Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: I Just Asked A Simple Question.....

Device(s)
    BB Passport, MS 650DS, W10 Alcatel Idol 4s
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score

I Just Asked A Simple Question.....

.....and now I'm more confused than ever.

Over the past few weeks Freedom has been testing LTE in Toronto and I've been trying to get into those areas to test it out for myself. The Problem is, I'm constantly getting conflicting information from Freedom as to my phone's compatibility (Currently using BB Leap and Passport, both can operate on LTE bands 4, 7, 13(12) but new SIM only reads 2G, 3G, 4G but not LTE. Also SIM data and MMS is still set and LOCKED to WIND. Both devices were bought factory unlocked direct from BB):

a) In Answer To My Question(s) "Is My Phone Compatible?" I've received the following answers:

i) Yes;
    ii) Yes but you need a new SIM card;
    iii) Yes but as your device is older you'll need to wait;
    iv) No.

b) In Answer To My Questions re: SIM Card Settings:

i) It's fine on its current settings, no need to change them;
    ii) You'll need to change the Data and MMS Settings;
    iii) We have no idea;
    iv) No, SIM will default to new settings;
    v) No idea why SIM won't default to new settings but you'll be fine;
    vi) No idea why SIM won't default to new settings, you're screwed.

My experience in the past is that WIND/Freedom users have a far better understanding of how things work and I'm hoping that someone here can tell me if I'm wasting my time searching for LTE or not. Quite frankly, 3G+ is working well for me and I don't really need LTE but if I can hop onto that network it'll be a bonus.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus (128GB version)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    .....and now I'm more confused than ever.

Over the past few weeks Freedom has been testing LTE in Toronto and I've been trying to get into those areas to test it out for myself. The Problem is, I'm constantly getting conflicting information from Freedom as to my phone's compatibility (Currently using BB Leap and Passport, both can operate on LTE bands 4, 7, 13(12) but new SIM only reads 2G, 3G, 4G but not LTE. Also SIM data and MMS is still set and LOCKED to WIND. Both devices were bought factory unlocked direct from BB):

a) In Answer To My Question(s) "Is My Phone Compatible?" I've received the following answers:

i) Yes;
    ii) Yes but you need a new SIM card;
    iii) Yes but as your device is older you'll need to wait;
    iv) No.

b) In Answer To My Questions re: SIM Card Settings:

i) It's fine on its current settings, no need to change them;
    ii) You'll need to change the Data and MMS Settings;
    iii) We have no idea;
    iv) No, SIM will default to new settings;
    v) No idea why SIM won't default to new settings but you'll be fine;
    vi) No idea why SIM won't default to new settings, you're screwed.

My experience in the past is that WIND/Freedom users have a far better understanding of how things work and I'm hoping that someone here can tell me if I'm waisting my time searching for LTE or not. Quite frankly, 3G+ is working well for me and I don't really need LTE but if I can hop onto that network
    I got a P6 SIM Card the day after Freedom bought the additional spectrum, so I would not run into this problem (I cleared this with Corporate and went to a Corporate store). I hit a 4G connection on both a ZE551ML and ZE552KL, both from Asus on a P5 SIM Card(they don't tell you if it's LTE, you have to figure that one out, since the phone won't tell you it's on LTE). I would not say you are wasting your time, but I updated the "LTE in Toronto" section with what happened yesterday on my travels.

The ZE551ML is 2 years old and the ZE552KL is a year old and both of them connected to 4G. You're using a P6 SIM right? My father has a P5 SIM and is on LTE. That was the SIM used to test in the Asus Phones. There was no way I was going to remove my P6 to test from my Apple. Getting my phone out from an Otterbox Defender wasn't an option.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8666 View Post
    I got a P6 SIM Card the day after Freedom bought the additional spectrum, so I would not run into this problem (I cleared this with Corporate and went to a Corporate store). I hit a 4G connection on both a ZE551ML and ZE552KL, both from Asus on a P5 SIM Card(they don't tell you if it's LTE, you have to figure that one out, since the phone won't tell you it's on LTE). I would not say you are wasting your time, but I updated the "LTE in Toronto" section with what happened yesterday on my travels.

The ZE551ML is 2 years old and the ZE552KL is a year old and both of them connected to 4G. You're using a P6 SIM right? My father has a P5 SIM and is on LTE. That was the SIM used to test in the Asus Phones. There was no way I was going to remove my P6 to test from my Apple. Getting my phone out from an Otterbox Defender wasn't an option.
    I picked up a new SIM a couple of weeks ago which I'm assuming is the latest and greatest, how do I tell?

Amongst everything else I've been told I was informed that if I lock onto LTE it would show as 4G just because of the way my devices are set up but speed tests aren't any faster than they were previously so I'm assuming I'm not connecting.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile/Wind
    Feedback Score
    Reddit reported having same issue with BB and has nothing to do with FM but it’s to do with BB having an old blackberry internet service (BIS) add-on enabled from many years ago. Give them a call to see if your BB has the old BIS add-on enabled and have them to turn it off.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus (128GB version)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    I picked up a new SIM a couple of weeks ago which I'm assuming is the latest and greatest, how do I tell?

Amongst everything else I've been told I was informed that if I lock onto LTE it would show as 4G just because of the way my devices are set up but speed tests aren't any faster than they were previously so I'm assuming I'm not connecting.
    Look on the SIM Card and see it P6A is stamped on it. Or look on the card you punched the SIM off of. On the bottom after freedommobile.ca

4G in this thread could mean LTE or even H+. My Dad's Samsung showed 4G when it was an H+ connection before LTE. We were actually discussing that since the 4G icon is at best misleading.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    I have had all those explanations from FM as well. I have BB KeyOne and has band 4 and 7. Don't see lte on my phone just 4g. I have three BB dtek 50, all see lte and an iPhone 6 sees it as well. All older models and I got all our Sims from corporate store. Don't understand

sent by my BB KeyOne
    Lucky Albertan who has five $59 lte plans = $33 each with discounts. And am not moving to new plans without my 1GB data roaming Canada and USA. Love for the Blackberry KEYone

Device(s)
    Blackßerry Dtek50 & Passport
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Lte will not work on BlackBerry OS10 devices until they upgrade their coding on their sim cards. I doubt FM will spend the money to do it since OS10 has been abandoned by everyone including BlackBerry
    ""Wine'm, dine'm, sixty9'm""

Device(s)
    BlackBerry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Am glad I have the KeyOne then being android but it still seems to baffle FM

sent by my BB KeyOne

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    It isn't just BB10 devices.

My wife's Priv only shows 4G when she is sitting beside my old Moto that was seeing band 4 LTE.

It's something about the blackberry.

(Maybe the Paratek radios? Do the newer ones use them?)

Sent from my LG-H933 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Device(s)
    BlackBerry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Its baffling for sure as my older blackberry dtek50s three of them all have lte showing. Just checked with FM again and they still say they will launch lte in YEG December but no date. Not to be confused with band 66. This is 4 and 7. Bummer about the PRIV not getting anymore monthly updates

Device(s)
    BlackBerry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Sirtate, are you going to take advantage of the upgrade when they announce it for the Priv?

sent by my BB KeyOne

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keefrto View Post
    Sirtate, are you going to take advantage of the upgrade when they announce it for the Priv?

sent by my BB KeyOne
    Unfamiliar with the deal.

Elaborate?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8666 View Post
    Look on the SIM Card and see it P6A is stamped on it. Or look on the card you punched the SIM off of. On the bottom after freedommobile.ca

4G in this thread could mean LTE or even H+. My Dad's Samsung showed 4G when it was an H+ connection before LTE. We were actually discussing that since the 4G icon is at best misleading.
    I'm assuming the longer number is a serial number, the other number is GDP6A so that looks like it's the correct one.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchy_mitch View Post
    Lte will not work on BlackBerry OS10 devices until they upgrade their coding on their sim cards. I doubt FM will spend the money to do it since OS10 has been abandoned by everyone including BlackBerry
    For now this may well be true but I have been told that Freedom is so desperate to get everyone off of HSPA+ that it's inevitable a compatible SIM will be issued, if that's what the issue is. From what I've read elsewhere, BB10 devices aren't the only ones having issues. It seems there are a lot of different devices from different manufacturers that are 2+ years old having similar issues. When Freedom first sent me the text saying LTE had been added to my plan there was a link to check to see if my devices were compatible, or at least would be. Both my BB10 devices came up as compatible with bands 4&7 when it's available.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    Unfamiliar with the deal.

Elaborate?

BB and TCL are working on an exchange programme for BBOS and BB10 devices, I've not seen the Priv specifically mentioned in anything BB has said to date.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast