advocacy Centre, an Ottawa-based non-profit group that often battles with Canada's major telecommunications service providers.

PIAC executive director John Lawford on Monday called for CRTC chairman Ian Scott to investigate recent media reports about high-pressure sales tactics used by least one major company.

"Many of these aggressive sales practices appear to have targeted vulnerable consumers, including older Canadians, grieving spouses and blind customers," Lawford writes.

His letter refers to a CBC news investigation in November that began with allegations by Andrea Rizzo, a Bell call centre employee in Toronto who said she was under intense pressure to make a sale on every call.

The CBC reported later that it had received e-mails from dozens of Bell customers with various complaints and that a "flood" of Bell employees, past and present, had followed Rizzo's lead in speaking out about the stress they felt from pressure to meet sales targets.
    "Anecdotally, we've had complaints from customers that this is happening at other companies," Lawford said.

He said that the CRTC would be able to provide a transparent forum to hear both the allegations and rebuttals.
    Lawford said an industry-wide inquiry into telecommunications services would serve a similar role as a probe into banking sales practices that's being conducted by the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada.

The FCAC probe was launched last year after another series of CBC articles, beginning with allegations about sales practices at Toronto-Dominion Bank that later included all of Canada's major banks...

Feedback Score
    I got another promotional call from Bell today to check in on how I am doing. Now that I'm on to them I did ask about the internal pressures and of course he denied it.

Since the last call I had upgraded/downgraded to the $60 10GB plan and the guy on the line gave me a special deal for only $5 since I am an old customer, for the Bundle 5 package that gives me international text and voicemail to text. I said sounds good, add that to my plan.

So just now I checked on how special I am and the Bundle 5 is regularly $5/mo.

Didn't want to say it.... but what a shyster.... Yeah right.... I'm special... a special sucker....

Oh well, I needed the international texting anyway to text my son in the U.S.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    They also get paid for add-ons

Some depts get residuals & some get a flat fee for volumes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    They also get paid for add-ons

Some depts get residuals & some get a flat fee for volumes
    I am totally fine that people get paid for add-ons, volumes since they do need to make a living but I really hate liars, scammers and shysters; don't tell me how special I am :-P

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Mini 2, MacBook Pro 13”
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I think I’m the only happy Bell customer, whose always had good service and low, steady prices.

Sent from my iPhone X on Bell’s network using Tapatalk Pro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast