Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth tethering with AT&T

Device(s)
    s6edge,galaxyalpha,notepro12.5gsm,s4,s3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,ORANGE
    Feedback Score

Bluetooth tethering with AT&T

Hello to all i am still scratching my head on this one. I purchased a navigation device for my vehicle (TomTom) and for traffic updates the configuration is to use the Bluetooth tethering method. And of course i have a branded AT&T S7 and it looks like AT&T has disabled the option. I went one step further and looked at my friends S7 edge factory unlocked (The USA Version) and viola the option was there. I don not understand At&t madness and obsession on crippling their phones. I think i will be done with the AT&T branded phones. Yes i understand volte is not supported or WiFi calling and that is another separate issue my understanding is that T mobil allows all the above options on factory unlocked phones ,,But unfortunately T mobil is kind of crappy in my area

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The carrier has no control of a Bluetooth connection. It might be possible for a certain internet site from be blocked (especially with the repeal of Net Neutrality) but I seriously doubt it. More than likely your phone and the Tom Tom device aren't correctly paired up.
    "
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    the Bluetooth tethering might be meant for cars with Bluetooth built in.

Feedback Score
    Do you have a plan which includes the personal hotspot? For some plans AT&T will disable this feature.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Bluetooth connectivity is a function of the phone and connected devices independent from the calling plan.

Feedback Score
    To me "tethering" by bluetooth implies connecting to the internet by using the phone as a hotspot which AT&T can disable/enable. My initial read was the OP was attempting to tether by bluetooh rather than connect by pairing the devices.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,ORANGE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    To me "tethering" by bluetooth implies connecting to the internet by using the phone as a hotspot which AT&T can disable/enable. My initial read was the OP was attempting to tether by bluetooh rather than connect by pairing the devices.

Yes true tethering via blue tooth... on att branded phones that option is not available unless i am missing something ???? i do not see the toggle for that option but i do see it when i slip my att sim card into the unlocked none branded phone i use when i travel to Europe

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,ORANGE
    Feedback Score
    yes i do have tethering

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,ORANGE
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=veriztd;16941203]Bluetooth connectivity is a function of the phone and connected devices independent from the calling plan.[/QUOT

????? i am talking about blue tooth tethering

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyman1450 View Post
    Yes true tethering via blue tooth... on att branded phones that option is not available unless i am missing something ???? i do not see the toggle for that option but i do see it when i slip my att sim card into the unlocked none branded phone i use when i travel to Europe

I have the option to Bluetooth tether with my AT&T iPhone.

Device(s)
    LG G5, G3, G Pad X 10.1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    I have the option to Bluetooth tether with my AT&T iPhone.
    My branded LG G5 has Bluetooth tethering. Any chance tethering isn't enabled on OP's plan?
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper and Sensorly for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively to both projects in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Feedback Score
    my AT&T Pantech P9090 has Bluetooth tethering. maybe not all phones support Bluetooth tethering.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=harleyman1450;16941427]
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Bluetooth connectivity is a function of the phone and connected devices independent from the calling plan.[/QUOT ????? i am talking about blue tooth tethering
    try this youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msx1Y1LeeLc

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I must confess that I had only used Bluetooth for headphones, speakers and connection to my car Bluetooth. Never used to tether.

Sent from my SM-G935P using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Most tethering uses WiFi but some devices such as TomTom and Garmin tether by bluetooh.

My wife reminded me we had a bluetooth connection problem with a Garmin which has lifetime maps. The problem was resolved with a Garmin firmware update.
    Last edited by CallmeJake; 12-16-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast