Thread: Best plan for Mexico roaming ?

Feedback Score

Best plan for Mexico roaming ?

Hello Folks

I travel to Mexico for work approx twice a month. Which plan is best for data and phone calls within Mexico ? Also, a need exists to call Mexican numbers while in the USA. So the plan should include that ability.

I have read about the Unlimited Plan but am a little shocked at the speed, 3 Mbps download ? That is a huge change from my current LTE speeds of 30 Mbps routinely.

Thanks for all the info

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, verizon
    Feedback Score
    Get the unlimited plus plan. LTE speeds aren't artificially throttled

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger32 View Post
    The Unlimited Plus plan also includes calls and texts to Mexico and Canada and free talk, text and data roaming in Mexico and Canada. https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

Sent from my AT&T iPhone X using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    thanks everyone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger32 View Post
    This seems somewhat expensive, $90 a month for one line. Any other recommendations say in the $50 range ?

Thank you

Device(s)
    IPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n4866b View Post
    This seems somewhat expensive, $90 a month for one line. Any other recommendations say in the $50 range ?

Thank you
    Not from AT&T. You could check out Cricket...they offer plans that include Mexican use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hello Folks

I travel to Mexico for work approx twice a month. Which plan is best for data and phone calls within Mexico ? Also, a need exists to call Mexican numbers while in the USA. So the plan should include that ability.

I have read about the Unlimited Plan but am a little shocked at the speed, 3 Mbps download ? That is a huge change from my current LTE speeds of 30 Mbps routinely.

Thanks for all the info
    Are you staying within big cities? Only asking because if you go the Cricket route as recommended above (for a lower price point) it doesn't include roaming on Mexico's largest network (Telcel). Just AT&T MX and Movistar if there's no AT&T signal.

Unless things have changed, Sprint was limited to Movistar a year ago.

T-Mobile is limited to Telcel and Movistar. Telcel roaming is a bit slow at times. Could be the fact that there's so many people visiting from the US for the Christmas/New Year's season.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    see here for the coverage of Mexico & Canada - https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...mer/plans.html

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Are you staying within big cities? Only asking because if you go the Cricket route as recommended above (for a lower price point) it doesn't include roaming on Mexico's largest network (Telcel). Just AT&T MX and Movistar if there's no AT&T signal.

Unless things have changed, Sprint was limited to Movistar a year ago.

T-Mobile is limited to Telcel and Movistar. Telcel roaming is a bit slow at times. Could be the fact that there's so many people visiting from the US for the Christmas/New Year's season.
    Yea, where there is AT&T coverage, it’s nice to be able to choose from all 3: Movistar, Telcel, or AT&T. Since T-Mobile and VZW customers all get rounded up on Movistar or Telcel, at least for me, most places AT&T is the least congested.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My Dad's business plan let's me roam in Canada and Mexico, it acts like On-Network Usage.

Feedback Score

Best plan for Mexico roaming ?

Thank you
    $90 for full speed LTE, 10GB of 4G hotspot, unlimited roaming in Mexico and Canada, free international text to over 100 countries is not expensive, especially on a postpaid network plan like AT&T.

T-Mobile is $75 for a similar plan but only 5GB of roaming data per month in Canada and Mexico. Calls to North American numbers are included for free.

Prepaid carrier Cricket (owned by AT&T) compares slightly which offers Mexico roaming on the $60 plan but all Cricket plans are throttled to 8Mbps on LTE and 4Mbps on 3G/HSPA+4G.

Prepaid carrier MetroPCS (owned by T-Mobile) offers roaming in Mexico starting on their $40 5GB plan. They offer unlimited data starting on their $50 plan. They also offer a $5/month Mexico unlimited

Prepaid carrier Boost Mobile (owned by Sprint) offers a $50 unlimited plan and a $5 “Todo Mexico” add on which allows calls to and roaming in Mexico.

Keep in mind the prepaid carriers are going to require a compatible phone either purchased outright or brought to them for use. Postpaid carriers are more expensive but easier to get a good high quality flagship phone out the door rather than a cheap entry-level smart phone. If the service is all you’re concerned with and the phone doesn’t matter as much, or you have an unlocked phone that will work on one of the cheaper carriers that offer roaming then your best bet to save money will be to pick one of the prepaid carriers.

Also important to keep in mind is that each US company has partnered with different Mexican phone companies for roaming service. This means if the area you’re going to has great service with a certain phone company you’ll want to figure that out, then find out which US carrier has partnered with them.