Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Verizon MVNO with 4G + yearly plan (or monthly < $8/mo)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    56
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon MVNO with 4G + yearly plan (or monthly < $8/mo)

    I currently have pageplus yearly plan $80/year 2000min which is fine - except it only works with 3G only phones - and I'd like to update to something newer - are there any similar providers (Verizon preferred) that allow newer 4G phone ( I don't actually care about the 4G just want a '15-'17 newer phone)

    thx

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,871
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
    I currently have pageplus yearly plan $80/year 2000min which is fine - except it only works with 3G only phones - and I'd like to update to something newer - are there any similar providers (Verizon preferred) that allow newer 4G phone ( I don't actually care about the 4G just want a '15-'17 newer phone)

    thx
    Red Pocket, Tracfone, and Expo Mobile are three Vzw MVNOs that come to mind that can cost less than $8/mo.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

    Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    56
    Feedback Score
    0
    Says that cheapest plan is $10/mo for 500/500 /500 (which is excellent) - but is there a way to get less

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,871
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
    based on the name, I'd assume it uses Verizon, however on the web site when selecting a plan it gives the following choices - does the 2nd option include Verizon?:
    I have an AT&T compatible or T-Mobile compatible phone or device
    I have a Sprint compatible or other CDMA phone compatible with another large wireless network
    What are you talking about?

    If you're talking about Red Pocket, you can choose from ANY of the 4 major US networks.

    These were recently on sale, but are all now back to their "regular" prices.

    100/100/500 Monthly @ $60/yr ($5/mo) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/132288143818

    500/500/500 Monthly @ $99/yr ($8.25/mo) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/132043269270

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,871
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
    Says that cheapest plan is $10/mo for 500/500 /500 (which is excellent) - but is there a way to get less
    Again, you didn't say which of the three providers I mentioned you're referring to, but It sounds like Red Pocket. I already posted links to the RP annual plans that are closest to your requested price.

    The $60/yr plan was recently on sale for $54 and $55, and the $99/yr plan was recently on sale for $84.99 and $89.99. There's a chance that they could go back on sale, but nobody knows when.

    Also, there is SO much info already posted about Red Pocket in recent threads, it would be good for you to search and read a little

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,414
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
    Says that cheapest plan is $10/mo for 500/500 /500 (which is excellent) - but is there a way to get less
    Buy the 1-year plans from eBay.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    56
    Feedback Score
    0
    Gotcha - I didn't see the 1 yr plan on the website, but I can buy from eBay the $60/yr is perfect - thanks!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,871
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    I see you deleted, or maybe edited, the post I quoted in my 2nd reply, but hopefully the info in my answer was helpful.

    Is the RP 100/100/500 for $60/yr ($5/mo) a good fit for your usage?

    Are you planning to use cellular data? If not, and if you need more minutes, Expo Mobile might be a better fit at as little as $3.33/mo. Expo's $10/90 day plan will provide you with ~166 min/mo, at $0.02/min ($10/3 = $3.33/mo / $0.02/min = ~166 min/mo). The # of available minutes would be reduced if you also text some, which is also deducted at $0.02/SMS. The only downside to Expo is that there is no rollover, and there is no data available on the $10/90 day plan.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,786
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Is there still a Puppy plan for $80 annual that allows 4G devices (VZW)? And does Selectel still offer their $100 annual that allows 4G phones (VZW)? These are more money but just mentioning for inclusiveness. Red Pocket would appear to have them all beat these days (or Expo for their by-the-minute plan).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,871
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Is there still a Puppy plan for $80 annual that allows 4G devices (VZW)? And does Selectel still offer their $100 annual that allows 4G phones (VZW)? These are more money but just mentioning for inclusiveness. Red Pocket would appear to have them all beat these days (or Expo for their by-the-minute plan).
    The $80 PW plan is for 3G only phones, so it wouldn't do cgott42 any good, since the goal is to upgrade to a newer LTE phone.

    Selectel discontinued their $100/year annual plan. http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017...nual-plan.html

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,786
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    I figured as much. Then the choice is clear!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    56
    Feedback Score
    0
    ExpoMobile - Pay as you go = $10 for 90 = $3.33/mo + ~$2/mo (assuming 100 min talk) - no data = $5.33/mo
    Red Pocket = 100/100/500 Monthly @ $60/yr ($5/mo)
    so both are about the same price with RP offering a little data if needed

    what do I need to know when picking out a phone for RP - can I buy any Verizon , clean ESN phone on eBay?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,871
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
    ExpoMobile - Pay as you go = $10 for 90 = $3.33/mo + ~$2/mo (assuming 100 min talk) - no data = $5.33/mo
    Red Pocket = 100/100/500 Monthly @ $60/yr ($5/mo)
    so both are about the same price with RP offering a little data if needed

    what do I need to know when picking out a phone for RP - can I buy any Verizon , clean ESN phone on eBay?
    There is no "~$2/mo" extra for Expo Mobile. What are you talking about? Or has something changed?

    Also, Red Pocket isn't "offering a little data", it is 500MB/mo, which is a significant amount of data.

    If no data is needed, and especially if more than 100min/mo is needed, Expo's $3.33/mo is clearly better.

    But if data is needed, and if 100min/mo is enough, Red Pocket is clearly better.

    But either way there is no "~$2/mo" extra for Expo Mobile, unless something has changed.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    56
    Feedback Score
    0
    The calc for Expo Mobile is the pay as you go = $10 for 90 day (i.e. $3.33/mo) with no minutes - thus to get (avg) 100 min/month = 100 x $0.02 = $2/mo

    So it looks like Red Pocket works best for me. I'll start with the $10/mo plan to confirm it works well, then go with the $60/year (ebay card) -
    BTW - have the $60/yr ebay cards a regular thing - or just holiday sale?

    Lastly, what do I need to know when I buy a used phone (ebay) for red pocket - is it enough to be Verizon (preferred network) + clean ESN - or does it need to be unlocked? prepaid? etc?
    thx!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,871
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
    The calc for Expo Mobile is the pay as you go = $10 for 90 day (i.e. $3.33/mo) with no minutes - thus to get (avg) 100 min/month = 100 x $0.02 = $2/mo

    So it looks like Red Pocket works best for me. I'll start with the $10/mo plan to confirm it works well, then go with the $60/year (ebay card) -
    BTW - have the $60/yr ebay cards a regular thing - or just holiday sale?

    Lastly, what do I need to know when I buy a used phone (ebay) for red pocket - is it enough to be Verizon (preferred network) + clean ESN - or does it need to be unlocked? prepaid? etc?
    thx!
    Did you read my posts above?

    That's not how Expo Mobile works! The $10/90 days credits the account $10. Then usage is deducted from that $10 at $0.02/min!
    $10 / $0.02 = 500min / ~3 mo = ~166 min/mo!

    Also, I already said the RP $60/yr is the "regular" price (for as long as RP decides to keep offering it). The SALE price has recently bee $54/yr and $55/yr.

    There are work-arounds for using a Vzw prepaid phone on a Vzw MVNO, but they will only work on Vzw prepaid unless you do some finagling.

    The safest way to go is to buy an unlocked phone that is compatible with Vzw MVNOs, which include the non-carrier branded Moto G4, G4 Play, and G4 Plus, Moto E4 and E4 Plus, Moto G5 Plus, and Moto G5S Plus. Used or new Vzw postpaid phones will also work, as long as the ESN is clean. There are a couple Alcatel phones that also work on Vzw.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wishful thinking - Verizon MVNO with shared plan
    By phonecheapskate in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-09-2015, 10:50 PM
  2. Plans Verizon iphone 5 in verizon MVNO with a pay-as-you-go plan
    By lamoses in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-13-2014, 09:19 PM
  3. best Sprint or Verizon MVNO with bring your own iPhone?
    By brettmaxwell in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-13-2014, 02:23 PM
  4. Any Verizon MVNOs with a monthly unlimited voice-only plan for $25 or less?
    By slyphoxj in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-13-2013, 03:53 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks